Register to Comment
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
Like Tree16Likes
  1. #21
    PBP voter PBP voter is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,512

    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    what's been done to make that change?
    ie to improve the value placed on a good education by society in general
    HEAR admissions scheme for students from disadvantaged backgrounds

    A small step but a good one all the same.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    PBP voter PBP voter is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,512

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Should Ireland follow the Betsy DeVos road to education reform by introducing a school voucher system?

    That would allow parents to choose the best performing schools using vouchers. It would encourage competition and drive up standards.

    Experience in other countries mostly (some disagree) points to vouchers driving up standards:



    One argument against vouchers from the Left is the myth that it favours the wealthy. However in Indiana, the state pays $4500 in vouchers to households earning less than $41,000, with lower amounts to better off parents.
    Since then it has been revealed that Swedish schools have fallen down the rankings.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lure-education

    Hardly surprising Sweden went for this model as they are full of right wing extremists.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compul...tion_in_Sweden
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    hammer hammer is online now
    hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59,275

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    each school is already financed by the parents of those attending it - it's called taxation. What we do have in this country are private schools for the wealthy subsidised by the parents of those attending state schools through the state paying the teachers in private schools - while at the same time the wealthy bob and weave their way through a myriad of tax avoidance measures.
    You mean parents of kids going to private schools subsidising the education system
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    37,044

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    Since then it has been revealed that Swedish schools have fallen down the rankings.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lure-education

    Hardly surprising Sweden went for this model as they are full of right wing extremists.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compul...tion_in_Sweden
    Swedish standards fell because allowed hundreds of thousands of non-Swedish speaking immigrants in. Their children clog up the system and cause teachers to spend far more time getting them up to speed than they should. In general vouchers have been successful. They bypass the truculent teaching unions and the top heavy adminsitration involved in the public system. What's more they benefit kids from poorer backgrounds.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    silverharp silverharp is online now
    silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    9,734

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    Since then it has been revealed that Swedish schools have fallen down the rankings.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lure-education

    Hardly surprising Sweden went for this model as they are full of right wing extremists.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compul...tion_in_Sweden
    nothing to do with the increase in kids of migrants? isn't Sweden in the process of abolishing official Swedish in favour of a pint of whatever you speak yourself?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    37,044

    Quote Originally Posted by Windowshopper View Post
    We already have a de facto voucher system. Most schools are owned by private bodies who receive funding from the state.

    It seems that some of our posters are so in thrall of right wing thought across the sea and the ocean that they want to introduce policies which are already in place. I think Eagle was onto something when she commented to the effect that some posters are more interested in Anglo-American culture wars and supporting their team then they are of actual politics in Ireland. In a way I'm guilty of that myself its so much easier to pick a ideological side in a foreign country where you have nothing to lose and the intricacies,compromises and emotional attachments of domestic politics don't come into play.
    No matter how many times you use the word it doesn't bolster your argument. Merkel is right wing so is Kenny, the right are the largest grouping in the European Parliament and control the government at Federal level in the US and most states. So maybe the fatc that the right keeps winning elections is down to the fact that their ideas chime with the voters.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Nemesiscorporation Nemesiscorporation is offline
    Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,452

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Should Ireland follow the Betsy DeVos road to education reform by introducing a school voucher system?

    That would allow parents to choose the best performing schools using vouchers. It would encourage competition and drive up standards.

    Experience in other countries mostly (some disagree) points to vouchers driving up standards:



    One argument against vouchers from the Left is the myth that it favours the wealthy. However in Indiana, the state pays $4500 in vouchers to households earning less than $41,000, with lower amounts to better off parents.
    School vouchers are madness designed to destroy educational standards and make profit for companies. In Sweden it was a disaster.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    37,044

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    School vouchers are madness designed to destroy educational standards and make profit for companies. In Sweden it was a disaster.
    Link?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    37,044

    What can we learn from the strictest school in Britain?

    A free school success with the brilliant Katherine Birbalsingh.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    Therightroad Therightroad is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,216

    Where do Irish Travellers come in all this?...they have to be allowed drop in whenever they want....disrupt those who want to learn etc??
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment