Register to Comment
Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

What SF say and what SF do are two different things. With supporters like Ted, the more moderate and liberal voices won't get far. Let's not forget their history; they are used to getting their own way by force.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by GrainneDee View Post
    What SF say and what SF do are two different things. With supporters like Ted, the more moderate and liberal voices won't get far. Let's not forget their history; they are used to getting their own way by force.
    Eh, no. They are farther from violence now then Fianna Fail was in 1932. And I wouldn't be using Ted, a random poster on the internet, as the template for all Sinn Féin supporters. And seeing as one of the more moderate and liberal voices, Mary Lou McDonald, is quite likely to become party leader, well....

I have never voted Sinn Féin in my life. I intend to do so for the locals, and I probably will do so in 2016. Whether you like it or not, Sinn Féin are becoming a mainstream party. They have some very impressive performers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellach View Post
    Eh, no. They are farther from violence now then Fianna Fail was in 1932. And I wouldn't be using Ted, a random poster on the internet, as the template for all Sinn Féin supporters. And seeing as one of the more moderate and liberal voices, Mary Lou McDonald, is quite likely to become party leader, well....

I have never voted Sinn Féin in my life. I intend to do so for the locals, and I probably will do so in 2016. Whether you like it or not, Sinn Féin are becoming a mainstream party. They have some very impressive performers.
    Further from violence? They attend "commemorations" of dead terrorists - terrorists who blew themselves up in the act of trying to commit murder. Seems to me that violence is lurking just around the corner...

I agree with you that a boor like Ted is not necessarily representative of the party, though. But anyone who is a member of a party that commemorates murderers has to be dodgy.

Be it on your conscience if you wish to vote for terrorist supporters. Be careful what you wish for.

Further from violence? They attend "commemorations" of dead terrorists - terrorists who blew themselves up in the act of trying to commit murder. Seems to me that violence is lurking just around the corner...

I agree with you that a boor like Ted is not necessarily representative of the party, though. But anyone who is a member of a party that commemorates murderers has to be dodgy.

Be it on your conscience if you wish to vote for terrorist supporters. Be careful what you wish for.
    One man's terrorist etc.

1968 - 23/06 Fianna Fail Commemoration at Bodenstown D46-5374.jpg | Irish Photo Archive

Just out of interest, how did you react to the death of Nelson Mandela?

Quote Originally Posted by Leipziger View Post
    What blows my mind is how you almost certainly see your demand for your taxes not to fund Catholic public schools as ethical, while perceiving a Catholic who refuses to allow his taxes to fund Educate Together as abhorrent. The mind baffles.
    I don't accept that they two situations you give are a corollary of each other.

I don't specifically know about Educate Together, but teaching useful skills (reading and writing) and uncontested facts (history and geography) is simply not the same thing as giving religious instruction in a particular faith.

I think the state has a duty to provide an education for all. Clearly that would include giving an understanding of various faiths from a social and historical point of view. But the state has no business in indoctrinating children in any particular faith, or paying any third party to do that.

If parents want their children instructed in a particular religion, then they are entirely entitled to do that or arrange for others to do it, and bear any expense involved. The state has no reason to be hostile to this, but no duty to fund it. If parents feel so strongly that they want their child's entire school experience to be infused with religion, then they are free to organise and fund that. But they don't get it funded by the taxpayer any more than I could expect the taxpayer to fund my personal bodyguard instead of me using the normal policing service.

One man's terrorist etc.

1968 - 23/06 Fianna Fail Commemoration at Bodenstown D46-5374.jpg | Irish Photo Archive

Just out of interest, how did you react to the death of Nelson Mandela?
    Yep, one man's terrorist...I wasn't aware that either Wolfe Tone or Nelson Mandela made a habit of planting bombs to blow up innocent people..

Yep, one man's terrorist...I wasn't aware that either Wolfe Tone or Nelson Mandela made a habit of planting bombs to blow up innocent people..
    Then to be honest you need to do a bit more reading around Nelson Mandela.

Then to be honest you need to do a bit more reading around Nelson Mandela.
    So tell me, when did he plant bombs to blow up innocent people..

'African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists'

The Backbencher 3 Things You Didn

So tell me, when did he plant bombs to blow up innocent people..
    This should get you started. Nelson Mandela obituary part four: a marked man - Telegraph

Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment