Register to Comment
Page 81 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1760
Like Tree597Likes
  1. #801
    talkingshop talkingshop is offline
    talkingshop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    21,913

    Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Which was a commercially unviable decision
    How was it commericially unviable?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #802
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,724

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    No she didn't!
    If this is her delegating abortion issues, I can't wait to see what happens when she gets actively involved
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #803
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,724

    Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    How was it commericially unviable?
    Because it would have cost them another 6 grand in advertising.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #804
    Des Quirell Des Quirell is offline
    Des Quirell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    41,019

    Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    All very good - except the information the SU wanted to publish is all available on the net anyway to any student. No need for them to valiantly break the law here.
    That is not really relevant. Presumably the information is all over the 'net.

    If you're going to desist from publishing information that's already available via Google, then you would never publish.

    There was also the advertising revenue.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #805
    WTTR WTTR is offline
    WTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,267

    Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Or maybe she was hiding her activist past because she knew it would cost her votes.
    Precisely.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #806
    Paddyc Paddyc is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,681

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    What? That Paddyc didn't put himself forward under another name to hide who he was and his connections to a nasty organisation? Was that your point? Because that's what he's proven, you fúcking moron.
    Do I have to add that paddyc isn't my mother's maiden name or my name in Irish?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #807
    artfoley56 artfoley56 is offline
    artfoley56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8,121

    Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Or maybe she was hiding her activist past because she knew it would cost her votes.
    hidden in plain sight

    Katie Ascough | University Observer
    Katie Ascough announced UCDSU President : Trinity News | Ireland's Oldest Student Paper
    Thousands taking part in pro-choice rally in Dublin
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #808
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,724

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    That sounds like you’ve got an issue with the legal firm who offered the opinion then. Not the person who sought the opinion and took reasonable steps based on their explicit recommendation. She’s not a solicitor. A legal issue was raised to her. She reached out to a firm of solicitors. They gave her advice based on their interpretation of the law. She acted on that advice.

    No amount of squinting will get you to the conclusion “sher she should have just ignored the person who highlighted it to her or ignored the advice”. She acted in line with her role. You can accept that and still be pro-choice and recognise that the student body can impeach whoever they want for whatever reason they want.
    Raised to her by who? The union had been in the High Court in 1997 over this, won(ish) and decided to continue to publish.

    Are we credibly to believe she was unaware of this and it came as such a shock she had to react immediately?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #809
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,724

    Did you even read your links?

    However, one of the obvious omissions from Ascough’s manifesto is her position on repealing the 8th Amendment. A prominent pro-life campaigner, Ascough has been involved in the “Yes for neutrality” side of the union’s preferendum on abortion last semester.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #810
    edwin edwin is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,381

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    Do you think that on receipt of the legal advice she should have asked if she removed the reference to Bpas and Women on Web would it have then complied.

    Also given the fact that the DPP would have to take the case, and given the fact he hasn't seen fit to do so in 20 years means she'd run a neglible risk of being prosecuted. And even though it requires the DPP, it's only a DC case with paltry consequence. (we are not talking High Court barristers fees here folks) this being the legal advice:

    Hence, one would expect that the breach would need to be considered to be of a more serious nature to result in prosecution.


    And the advice then is that even if you ran that risk, the fine is max 4K plus the handbooks being seized. (which would be too late then anyway as the students would have them). Given the UCD student mandate on the 8th, given the publication without prosecution for 20 years and given the fact the UCD students have historically been willing to go to court, all Katie had to do was delegate the publication of the handbook to one of the other officers and then she wouldn't have been liable for prosecution at all.
    Where are you getting that it ran for 20 years? I'm pretty sure it used to run with info only and no pricing, etc., which is the issue
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment