Register to Comment
Page 87 of 95 FirstFirst ... 37 778586878889 ... LastLast
Like Tree360Likes

The Iona Institute | 16 Jun 12 Forum recommendations a

Not surprising that the Iona Institute is leading the fray in defending the dominant role of denominationalism in education, but are they deluding themselves when they speak of a small minority? The cited article (Conway) also makes the extraordinary claim aboout a post 9/ 11 view of religion coming to the fore. I think a secular perspective has a much deeper lineage than that might imply. As a former teacher, I had no problem teaching about religions in a non- aligned fashion, perhaps as cultural phenomena, and certainly not as something I wished young people to imbibe uncritically. I related my alleged neutrality to a professional sense of introducing young people to actualities in the world but not necessarily with any wish for them to endorse them. In history I was able to introduce Fascism, Communism , Syndicalism etc without any prevailing atmosphere of endorsement.
    Last edited by stakerwallace; 1st July 2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by stakerwallace View Post
    As a former teacher, I had no problem teaching about religions in a non- aligned fashion, perhaps as cultural phenomena, and certainly not as something I wished young people to imbibe uncritically. I related my alleged neutrality to a professional sense of introducing young people to actualities in the world but not necessarily with any wish for them to endorse them. In history I was able to introduce Fascism, Communism , Syndicalism etc without any prevailing atmosphere of endorsement.
    I agree with that. the thing is you dont teach kids about communism a few times a week for 12 years. It should simply pop up as modules either in history and the "stories" bit as part of English in primary school

I don't fancy reading 93 pages, but if not already mentioned, anyone who wants their kids to go to a muti-denominational school, they should sign up to the Educate Together website, where they are setting up start up groups.

Hopefully they will get enough names to start up other educate together schools in more locations throughout the country. The educate together schools in my catchment area are already over subscribed for the next 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The fact that human beings of all nationalities, colours, classes and creeds do not always practice what they preach does not render the precepts invalid.
    What precepts exactly are you refering to?

There is wisdom to be found in the bible. Love thy neighbour, etc;
    However, mostly it's just common sense wisdom like your mother taught you. The rest is ju-ju.

Your 'fact' about human beings, in light of the global scandal (disgusting) unfolding upon the RCC is less than irrelevant.
    I don't think many people on here are anxious to see the end of the RCC sticking it's ignorant nose into our education system for no good reason. People have had enough of these geriatric pederast enablers.

The citizens spiritual beliefs are entirely a personal matter and are rightly protected by the Constitution.
    No need to force it upon the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Knapaghbeg View Post
    Teaching the religious doctrine of a single religion to 5 year olds as fact is simply brainwashing, and is a form of child abuse.

When it is done by an agent in the pay of the State it is abuse by the State.

I
    Absurd rubbish.

Twitter
    @

I would also like my kids to not go to Catholic schools, but I don't think they're being abused by learning about faeries and what not... by the time they're teens they'll have to decide about religion, we don't go to mass, or any other church, and I'm not too worried about ending up with religious zealots...in fact, I'd be a touch more concerned abut what they're NOT learning...

most of the kids will ditch religion after primary school anyway. It's a waste of public money and class time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    most of the kids will ditch religion after primary school anyway. It's a waste of public money and class time.
    More Absurd rubbish.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    More Absurd rubbish.
    I don't how many will ditch it at that point, but it's def a waste of time and money...

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    I don't how many will ditch it at that point, but it's def a waste of time and money...
    Yet more absurd rubbish.

Page 87 of 95 FirstFirst ... 37 778586878889 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment