Register to Comment
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin: It's time to abolish single-sex schools

Can any of us genuinely argue that separating girls and boys in schools is a practice worth defending, asks Aodhán Ó Ríordáin.

So should abolish single-sex schools and force all school into being mixed-sex?

Seems a very drastic step to me
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

just abolish Aodhán Ó Ríordáin

Funny, in countries with only mixed school, they think of introducing them. So do not throw away what is actually well set up in Ireland. Just to ride the wave of political correctness and in mean time completely loose sight of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    Ha yes I think a lot of people would agree with that statement lol

Ali Selim ain't gonna like this one bit.

I had to google who he was

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    From the article:

We are strange when it comes to our gender-based education system. What is even stranger is that we don’t seem to want to talk about it.

Can any of us genuinely argue from a sound educationalist standpoint that separating girls and boys from their earliest days in primary school is a practice worth defending?

I’m quite sure there are many who will disagree with me. There are thousands of parents of pupils in single sex schools who will robustly defend their choice and the experience of their children in those same institutions.

I know exactly how they feel because I was a teacher and a principal of an all-girls primary school for 11 years and I loved every second of it. But no one should be frightened of a debate.

If we were to set a target of desegregating all our primary schools in the next 10 years, with community buy-in and taking account for the dynamics of each individual school, what would be the case against it?

Divini Illius Magistri (December 31, 1929)

68. False also and harmful to Christian education is the so-called method of "coeducation." This too, by many of its supporters, is founded upon naturalism and the denial of original sin; but by all, upon a deplorable confusion of ideas that mistakes a leveling promiscuity and equality, for the legitimate association of the sexes. The Creator has ordained and disposed perfect union of the sexes only in matrimony, and, with varying degrees of contact, in the family and in society. Besides there is not in nature itself, which fashions the two quite different in organism, in temperament, in abilities, anything to suggest that there can be or ought to be promiscuity, and much less equality, in the training of the two sexes. These, in keeping with the wonderful designs of the Creator, are destined to complement each other in the family and in society, precisely because of their differences, which therefore ought to be maintained and encouraged during their years of formation, with the necessary distinction and corresponding separation, according to age and circumstances. These principles, with due regard to time and place, must, in accordance with Christian prudence, be applied to all schools, particularly in the most delicate and decisive period of formation, that, namely, of adolescence; and in gymnastic exercises and deportment, special care must be had of Christian modesty in young women and girls, which is so gravely impaired by any kind of exhibition in public.

Twitter
    @

Irrespective of the religious aspect, I had always understood that there were educational advantages to single sex schools(especially for girls). Seems unreasonable to disadvantage one group to help another.

Cant stand O'Riordain , he's in my constituency and desperately shrieking to be reelected ..... He encapsulates everything I find distasteful about the current Irish Labour party......

But on this issue he's right
    Single sex education is ridiculous in the 21st century

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment