Register to Comment
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    but in the sense of the actual production of materials and goods - would it not be arguable to call it the third revolution - forgive me I'm mainly referring back to the Economist - and am open to another slant .. Their take is that the weaving factories of the 18th century was the first revolution - the production line of the early 20th was the second - and this is the third
    Happytolearn,

You will find the term Industrial Revolution refers to the energy sources which allows different forms of economic activity to take place.

And the conjunction of data and distributed energy sources is the the driver of the Third Industrial Revolution, therefore you and the Economist are both correct.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    If it proves successful it will be regulated for security reasons. Imagine being able to print your own polymers for one of these:

The UTS-15 is a full polymer pump action shotgun.
    With my 3D printer all I have to do is create a 3D model in Blender and then print it overnight.

My 3D printer is A3 sized and 10 cm deep, so could print that, if I was so inclined.

This is really exciting! Apologies if this has been posted before - I couldn't find any threads. I had heard about 3D printing a few months back but have happened upon a much more in depth feature on how it might impact manufacturing. 3D printing or 'additive manufacturing' involves literally 'printing' a solid three dimensional item -

"The software takes a series of digital slices through a computer aided design and sends descriptions of those slices to the 3D printer, which adds successive thin layers until a solid object emerges" (my source is the Economist - I can't link it because it's subscription based)

They have printed food (cupcakes) - They hope to be able to print entire engines and even virtually transport objects from one 'printer' to another. One machine would scan an object and send the details to a machine on the other side of the world which can 'print' it. They've printed hearing aids - entirely customised to one individual, high tech parts of jets and are working on printing leather. It's mind boggling to think of the endless possibilities. Prototypes will be easy and inexpensive - your imagination will be the only limit! It's a revolution! Anyone got any insight into how this might affect global manufacturing?
    There is an Irish guy in Trelleborg in Sweden, who is printing cake coatings for parties.

I have a 3D printer for printing rough prototypes of models I make in blender.org - Home on the computer. It is home built and is accurate to about 0.3mm. I made it out of two HP K850 printers. Anything that is printed has to be cleaned up with needle files, before painting, due to lack of accuracy. It is the first printer, let alone 3D printer that I built and was suprised it worked first time, with only a few glitches. It is Linux based and I have no idea how to get it to function in windows. I have a buyer coming to buy it on saturday (I hope), as I am moving back to Ireland soon. I am using the money raised to buy parts for my new 3D printer, which I hope will not turn out to be overly ambitious.

I am looking at converting my old HP 750C A0 printer to a 3D printer, which is lying in the shed at my parents house. I want to print multiple items at the same time or one off large items. I have an old A0 plotter which I will combine with the HP750C to give a X-Y axis and have picked up four heavy 2cm x 6cm x 120cm vanadium tungsten bars that I got a friend from the local CNC workshop to machine them into rack and matching pinions for me in exchange for a Quadro graphics card. I am working on designs for converting the HP 750C as I could not find any on the net, but am using the design for the HP K850 as a reference point as both printers are quite similar with similar functionality. I just hope I am getting the design right, as it could be a very expensive mess if I get it wrong.

There are a lot of very good resources for 3D printing on the net.

This is the internet post on BlenderNation - Daily news, tutorials and art for Blender, the open source 3D suite that got me started on building a 3D printer.
    Creating 3D Printed Models with Blender and Shapeways | BlenderNation

Building one is no easy task. According to the guys in my local retro computer club, my 3D printer worked first time out of pure blind luck, than skill. They were more impressed by the sheer number of mistakes I made actually functioning, than anything else. They were horrified that I made a guide rail for height with a hammer on a jewelry anvil and then bolted lego technics rack to it. It worked

Eventually I want to try to make a 3D printer that can print metal alloys. I have some knowledge of materials science, inorganic and physical chemistry, which will be required. I have ideas around vapour deposition and sintering techniques I would like to try out.

Here are some links you might find useful.

Customize and create 3D printed products. Welcome to the Future of Stuff.

ExplainingTheFuture.com : 3D Printing

3D printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Home MakerBot Industries

3D Printers Lead Growth of Rapid Prototyping : Plastics Technology

The rise of additive manufacturing | In-depth | The Engineer

Pushing the Boundaries : 3-D Printing Indian Young Scientist Network

3 Dimensional Printers Below $20,000 - Comparison Chart

Print - How to Fabricate a Toy Model from Scratch - Popular Mechanics

http://www.econolyst.co.uk/pdf/publi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Open Directory - Science: Technology: Manufacturing: Prototyping: Rapid Prototyping

3D printing: The printed world | The Economist

PS: I did try to make a 3D holographic laser based scanner which set my workshop on fire due to the laser modules being a slight bit to powerful. I will wait until back in Ireland before attempting to get that right. There is plenty of space at the back of my parents place.
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 27th April 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    There is an Irish guy in Trelleborg in Sweden, who is printing cake coatings for parties.

I have a 3D printer for printing rough prototypes of models I make in blender.org - Home on the computer. It is home built and is accurate to about 0.3mm. I made it out of two HP K850 printers. Anything that is printed has to be cleaned up with needle files, before painting, due to lack of accuracy. It is the first printer, let alone 3D printer that I built and was suprised it worked first time, with only a few glitches. It is Linux based and I have no idea how to get it to function in windows. I have a buyer coming to buy it on saturday (I hope), as I am moving back to Ireland soon. I am using the money raised to buy parts for my new 3D printer, which I hope will not turn out to be overly ambitious.

I am looking at converting my old HP 750C A0 printer to a 3D printer, which is lying in the shed at my parents house. I want to print multiple items at the same time or one off large items. I have an old A0 plotter which I will combine with the HP750C to give a X-Y axis and have picked up four heavy 2cm x 6cm x 120cm vanadium tungsten bars that I got a friend from the local CNC workshop to machine them into rack and matching pinions for me in exchange for a Quadro graphics card. I am working on designs for converting the HP 750C as I could not find any on the net, but am using the design for the HP K850 as a reference point as both printers are quite similar with similar functionality. I just hope I am getting the design right, as it could be a very expensive mess if I get it wrong.

There are a lot of very good resources for 3D printing on the net.

This is the internet post on BlenderNation - Daily news, tutorials and art for Blender, the open source 3D suite that got me started on building a 3D printer.
    Creating 3D Printed Models with Blender and Shapeways | BlenderNation

Building one is no easy task. According to the guys in my local retro computer club, my 3D printer worked first time out of pure blind luck, than skill. They were more impressed by the sheer number of mistakes I made actually functioning, than anything else. They were horrified that I made a guide rail for height with a hammer on a jewelry anvil and then bolted lego technics rack to it. It worked

Eventually I want to try to make a 3D printer that can print metal alloys. I have some knowledge of materials science, inorganic and physical chemistry, which will be required. I have ideas around vapour deposition and sintering techniques I would like to try out.

Here are some links you might find useful.

Customize and create 3D printed products. Welcome to the Future of Stuff.

ExplainingTheFuture.com : 3D Printing

3D printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

Home MakerBot Industries

3D Printers Lead Growth of Rapid Prototyping : Plastics Technology

The rise of additive manufacturing | In-depth | The Engineer

Pushing the Boundaries : 3-D Printing Indian Young Scientist Network

3 Dimensional Printers Below $20,000 - Comparison Chart

Print - How to Fabricate a Toy Model from Scratch - Popular Mechanics

http://www.econolyst.co.uk/pdf/publi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Open Directory - Science: Technology: Manufacturing: Prototyping: Rapid Prototyping

3D printing: The printed world | The Economist

PS: I did try to make a 3D holographic laser based scanner which set my workshop on fire due to the laser modules being a slight bit to powerful. I will wait until back in Ireland before attempting to get that right. There is plenty of space at the back of my parents place.

Thanks for the links! Gonna get my teeth into these later - I'm currently stuck arguing with a traditional bubble jet - always on a Friday!

Thanks for the links! Gonna get my teeth into these later - I'm currently stuck arguing with a traditional bubble jet - always on a Friday!
    I know the feeling. My HP 2800 just went in the bin. That thing has been repaired to many times. I have not used a bubblejet for years. My ZX spectrum and its printer still works

You might also find this link useful. http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    I know the feeling. My HP 2800 just went in the bin. That thing has been repaired to many times. I have not used a bubblejet for years. My ZX spectrum and its printer still works

You might also find this link useful. http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Oh jeepers - it's kinda like Cyberdyne Systems - Machines building each other - Where will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    re my post about making an old car part....

For the star trek replicator fans, it is referred to in this video...

Btw these are OLD vids, 3 and 4 years respectively.
    Cheers for these - Nice bit of subtle protectionism from Jay Leno there ..

This is really exciting! Apologies if this has been posted before - I couldn't find any threads. I had heard about 3D printing a few months back but have happened upon a much more in depth feature on how it might impact manufacturing. 3D printing or 'additive manufacturing' involves literally 'printing' a solid three dimensional item -

"The software takes a series of digital slices through a computer aided design and sends descriptions of those slices to the 3D printer, which adds successive thin layers until a solid object emerges" (my source is the Economist - I can't link it because it's subscription based)

They have printed food (cupcakes) - They hope to be able to print entire engines and even virtually transport objects from one 'printer' to another. One machine would scan an object and send the details to a machine on the other side of the world which can 'print' it. They've printed hearing aids - entirely customised to one individual, high tech parts of jets and are working on printing leather. It's mind boggling to think of the endless possibilities. Prototypes will be easy and inexpensive - your imagination will be the only limit! It's a revolution! Anyone got any insight into how this might affect global manufacturing?
    A discussion of the implications this technology, among others, has for manufacturing specifically, and society in general, can be found here (an open-access article in the Economist)

First successful firing by 3D-printed gun
    He announced in online forums that he had tested the pistol that was made from a chunk of plastic feedstock into a commercially-available 3D printer by successfully firing over 200 rounds.

He also posted video of the test firing of an AR-45 variant of an AR-15 assault rifle assembled largely from printed components on the Google videos.

He also posted a template for a major component of an AR-15 assault rifle to a 3D printing website.

Have been looking into this for a while as I dabble with design a little.. I did come across this on liveleak which I found very interesting....

http://www.liveleak.com//view?i=787_1344708171

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment