Register to Comment
Page 1 of 312 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree1053Likes

"Safe space"

I would like to talk about the more recent phenomenon in Universities of "Safe Space". I have only heard of this very recently, so if I make any errors in my perceptions, apologies. I would hazard a guess that many of you haven't heard of this phenomenon either.

Wikipedia states that a Safe Space is used-

''to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body does not tolerate perceived anti-LGBT violence, harassment, hate speech or disagreement, but rather is open and accepting to opinions aligned to his or her own, thereby creating a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and all students.''

I believe that it is being extended from the LGBT sphere to areas such as race, disability and cultural background.

It seems to be growing in popularity in US and UK universities. I haven't heard of it happening here.

As you hopefully know from the stuff I write on here, I am totally in favour of equal rights for all individuals, regardless of background. However, I do take issue with the approaches of some of these groups.

University is meant to be a place where your opinions and beliefs are challenged; where there is a diverse range of viewpoints all coming from different background, be they right wing, left wing, sexist, racist or homophobic. While I may strongly disagree with these viewpoints, I defend that person's right to have a platform on which to speak about those views, regardless of how offensive they are.

I have some examples of this ''safe space'' idea, which runs totally against what a University should be-

This occurred at Yale University.
    The second video outlines some bizarre viewpoints-

The College Master asks "Who gets to decide when it's offensive" with one of the women saying "When it hurts me".

This seems like a growing trend. Bristol University was going to hold a talk involving Milo Yiannopoulos, a contributor to Breitbart.com. The Bristol feminist society wanted to "no platform" him due to their belief that his views violated the "Safe Space" policy.

I really find some of this very strange. If you want to have your beliefs challenged go to a University. If you want a "Home" and "Safe Space" stay at home and have a conversation with yourself.

Any contributions welcome.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

as it the interweby, some people will attack anything just for the sake it but some recent university bans,do seem contradictory to education.

By the way, I hope people don't form their opinions based on those short videos. I just used them to make people aware of the issue.

Giving protection to specific groups appears problematic to me

Either human rights are universal : or they aren't

It is that simple

Cyp

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    University is meant to be a place where your opinions and beliefs are challenged...
    Does that include beliefs about what university should be about?

Irish universities are fast becoming bastions of conformity, mammies' boys and bigotry - the exact opposite of what they're supposed to be.
    Catholic fear and loathing in our universities - Independent.ie

Wonder what all the Skull & Bones boys think of this, I'm guessing that if stupidity of this cloying coddled self pitying nature is taking hold of their contemporaries, they must expect to be masters of the universe when they grow in to power....and they mightn't be all that wrong either, god help us all.

I think you've gotten the wrong impression there OP, There were safe spaces within the SU and LGBT societies when I was in University, showing my age there.

It's not really about politics and opinions, at least it wasn't when I was there. It was a setting in which one could share one's feelings and experiences without fear of judgement. I wasn't aware that they existed outside of lgbt circles. Their existence was a reaction to Irish society's hostility toward lgbt folk.

Many lgbt young people then and still now, live double lives, face the threat of violence and discrimination in employment. Not to mention the risk of STIs they face owing to both a lack of education and a lack of information provided by mainstream media.

I don't think politics and people's opinions come into it.

Page 1 of 312 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment