Register to Comment
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    He is correct and sadly we are doing nothing about it.
    But we can do something about it. We can, for a start, oppose the three items I have already mentioned -

Cashless society
    Autonomous cars
    ID Cards.

There is no need for these, yet they are being foisted upon us by technology in the pursuit of profit. We can say 'no', here and now.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Who is John Galt? View Post
    Dunno......if politicians get it hard to finance stuff with a five year delivery, how much harder will it be to get projects off the ground with a five thousand year delivery?
    Edit:I agree that man and machine will merge.... and probably quite soon.
    But it will be more than likely for some more local and selfish reason...Ie medical replacement or enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Civic_critic2 View Post
    As far as I am aware Ireland has some of the most advanced semiconductor microchip manufacturing facilities in the world. Yet if you want to create a custom chip - for example a bitcoin mining chip - everyone has to go to China, have a chat with guys over there and find a fab that will do custom chips/dies at a reasonable price.
    Because that's how Intel and Analog have set their Fabs up? Because they're multinationals looking at a global programme? What a baffling point. China can't make one type of node that the Irish fab does. Does this raise concerns about their ability to mass produce nodes? No? No.

Should it not be a government policy to insist as part of Intels' operation that they set aside some facilities for use by local people/businesses that can contribute significantly to local innovation and entrepreneurialism?
    Absolutely. Dear Intel: Thank you for your billions of investment, thousands of jobs and generally sending a message that Ireland is somewhere hitech companies can invest in. However please be aware that we will kick you out in 6 months if you don't create a new facility capable of customising chips, and making this facility open to the public.

Kind Regards
    Ireland.

Similarly for Google, how much does Google share with the local community to foster innovation?
    I've rarely seen anything that fosters innovation. Singapore had a go, it's a dud. It's down to individuals to either A: Come up with their own idea, work at it and develop it or B: Work for a multinational, come up with an idea, steal it out of there without them noticing it and developing it themselves.

Watch Silicon Valley. It's satire, but it's an incredibly realistic picture of how innovation works in the real world.

My impression is that these companies operate in a way that is essentially cut-off from the local communities, doing their thing behind high-walls and not involved in much intercourse with the country.
    Absolutely. The communities the 4100 employees of Intel come from have in no way benefitted from them.

Economically they don't appear to give the steam off their piss, preferring to operate a kind of colonial system of extraction and labour exploitation rather than interface energetically and broadly with the country.

These are impressions only, perhaps I'm wrong. What do you think?
    I think you have a misguided impression of what an employer owes a developed country in terms of helping them to think.

There are industries in areas of the world (Mining in Africa is an excellent example) where it's not unreasonable to expect and get more. That's ACTUAL extraction taking place. Mine buys the land of the country. Mine is taking assets out of the country (The minerals). So in addition to just paying the workers, there's laws requiring education for kids, internal promotion of staff, housing for families etc.

All of which makes sense. But Intel/Facebook just bought a field. They then employed hundreds of Irish people to build things in that field. Then they employed thousands of people to work there. They pay them very well for jobs a lot safer than mining. But what, they're meant to help you think as well? Go to college. Build a Pi in your garage.

There's a much better argument to make around something like Shell for instance in Ireland. But they did quite a bit in terms of education and investments, putting in millions. Didn't get much positive feedback did they? So why should the next lot bother?
    Last edited by Sync; 17th July 2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    But we can do something about it. We can, for a start, oppose the three items I have already mentioned -

Cashless society
    Autonomous cars
    ID Cards.

There is no need for these, yet they are being foisted upon us by technology in the pursuit of profit. We can say 'no', here and now.
    Now you need a Public Services Card to get a driving licence.

RSA.ie - Changes to Identification Required for Driver Theory Test

How's that for national ID card by stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by clearmurk View Post
    Now you need a Public Services Card to get a driving licence.

RSA.ie - Changes to Identification Required for Driver Theory Test

How's that for national ID card by stealth.
    Indeed, and where is the debate on citizens having to sign up to an all encompassing government database in order that they may drive, travel or obtain welfare benefits? Let it be quite clear, not even Germany insists on this because they are quite aware of how such a system can be abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Who is John Galt? View Post
    Dunno......if politicians get it hard to finance stuff with a five year delivery, how much harder will it be to get projects off the ground with a five thousand year delivery?
    Politicians won't be involved much...

It'll be billionaires like Musk and companies like Google etc. who will drive it and who will co-operate with state agencies like NASA where mutually beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Politicians won't be involved much...

It'll be billionaires like Musk and companies like Google etc. who will drive it and who will co-operate with state agencies like NASA where mutually beneficial.
    So digital finally does away with democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    He is correct and sadly we are doing nothing about it.
    It is, and it's possibly inevitable, but I guess the question is do we want the Skynet factory to be based here in Ireland making the T-1000s or do we want those jobs going to Poland?

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It is, and it's possibly inevitable, but I guess the question is do we want the Skynet factory to be based here in Ireland making the T-1000s or do we want those jobs going to Poland?
    Skynet goes self aware on August 29th. That's less than two months

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    Skynet goes self aware on August 29th. That's less than two months
    Ok so we can't BUILD the Terminator factory in 2 months. But I think we can make the business case to Skynet that basing it's operations in Ireland is the best thing for both them and us.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment