Register to Comment
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 626
Like Tree121Likes
  1. #1
    Schuhart Schuhart is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,196

    Dept of Education to review how Irish exemptions are granted

    Story here:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ed-848748.html

    I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bit
    Almost 60% of the 3,851 pupils who were granted an exemption from Irish in 2016 went on to study languages such as French, German or Spanish.

    A psychologists report is required to secure an exemption, however these are now being queried by senior educational figures, with some believing the system is being "gamed".
    Did anyone seriously think the system wasn't being gamed? Did anyone seriously believe that nearly 4,000 students had some defect that made them incapable of learning languages?

    Or was it just that no-one wanted to confront the issue?

    Answers on a postcard.

    Sorry, I just found it a really peculiar way of putting it. I mean, of course the system was gamed. Of course health professionals will sign off on anything that you pay them to sign off on, so long as they won't be sued. WTF?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    buttercookie buttercookie is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    873

    Irish should be completely optional to study in secondary school and if it was the children who are weak at english wouldnt have to hand over five hundred euros to a psychologist for a report.

    Some of the reports are printed off a word processor and ten children will get the same report word for word.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Prester Jim Prester Jim is offline
    Prester Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,938

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    Story here:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ed-848748.html

    I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bitDid anyone seriously think the system wasn't being gamed? Did anyone seriously believe that nearly 4,000 students had some defect that made them incapable of learning languages?

    Or was it just that no-one wanted to confront the issue?

    Answers on a postcard.

    Sorry, I just found it a really peculiar way of putting it. I mean, of course the system was gamed. Of course health professionals will sign off on anything that you pay them to sign off on, so long as they won't be sued. WTF?
    There is a severe disconnect between the DoES and reality. Every teacher knows and could have told them about the fact that it is gamed.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    livingstone livingstone is offline
    livingstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    22,550

    The fact that they studied other languages doesn't really say much.

    For some people, studying languages is made exponentially harder because of, for example, dyslexia. Some students, as a result, do not study languages. Others decide that they can put in the effort for one language but not two or three, and so they choose the one that will be of most value to them in career terms.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    fifilawe fifilawe is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    839

    Dept of Education to review how Irish exemptions are granted

    Story here:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ed-848748.html

    I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bit......


    Well OP I had to laugh when you quoted the website above as a "Reliable , resource for news ....." why don't you use similar "reliable sources " as Joe.ie, beaut.ie , thejournal.ie .............................................
    they are all copy and paste jobs with a few words edited to make 'em seem real.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Schuhart Schuhart is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,196

    Quote Originally Posted by fifilawe View Post
    Well OP I had to laugh when you quoted the website above as a "Reliable , resource for news ....." why don't you use similar "reliable sources " as Joe.ie, beaut.ie , thejournal.ie .............................................
    they are all copy and paste jobs with a few words edited to make 'em seem real.
    I don't particularly get the point you want to make.

    Would you prefer?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...xams-1.3529550

    Or

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-848748.html

    Or

    Dept. To Review How It Grants Irish Language Exemptions. | Kfm Radio

    Pretty much word for word the same story, as you say. Are you suggesting the story is inaccurate in some way?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    A Voice A Voice is offline
    A Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,533

    Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    The fact that they studied other languages doesn't really say much.

    For some people, studying languages is made exponentially harder because of, for example, dyslexia. Some students, as a result, do not study languages. Others decide that they can put in the effort for one language but not two or three, and so they choose the one that will be of most value to them in career terms.
    Which really has nothing to do with dyslexia at that point.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    mr_anderson mr_anderson is offline
    mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,120

    They need to stop compulsory Irish for the LC.

    Trying to ram down 'culture' & 'heritage' at one of the most stressful times in a persons life simply doesn't work.
    It's no surprise there's such a negative attitude towards the language.

    Nor is there any surprise the lengths parents go to get an exemption for their kids.

    Long past the time to make it optional.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    fifilawe fifilawe is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    839

    Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    I don't particularly get the point you want to make.

    Would you prefer?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...xams-1.3529550

    Or

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-848748.html

    Or

    Dept. To Review How It Grants Irish Language Exemptions. | Kfm Radio

    Pretty much word for word the same story, as you say. Are you suggesting the story is inaccurate in some way?
    these websites do not produce anything of any journalistic value they are simply copying the work of "real news sources and putting their 2c of value on it " to get clicks.They don't employ journalists , they employ computer operators who do copy, edit , and paste jobs on others' work.In school examinations parlance they are guilty of plagiarism.
    just consider if a reputable "News Source" leaked a "False World Exclusive with all bells and whistles" to find out who is just free-riding on their work.Within an hour or two " copycat websites would have their own version of the story with just small print links to the source of the story.Which company is to to pay damages to the parties defamed in the "stories released " to the world.?
    Last edited by fifilawe; 14th June 2018 at 02:05 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Skin the Goat Skin the Goat is offline
    Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,109

    Quote Originally Posted by buttercookie View Post
    Irish should be completely optional to study in secondary school and if it was the children who are weak at english wouldnt have to hand over five hundred euros to a psychologist for a report.

    Some of the reports are printed off a word processor and ten children will get the same report word for word.
    Well, I suppose it's better than a mimeograph
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment