Register to Comment
Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 626
Like Tree121Likes
  1. #591
    redneck redneck is offline
    redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,415

    Good to see Prince Harry and Meghan visiting Croke park and the Famine museum. Several posters, usually Unionists/Loyalists/FF or FG are always slagging off the GAA.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #592
    Darren J. Prior Darren J. Prior is online now
    Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,970

    Quote Originally Posted by Fun with Irish View Post
    Who knows what amount of Irish is used, or for what it is used, or at what level, in the small scattered human habitations.

    What is known is that in Letterkenny with a population of 18,317 Irish is 'spoken daily' by 2.9% and in the case of Galway with a population of 77,032 the figure is 3%.

    The frequency with which members of the 3% meet one another is not known.
    Maybe if only hundreds spoke Irish in the Gaeltacht- and as you know Letterkenny is not in the Gaeltacht and most of Galway City isn't either/officially or realistically) a dismissal of these people by you would be somewhat understandable. But we are talking about thousands of people speaking Irish regularly in the Gaeltacht. Your arrogance and snideness is often tiring.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #593
    yanshuf yanshuf is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    14,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    Maybe if only hundreds spoke Irish in the Gaeltacht- and as you know Letterkenny is not in the Gaeltacht and most of Galway City isn't either/officially or realistically) a dismissal of these people by you would be somewhat understandable. But we are talking about thousands of people speaking Irish regularly in the Gaeltacht. Your arrogance and snideness is often tiring.

    Thousand of people speaking a language is not enough to sustain it. There are some other things that should exist in order for a language to survive.

    And that's what we should be asking ourselves. If the language is spoken by enough people every day, used in all walks of life, and has new generations, and new audience - city people, workers, buyers, sellers, banks, computers, authors, offices etc... then mabe it can survive.

    But is that the situation? If one walks in a big city in Ireland today, can one hear Gaeilge?

    I suspect that the answer is no. And thus we're in a problem and I don't see how we solve it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #594
    aldiper aldiper is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,159

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    Yes it does. Tá tú mícheart. Níl an ceart agat.
    In fairness, nothing wrong with "Tá tú mícheart", if that is the sentiy they want to express. Rather than actual facts and figures, of course.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #595
    Fun with Irish Fun with Irish is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,561

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    Good to see Prince Harry and Meghan visiting Croke park and the Famine museum. Several posters, usually Unionists/Loyalists/FF or FG are always slagging off the GAA.
    But did you see?? The Royals did the Kooplah Fokkal!

    There's affirmation fr you!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #596
    Fun with Irish Fun with Irish is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,561

    Quote Originally Posted by yanshuf View Post
    .... If one walks in a big city in Ireland today, can one hear Gaeilge?

    I suspect that the answer is no. And thus we're in a problem and I don't see how we solve it.
    The people in question, the population of Ireland, who do not speak Gaelic, do not see any problem.

    So - in order to solve this problem somebody first has to find it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #597
    Fun with Irish Fun with Irish is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,561

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    ochon ochon ochon, woe whinge moan LOL
    Yes - the Gael Linn report on the inability of Irish teachers to teach Irish is pretty downbeat.

    But I would not say 'whinging'. They describe the emergency in teaching Irish that exists, but they also call for measures to train competent teachers.

    Don't be downhearted Redneck. Chuukky or Law.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #598
    yanshuf yanshuf is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    14,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Fun with Irish View Post
    The people in question, the population of Ireland, who do not speak Gaelic, do not see any problem.

    So - in order to solve this problem somebody first has to find it.

    Fine with me, then.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #599
    Hunter-Gatherer Hunter-Gatherer is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,486

    Give exemptions to 100% of the population. And then let Irish market itself on its merits. Same as any normal school subject.
    Last edited by Hunter-Gatherer; 12th July 2018 at 02:52 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #600
    yanshuf yanshuf is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    14,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter-Gatherer View Post
    Give exemptions to 100% of the population. And then let Irish market itself on its merits. Same as any normal school subject.

    That's a good idea, but I suspect that deep inside them, the pro-gaeilge posters understand that such a move would deprive them of their privileges - money to gaeilge and gaeltachts, forcing gaeilge on pupils.

    And they'd be right - they'd get much less money, but maybe then they'll be able to unite more people around this cause!!!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment