Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Imagine not having a vote: are you sure you are on the new Register?

Funny stuff happens around compiling the Electoral Register.

People can even find themselves off it after being on it for years.

Every so often a short window opens - this is when you can check and make sure you still have your right to vote recognised.

http://www.checktheregister.ie/Publi...t.aspx?uiLang=

In Focus - Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government

The official publicity misleadingly refers to 25 November. The last date for receipt of corrections or new applications is the day before that - 24 November. Watch out for that.

The new register will decide who gets to vote for instance on the civil marriage equality referendum due next year.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sound advice He3, the next election (independence day) is on the horizon, the sands of time are quickly running out for the current administration, the tingle of election is making its presence felt in the corridors of Leinster House.

That's a handy link.

Good job you put that up.
    My Wife has been kicked off the register.

My suspicion is that they just remove people in the knowledge that party supporters will be sure to check in good time they are on it and the less engaged will be less likely to do so.

If you can eliminate say, 5% of the electorate who are most likely swing voters, you can skew the results. Sounds like a mad, internet style conspiracy theory until you see stuff like the incorrect date listed. Makes you wonder. Why exactly are people just removed without explanation?

Lots of things sound like mad, internet style conspiracies until they are actually proven to be true. I lost out on my vote because of being removed for no reason, thing is, I had checked in good time and was on it, grand, then a thread went up about it on here and just out of curiosity I checked again. Gone. No reason. Too late at that stage of course. I was f*cking livid.

My advice, assume that you are not on it and check, check and check again. I'd rather be paranoid with a vote than content without one. Of course I'm still at a loss as to who to vote for but that of course is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by macs magic View Post
    Good job you put that up.
    My Wife has been kicked off the register.
    Glad to help!

The new post codes will make it so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Funny stuff happens around compiling the Electoral Register.
    People can even find themselves off it after being on it for years.
    Every so often a short window opens - this is when you can check and make sure you still have your right to vote recognised. ...
    The official publicity misleadingly refers to 25 November. The last date for receipt of corrections or new applications is the day before that - 24 November. Watch out for that.
    The new register will decide who gets to vote for instance on the civil marriage equality referendum due next year.
    What a pity for the political elites that there are no voting computers in use. It could be just a matter of "one-flipping-the-bit" and you are the winner.

Another very important matter is, that when entries on the Electoral Register are disappearing it (might) means:
    - many persons have authorization to make data entries, data updates, data deletes, data changes at random;
    - it could mean they are still working with Microsoft Excel Sheets (?) and no centralized data storage and processing;
    - no regular saves on external data storage;
    - may be Operating System change in many data process places;
    - after an installation of a new Operating System no data tests programs running with checking if the processed output is correct.
    And I can go on and on.

The main thing might be: no tight data security and no proper Authorization of who is allowed to do what on the Data Processing System.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEyes View Post
    What a pity for the political elites that there are no voting computers in use. It could be just a matter of "one-flipping-the-bit" and you are the winner.

Another very important matter is, that when entries on the Electoral Register are disappearing it (might) means:
    - many persons have authorization to make data entries, data updates, data deletes, data changes at random;
    - it could mean they are still working with Microsoft Excel Sheets (?) and no centralized data storage and processing;
    - no regular saves on external data storage;
    - may be Operating System change in many data process places;
    - after an installation of a new Operating System no data tests programs running with checking if the processed output is correct.
    And I can go on and on.

The main thing might be: no tight data security and no proper Authorization of who is allowed to do what on the Data Processing System.
    Jesus, you don't have the first idea of how data is managed, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post

Lots of things sound like mad, internet style conspiracies until they are actually proven to be true. I lost out on my vote because of being removed for no reason, thing is, I had checked in good time and was on it, grand, then a thread went up about it on here and just out of curiosity I checked again. Gone. No reason. Too late at that stage of course. I was f*cking livid.

My advice, assume that you are not on it and check, check and check again. I'd rather be paranoid with a vote than content without one. Of course I'm still at a loss as to who to vote for but that of course is another issue.
    I love it when mad internet conspiracies turn out to be true

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment