Register to Comment
Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree361Likes

27% of scientists & 67% of the public agree there is a Supreme Being who guided Evolution

27% of scientists & 67% of the public agree there is a Supreme Being who guided Human Evolution

That is the outcome of a poll held according to the Amárach Research.

They found that:

73 per cent of scientists and 33 per cent of the public disagreed with the proposition that “humans evolved over time guided by a supreme being”.

Conversely so 27% of scientists & 67% of the public agree there is a Supreme Being who guided Human Evolution!

It was conducted with 1,000 adults and 238 scientists – based on a research format applied elsewhere by the non-partisan think tank the Pew Research Centre.

Science Foundation Ireland commissioned the research, coinciding with Science Week Ireland 2017, to measure and compare opinions of the general public and the science community in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/scie...-god-1.3289351

TBH I though the numbers of scientists who believe in God would be a hell of a lot lower

Certainly in public life I doubt that many would put their nose over the parapet

Peer Group pressure?

But Good News all the same that a considerable number of Scientists do actually believe in God
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Non partisan, my árse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pew_Research_Center

Funding[edit]
    The Pew Research Center is a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization and a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts, its primary funder.[4][8] Some projects are funded by the Evangelical Protestant John Templeton Foundation.[9]

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    27% of scientists & 67% of the public agree there is a Supreme Being who guided Human Evolution

They found that:

73 per cent of scientists and 33 per cent of the public disagreed with the proposition that “humans evolved over time guided by a supreme being”.

Conversely so 27% of scientists & 67% of the public agree there is a Supreme Being who guided Human Evolution!

It was conducted with 1,000 adults and 238 scientists – based on a research format applied elsewhere by the non-partisan think tank the Pew Research Centre.

Science Foundation Ireland commissioned the research, coinciding with Science Week Ireland 2017, to measure and compare opinions of the general public and the science community in Ireland.

TBH I though the numbers of scientists who believe in God would be a hell of a lot lower

Certainly in public life I doubt that many would put their nose over the parapet

Peer Group pressure?

But Good News all the same that a considerable number of Scientists do actually believe in God
    Did any of that 1,000 interviewees take part in the movie, "Deliverance"?

There is an enormous false dichotomy in the OP. Huge and glaring.

They found that:

Peer Group pressure?

Why is it good news that they believe in a God ?

What difference does it make ?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    There is an enormous false dichotomy in the OP. Huge and glaring.
    Let him have his fun, Des. And conversely let us have our fun

I was more interested in the fact that only 65% think vaccines are a good idea. Who knew 35% of Irish people are morons?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    I was more interested in the fact that only 65% think vaccines are a good idea. Who knew 35% of Irish people are morons?
    Well, 31% for sure, according to the ST poll.

The singularity will provide all the answers when it comes which doesn't look like it's too far away now.

Of course this is dependent on us surviving long enough to reach singularity which cannot be guaranteed.

There may be a self destruct 'gene' built into us in order to prevent us getting there in order to preserve the Universe.

They found that:

Peer Group pressure?

If you disagree with the proposition that 'humans evolved over time guided by a supreme being', you may be disagreeing with the validity of the theory of evolution which would bring in many religious types and if you disagree that evolution is guided by a supreme being you may be of the opposing camp and be rational and given to an evidence based understanding of the world.

Baffled how this proposition didn't score disagreement rates in the nineteys.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment