Register to Comment
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    Here is another Mensa test.

Study this list vary carefully and put a tick against the name of any prominent 'Mensan' that you have actually heard of -

Prominent Mensans

Alas, I scored very poorly, about 2 I think.
    Bob Speca, Jr.: Professional domino toppler. Speca travels internationally doing domino shows and has appeared on TV programs and commercials.

Note: many of the members listed are members of American Mensa.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

A giant elephant in the room of IQ testing has been the 'Flynn effect'. Odd that the brains of Mensa did not solve that particular conundrum, or produce a testing method that is accurate regardless of cultural or environmental factors. To much of an ask? Or perhaps was there no will by Mensa to rock the apple cart they thought they were riding on top of? Their motivation, and selective lack of it, suggests that self interest or self regard is of a higher premium than actual intellectualism.

What is the Flynn effect? - Curiosity

To quote:
    Still, standardized tests that schools administer to students have shown that scores have not risen in academic subjects such as vocabulary and arithmetic, but scores that measure "general intelligence," such as abstract reasoning and ability to infer logic, have risen [source: Neuroanthropology]. This would imply that there is nothing wrong with IQ testing, but that people have become more skilled at the kinds of hypothetical, logical reasoning we need in today's society.
    Now it occurs to me that "todays society" is not the realms of genius. Genius tends to exist apart from general discourse and interaction, so standard IQ tests might be unable to properly detect or gauge it. So if Mesa is representitive of anything, it is general intelligence, and not anything actually special. People who do have real genius don't sit around trying to ace tests while taking a dump on those who can't. Hence Menso seems not to be a bastion of the extra ordinary, but simply the concentration of the recognisably, if refined, ordinary. Their contribution to the betterment of mankind is pretty much nil, unless one considers high self regard and selective analysis to be of value. Managing to weigh their own intellect in terms of 'carrots' is unworthy of even the dimmest mind.
    Last edited by Thac0man; 23rd December 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    All true unfortunately, there is a teacher in the school I work in who has several kids she freely admits to hating (she is a little nuts, no really, she is screwed up, we are all afraid of her) and I asked her why, each of them was vividly clever and witty and competitive and I enjoy all their company; she gave varying answers on the same theme but it was obvious she resents them ther abilities and confidence.
    I was stunned when I found out but, she is a good teacher in many ways, she is hard-working, clever(ish) very driven and a perfectionist, she never skimps, on paper she is exactly the kind of teacher IBEC, Sindo etc want.
    But she also competes with the rest of; in a collegial profession and spreads disharmony and dissension where she can.
    On paper she is perfect but in reality she only motivates through dread and she does not inspire at all (a crime in a subject like science where inspiration is as easy as breath).

Point is, they do exist and they are what the inspectors want IMO.
    Well that clause filled me with a sense of dread.

Quote Originally Posted by jopow View Post
    Well, as somebody who qualified for Mensa many,many, many years ago, I stayed a member for exactly 1 year. I have NEVER read such a load of rubbish as their membership magazine in my life. It consisted of complicated mathematical puzzles and complaints about the state not showing the appropriate esteem for the members and hurt disbelief that politicians didn't come begging Mensa to take over the running of the country.
    As a full-time carer for many,many, many years of a person who would need a IQ transplant to get near an IQ of 65, I am truely sorry that I was stupid enough to be a member for that long!
    They Saved Lisa's Brain - Simpsons Wiki

Aren't you glad
    Enda isn't a MENSA member?

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    "holding down a full-time job", what a strange expression; makes it sounds as if the job is desperate to be anywhere else but with the captor.
    If you take the expression literally, yes but it's not meant to be taken literally.

I know one guy who I think would qualify as having an intellectual disability. Due to hydrocephalus in his infancy, he has huge short term memory issues. He can very easily get lost and forget where he's been even an hour ago. He might send me a text message and then send a similar one about 15 minutes later because he's forgotten he sent the first one.

He keeps two notebooks - one for where he's been and one for his plans over the next few days. So he knows where he's been (in case he misplaces something and needs to retrace his steps) and knows where he's meant to be. He also has very poor eyesight and major health issues - especially wrt his kidneys.

Until he was made redundant a few months ago, he had a job in call centre for something approaching 15 years. I see big strapping guys around town here who have none of his disabilities, haven't worked a day in their lives and have no intention to. He, with all his disabilities, has been paying to keep them on welfare, despite the added struggle he faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    Dolph Lundgren has an IQ of 160 (mensa cuttoff is 150 - the 98th percentile)
    James Woods allegedly has a freakishly high IQ of 180 .
    Sharon Stone is 154. She's not just a pretty vagina.

According to online tests my IQ is about 140. But I'm really lazy and horrendously poorly motivated. Hence, I'm a van driver.
    [wikeprdia]Mensa

For many years, Stone maintained that she had an IQ of 148[35] and was a member of Mensa,[36][37] but in April 2002, she admitted she was not, and had never been, a member of that society.[36][38] Jim Blackmore of Mensa said, "It's delightful to finally see Ms. Stone admit that she's not and never has been a member of our society." Blackmore admits Stone may be as clever as many like to think. He says, "My gut feeling is that she would definitely qualify. But that's just based on what we've been told by other individuals."[38][/wikipedia]

Self selection is not sufficient for membership.

I don't understand why Mensa exists at all. What exactly is it for? Why does someone who has a high IQ need to belong to some sort of special club?

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I don't understand why Mensa exists at all. What exactly is it for? Why does someone who has a high IQ need to belong to some sort of special club?
    What is Mensa? - British Mensa

Reason the "No Carrots Club" was founded.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I guess everyone needs somewhere where they can belong.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment