Register to Comment
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

This is my biggest fear, we will go through the solar system consuming all resources, and if we do colonize other planets it will only lead to interplanetary war in the distant future as the colonized planets gain independence (think america)(unless we move to some higher form of consciousnesses) hopefully the human race dies out before we can do any more destruction
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Skies View Post
    Maybe Cameron has a better handle on asteroid physics than Michael Bay
    anyone would have a better handle on physics than Michael Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    Why would humans want to leave the solar system ? the nearest star is 4 light years away so we are talking about arriving at a star as an old person? they would be one way trips even if their are advances in hibernation technology
    The first ships to leave our solar system, will probably be generational.

You should ask yourself, why mankind sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean or went to the Moon.

We are human beings. We will wander out into interstellar space and explore the stars. Our need to explore, to understand, to find out, to wander and to overcome adversity, is part of what makes us human.

Quote Originally Posted by housefree View Post
    This is my biggest fear, we will go through the solar system consuming all resources, and if we do colonize other planets it will only lead to interplanetary war in the distant future as the colonized planets gain independence (think america)(unless we move to some higher form of consciousnesses) hopefully the human race dies out before we can do any more destruction
    I know what you mean - many's the sleepless night I've had fretting over the thought that one day my spawn might spoil the magnificent desolation of the Sea of Tranquility with uncontrolled ribbon development or set up a Matian Templebar on the slopes of Olympus Mons.

Quote Originally Posted by onetimeonly View Post
    I reckon that this will fizzle out a bit. It turns out that their business model requires NASA (and/or any other space agencies) to buy loads of water/oxygen/hydrogen at a cheaper price than it costs to cart them up there. There may be some money to be made from their space telescopes, either aiming towards space or towards Earth in the initial stages. I'm not seeing much guaranteed return on sustained asteroid mining (although it might be worth taking a risk on a long shot pay-off, especially if it uses other peoples money).
    "Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves". - Oddball, 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    I know what you mean - many's the sleepless night I've had fretting over the thought that one day my spawn might spoil the magnificent desolation of the Sea of Tranquility with uncontrolled ribbon development or set up a Matian Templebar on the slopes of Olympus Mons.
    such a place would lack any real kind of atmosphere, just like the templebar in town

Quote Originally Posted by housefree View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    The first ships to leave our solar system, will probably be generational.

You should ask yourself, why mankind sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean or went to the Moon.

We are human beings. We will wander out into interstellar space and explore the stars. Our need to explore, to understand, to find out, to wander and to overcome adversity, is part of what makes us human.
    the fastest man-made vehicle reached a speed of about 150k mph, at that velocity it would literally take thousands of generations to reach our nearest stellar neighbour , baring a massive increase in the speed we travel or a massive increase in human life expectancy we are very much confined to this solar system

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    the fastest man-made vehicle reached a speed of about 150k mph, at that velocity it would literally take thousands of generations to reach our nearest stellar neighbour , baring a massive increase in the speed we travel or a massive increase in human life expectancy we are very much confined to this solar system
    I think that's why she said it might have to be generational

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Skies View Post
    I think that's why she said it might have to be generational
    correction on my part , at 150k mph it would require about 600(ish) generations, not thousands
    it's still not practical

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment