Register to Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

and what about my desire to live in a log cabin, off the grid and anonymous ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Jesus, you don't have the first idea of how data is managed, do you?

Most people including myself would have no idea how the electoral register is managed, since I registered for the first time I have only changed address once, so hopefully some of the more informed contributors could enlighten some of the less well informed such as myself

Quote Originally Posted by Uh oooh View Post
    Most people including myself would have no idea how the electoral register is managed, since I registered for the first time I have only changed address once, so hopefully some of the more informed contributors could enlighten some of the less well informed such as myself
    Let's put it this way: data at that volume is not kept on Excel spreadsheets. It'll be kept on very large scale servers running SQL, DB2, IMS or CICS. There will be daily integrity checks with trigger file and regression testing. No significant system change will be performed without before and after checks. All of this will be very strictly audited by external sources.

Thanks for that Des, your answer does lead to some another questions, how secure is the data, and who are the external auditors, and how trustworthy are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Uh oooh View Post
    Thanks for that Des, your answer does lead to some another questions, how secure is the data, and who are the external auditors, and how trustworthy are they?
    I was a bit harsh there, but the controls are very very strict indeed. Seriously strict.

I deal with it almost daily.

I'm registered and all set to vote No to homosexual marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Funny stuff happens around compiling the Electoral Register.

People can even find themselves off it after being on it for years.

Every so often a short window opens - this is when you can check and make sure you still have your right to vote recognised.

The official publicity misleadingly refers to 25 November. The last date for receipt of corrections or new applications is the day before that - 24 November. Watch out for that.

The new register will decide who gets to vote for instance on the civil marriage equality referendum due next year.
    Thanks for that, I just checked and I am not registered on the draft register for 2015-16.
    Do you know why this would be? I have voted in every local, national and presidential election since moving back to Ireland in '02
    BTW my apologies for editing your post, I had to remove the links to quote you.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I was a bit harsh there, but the controls are very very strict indeed. Seriously strict.

I deal with it almost daily.

Again thanks for that Des and much better informed and relieved that conscientious public servants are standing watch

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    I'm registered and all set to vote No to homosexual marriage.
    Yep, Zappone gets right up my nose as well. Gilmore was a right pr1ck to appoint her to our national senate.

But I'm still going to vote to allow her to carry on however and with whomsoever she wishes behind the closed doors of her Dermot Bannon re-designed love nest in the foothills of the Dublin mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileysHero View Post
    Thanks for that, I just checked and I am not registered on the draft register for 2015-16.
    Do you know why this would be? I have voted in every local, national and presidential election since moving back to Ireland in '02
    BTW my apologies for editing your post, I had to remove the links to quote you.
    Two posters with strange stories of unexplained removal from the Register already?! Yourself and post #4 macs magic. What are the odds?

To your question: I do not know, and I suggest you ask when, why and by whom you were deleted. Who to ask?

Your local authority is the registration authority - typically they organise it through an office of the authority called the Franchise Office. Your local authority CEO (formerly called County or City Manager) is responsible ultimately for the proper running of the office.

The County Registrar for the area - who is nothing to do with the Local Authority but is an independent Circuit Court officer - also has a role in supervising the Register and deciding on a person's eligibility in line with the Electoral Act 1992. Address is usually c/o your local main Courthouse. Check online.

So if you want to chase up the removal you could send a nice note to both places and see what they say.

More - Electoral Act, 1992, Section 6
    Last edited by He3; 5th November 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment