Register to Comment
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Updated for July:
    FF support up, FG/Lab down: opinion poll - RTÉ News

Don't think there was an MRBI/RedC one for July was there?
    I thought saying it was the end of the month that there would have been an opinion poll out this weekend or last by Red C for the SBP but it didn't appear. Red C did a poll in and around mid July when the anglo tapes were in full swing so perhaps that was covering July for them.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Yeah I have the Red C one (It was published at the very end of June), but I can't see anything since. Odd. RedC » Blog Archive » Fianna Fail Support Falters, Rather than Collapses - Research & Marketing Ltd

Rite, sorry. I thought it was further into July.

Odd is rite, usually in the 5 weeks since that last one published a company would have carried out a poll. In fairness they were very regular there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Here's a graphical representation of the poll tracking from the start of 2013. It includes MRBI, RedC and Millward-Brown as well as a poll of polls.

Admittedly the poll of polls isn't perfect because MRBI don't run every month and they also count Greens separately. For my sanity I've included the Greens in the Others section for the Poll of Polls. It's starting from Feb as I can't find a Millward or MRBI from Jan.

I'll update it as required when new polls come out. If anyone could find MRBI or Millward polls from Jan or any MRBIs for March or April, or better yet suggest another statistically measured poll (i.e: No internet or radio polls) that would be awesome.

Red C Polls:

Millward-Brown Polls:

MRBI Polls:

Poll of Polls:

There is a fundamental rule in political science: never ever ever do a 'poll of polls' where polls are using different weightings. It is like trying to average out financial transactions where different bits of the transaction are in pounds, euro, dollars and yen, without converting them all into the one curency. Each poll will have a large number of variables unique to it - different weightings, different margins or error, different sample sizes, different time spans.

Polls of polls can only be done if you strip out all the variables, but in some polls that is an impossibility because one of the variables that differs may be whether it they use random sampling or stratified sampling, and whether or not they use rolling polls.

It is possible to do polls of polls if all the polls done have identical variables. Because First Past the Post is such a simple (and ridiculous) electoral system it is possible sometimes to use polls of polls in the UK because some of their pollsters don't use different variables. But in Ireland, where we have a complex electoral system, all pollsters use complex variables which they believe capture public opinion best. I remember the late Jack Jones of MRBI, who taught a class I was in about polls, saying that when he saw anyone on TV in Ireland trying to do a poll of polls he felt like throwing something at them on the screen in frustration. The guys from IMS who lectured us said the same. It was and is a fundamental no-no with Irish political polls. They simply aren't compatible for averaging because they all use diametrically opposed weightings and calculations and well as different sample sizes and so different margins of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    Rite, sorry. I thought it was further into July.

Odd is rite, usually in the 5 weeks since that last one published a company would have carried out a poll. In fairness they were very regular there for a while.
    The word is 'right'. 'Rite' is a ceremony in a church!

Polls cost a lot of money. The SBP doesn't have a lot of money, so it is understandable if they don't do polls in summer months when they know the public isn't tuned into politics. They may axe the REDC polls entirely to save money, given their financial state.

It matters little as events closer to an election will be the deciding factors.

Quote Originally Posted by stakerwallace View Post
    It matters little as events closer to an election will be the deciding factors.
    No. Polls do matter now. They tell you know stable and so solid a party's support is. If it is rock solid, events close to an election won't shift it. If it is weak, they will.

Next Irish general election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Results from all polls taken since the General Election of 2011.

^^^Nerd^^^

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment