Register to Comment
Page 3 of 338 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1161Likes

I am all for making the world a nicer, friendlier place but not at the expense of free speech.
    This kind of over PC thing if left unfettered will end with a thought-police straight out of 1984.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Universities are businesses, training institutes and finishing schools; in that order. The time when they were bastions of intellectual freedom is long gone, if it ever existed. All this nonsense 'debate' on gender, feminist and ethnic topics represents a very vocal, very small minority of children and peter-pan syndrome suffering lecturers, who are nostalgic for the 60's, which they were slightly too young to experience.

I'll bet you a pound to a penny that the typical Yale student is a Chinese person who studies twenty one hours a day, sleeps in the library and has no idea whatsoever that this nonsense is going on on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    I don't think that was trolling but who knows , the latest successful troll was an undercover reporter in the US getting University staff to shred a copy of the constitution as the "student" said she found it triggering.
    I suppose, ironically, one might interpret the US Constitution as something that gives one the right to shred the US Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Safe spaces are totalitarian spaces. Inside them everyone must think the same way, talk the same way, behave the same way, and never criticise the "space space". Anyone who dissents is instantly purged.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're on about and has no experience of the subject. Safe spaces aren't just another medium for homophobes to come and shout abuse at lgbt persons, rather they are a space where lgbt persons can discuss the issues they face day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I suppose, ironically, one might interpret the US Constitution as something that gives one the right to shred the US Constitution.
    I wouldn't imagine there are many regimes, no matter how undemocratic, which specifically outlaw mistreatment of legal documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're on about and has no experience of the subject. Safe spaces aren't just another medium for homophobes to come and shout abuse at lgbt persons, rather they are a space where lgbt persons can discuss the issues they face day to day.
    Bloody train drivers...on strike again....

Yep, this "safe space" nonsense indeed seems to be gathering ace.

It is just another facet of the loon Left. This time to enforce a "right not to be offended". Absurd and potentially damaging to well functioning society.

Get an eyeball of this related farce:

Students demand admin response to racial controversies

Among other gripes, they were infuriated because a faculty member sent an email pointing out how stupid the Yale ban on Halloween costumes (ones the "appropriated cultures") was.

The best and brightest, scared of their own shadows.

The Safe Space as a concept is an excellent invention and it helps many people who are struggling. People here who don't really know what it is but have their knickers all twisted about something they don't know anything about need to do some reading. Refer to my post on the bottom of page one of this thread please.

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    I wouldn't imagine there are many regimes, no matter how undemocratic, which specifically outlaw mistreatment of legal documents.
    It's not the legality of it rather the entire irony of it.

The "offended" loon shredding the document (because it "triggers" them). But it is the document itself that upholds their right to do it.

Consider also, that those people who would more vociferously defend the right to shred a copy of the Constitution would be far less likely to want to do so themselves (knowing it is the Constitution that protects such freedoms).

This all comes back to the Loony Left. Unfortunately, we can't just point and laugh, they are potentially more dangerous and insidious than your average clowns. They rely on the general good will of the average person who is slow to call them what they are. F_ucking self-absorbed, self-serving wastrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    The Safe Space as a concept is an excellent invention and it helps many people who are struggling. People here who don't really know what it is but have their knickers all twisted about something they don't know anything about need to do some reading. Refer to my post on the bottom of page one of this thread please.
    like most things it probably started out with good intentions and did some good , but it is out of control because it now means censoring texts in class and restricting normal behaviour in colleges and in the mean time attitude towards gay people have changed a lot in the last couple of decades. Also I don't get the idea that this has anything to do with gay people anymore just pandering to people to create more victims and consumers for the people that push this stuff.

Page 3 of 338 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment