Register to Comment
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Nonsense. Read the post again. It is a 16 hour day which is equivalent to 2 working days. Now take the tax out of that and you are left with how much?

Your 2 weeks JSB/A payments are tax free.

Obviously you are not an unemployed bookkeeper or accountant.
    Somebody who is unemployed would not pay tax as their tax credits would be unused and they would have any tax refunded.

It still works out at two weeks benefit for 16 hours work.

As it seems to be such a pittance to you why not agree that the work should be reserved for the unemployed.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The OP is right. I have worked on these when I was a student. And TBH the jobs are kept for PS workers, PS retirees and their families. No argument there. In fingal people from the community are hired in, but again, they are known to the presiding officer or suggested to them by other staff.
    It is not right, but that is the way it is in Ireland.
    You're either on the inside or the outside.
    Too bad if you're an outsider. Outsider who?
    Some will take a paid days holiday from work to work on elections AND get well paid for a days work as well, whilst the unemployed get their 'paid stamps' benefits cut.
    Excellent pay day for some PS workers/Private sector workers who take a days paid holidays, not a bad pay day for students/unemployed who work the elections.

I agree with the op. These jobs, especially the simple polling clerk jobs, should go to the unemployed. No problem with the more senior jobs staying with those with experience.
    It seems we have a fundamental problem with sharing wealth in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    There is a widespread practice in public sector of people taking a day out of their holidays and getting a job here on polling day. The money paid is significant. With so many on the dole , the unemployed should get first preference for this work. Agree ?
    Maybe this is happening in your local polling station, but in mine the clerks are made up of people from all walks of life and recollecting last election none of them were public sector workers.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzgig View Post
    Maybe this is happening in your local polling station, but in mine the clerks are made up of people from all walks of life and recollecting last election none of them were public sector workers.
    Your polling station is not representative.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Have relatives and friends in PS who did this previously. I remember about 15 years ago trying to do some business with a court official and being told that almost the entire section would be off on polling day as they all had those jobs.
    In other words, its just heresay.

I don't know of any public sector agency or organisation that would allow "almost the entire section" to be on leave on the same day, especially with most of the public sector severly short staffed.

As johnfás has shown, priority will be given to those on the live registrar (in Dublin at least), as it should be with relevant experience and good character also being necessary I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by johndodger View Post

I don't know of any public sector agency or organisation that would allow "almost the entire section" to be on leave on the same day, especially with most of the public sector severly short staffed.

As johnfás has shown, priority will be given to those on the live registrar (in Dublin at least), as it should be with relevant experience and good character also being necessary I'm sure.
    I will believe that when I see it. These are not the only part time jobs that public sector workers take time off (holidays, sick days, etc) for. When I was a full time student, students had to compete for invigilating jobs with public sector employees, many of whom were teachers who took the days as "sick" days, resulting in the taxpayer having to pay them for their "sick" days and the cost of employing substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    Never advertised, "gifted" to friends and cronies.

As far as I am concerned public sector workers should be banned from taking up any other employment while employed in the public sector. This is a standard clause in contracts of employment in the private sector. There could be a case for part time employees, provided that these employees had not been given part time work/job sharing at their own request.
    What nonsence. I know of many private sector workers who have (or had) second and in some cases third jobs.

I'm public sector and my contract already forbids me for doing any other work that may be in conflict with my current job. But I could still work in a bar at night just as most people in the private sector can.

I know of no-one in the public sector who does this work - though given the repeated salary hits we've taken I would'nt blame any of them for applying; at my local polling station its mostly local retired people.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    Definetly happens. My area has the local councillors son in this for the last 5 election. His son owns the local shop and petrol station.
    So how is he a public sector worker then? Does the state own the shop and petrol station?
    Last edited by johndodger; 1st February 2011 at 04:52 PM.

I'm the one who heard it ! The excuse for not being able to do business was that there was only one person left in a particular section to answer phones , the rest had taken holidays to do the polling booth work. Since I first posted have also spoken to a local government official who is expecting to be doing that work again this election.

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    I will believe that when I see it. These are not the only part time jobs that public sector workers take time off (holidays, sick days, etc) for. When I was a full time student, students had to compete for invigilating jobs with public sector employees, many of whom were teachers who took the days as "sick" days, resulting in the taxpayer having to pay them for their "sick" days and the cost of employing substitutes.
    More heresay, or do you have any evidence of this?

What nonsence. I know of many private sector workers who have (or had) second and in some cases third jobs.

I'm public sector and my contract already forbids me for doing any other work that may be in conflict with my current job. But I could still work in a bar at night just as most people in the private sector can..
    In addition to ensuring that employees do not work for a competitor organisation, private sector employment contracts include a clause forbidding employees from working elsewhere during the course of the employment because of the requirements of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997. The Act states that the maximum average working week for many employees cannot exceed 48 hours. This type of clause protects the employer and ensures that employees are available, if necessary, to perform overtime for the organisation they are employed by. There may also be H&S issues if an employee is working a second job and therefore not getting the required rest periods set out under the legislation.

Working in excess of 48 hours per week would be in conflict with the requirements of your current job.

I know of no-one in the public sector who does this work - though given the repeated salary hits we've taken I would'nt blame any of them for applying; at my local polling station its mostly local retired people.
    Perhaps you do not, but these jobs have traditionally been "reserved" for those with contacts in the public sector and party cronies.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment