Register to Comment

Has the count always been right?

The STV electoral-system is fairly complex and there is a lot of room for mistakes to be made in the counting of the votes. Today`s softwares can count a fairly accurate result very fast and as the actual counting is still done by hand, there is a double-check that there are no mistakes.

What about the past decades? I can only imagine counting of the votes of an Irish election in the 20`s and the 30`s when there were not even prober calculators at the time. Have there been any election-results in the past which have been overshadowed by doubt that there has been a mistake in the counting and the wrong person has got the seat in the Dail?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Well, the bigger the count is, the more accurate it becomes, as the less likely mistakes are to have an effect

I have worked in counts for the local elections. The checks and balances in place are quite comprehensive. We lost 20 votes during count 3 after checks were done. it took us 2 hours to find them, before count 4 could begin. I personally have every faith in the integrity of the count. Also as well as the internal checks you have very experienced tallymen watching your every move and they miss nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Invented Here
    I have worked in counts for the local elections. The checks and balances in place are quite comprehensive. We lost 20 votes during count 3 after checks were done. it took us 2 hours to find them, before count 4 could begin. I personally have every faith in the integrity of the count. Also as well as the internal checks you have very experienced tallymen watching your every move and they miss nothing.
    I`m not talking about fraud, I`m sure no such thing happens in Ireland, but about honest mistakes which have passed into results. Certainly not recently but surely there must be examples of such in the past decades.

The election-result will be known tomorrow but in the past decades it must have taken several days to achieve an accurate result.

Quote Originally Posted by irishdavew
    Well, the bigger the count is, the more accurate it becomes, as the less likely mistakes are to have an effect
    Not unless the margin between candidates is proportionally the same (ie a larger number of votes) - but a smaller number of votes would mean it's closer.

I am still suprised at hearing how the whole surplus distribution post-quota is distributed - surely this can make a difference, given the alignments of particular parties?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment