Register to Comment
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Looks like cheap space travel is getting closer.

BBC News - Key tests for Skylon spaceplane project
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Looks like cheap space travel is getting closer.

BBC News - Key tests for Skylon spaceplane project
    Hotol lives on.....at least as a video promo -

Nice but a small lump of metal projected at speed does the same thing.

A 'phaser'/laser does make sense for a ship's weapon system in space, though. Could also be a tool for mining, for example. The lump of metal projected at speed wouldn't do so well for that purpose.

I think this is cooler..kinda like staff weapon from Stargate SG-1 (if you're aware of that show?)..provided of course that it isn't vapourware.

Think this is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by aldiper View Post
    I think this is cooler..kinda like staff weapon from Stargate SG-1 (if you're aware of that show?)..provided of course that it isn't vapourware.

Think this is pretty cool
    Stargate Atlantis will be picked up on bluray around June, when I am settled back in Ireland. When Stargate series is released on bluray it will also be picked up.

I have all of Stargate, farscape, blakes 7, andromeda, star trek, dr.who, lexx, red dwarf, etc on DVD. I am just over half way through replacing them all with blu ray. Farscape is a lot better in blu ray as well as actually having subtitles.

The pulsed energy weapon can cause serious shock leading to death. It can also instantly kill.

As for the weapon the USA military is developing for crowd control. That weapon is potentially lethal. If people can not run, then they could get serious 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns. As for it not penetrating the skin, that is bullsh*t. Also that weapon will potentially set fire to someone. It is a weapon of terror, nothing else.

Stargate Atlantis will be picked up on bluray around June, when I am settled back in Ireland. When Stargate series is released on bluray it will also be picked up.

I have all of Stargate, farscape, blakes 7, andromeda, star trek, dr.who, lexx, red dwarf, etc on DVD. I am just over half way through replacing them all with blu ray. Farscape is a lot better in blu ray as well as actually having subtitles.

The pulsed energy weapon can cause serious shock leading to death. It can also instantly kill.

As for the weapon the USA military is developing for crowd control. That weapon is potentially lethal. If people can not run, then they could get serious 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns. As for it not penetrating the skin, that is bullsh*t. Also that weapon will potentially set fire to someone. It is a weapon of terror, nothing else.
    A faraday-cage-like clothing outfit could negate the emp effect of that weapon. Maybe not the physical plasma wave shock though. That would be of similar impact effect as a bullet/baton round on the recipient.
    Still, that's something the average crowd member wouldn't be wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    A faraday-cage-like clothing outfit could negate the emp effect of that weapon. Maybe not the physical plasma wave shock though. That would be of similar impact effect as a bullet/baton round on the recipient.
    Still, that's something the average crowd member wouldn't be wearing.
    I don't think being inside a metal cage that is being bombarded with microwave radiation would be the smartest thing I could think of doing.

That is reminiscent of a microwave oven.

Do you support cooking demonstrators
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 28th April 2012 at 11:07 AM.

I don't think being inside a metal cage that is being bombarded with microwave radiation would be the smartest thing I could think of doing.

That is reminiscent of a microwave oven.

Do you support cooking demonstrators
    The particular device generates a plasma shock, not microwave. The emp effect I mentioned doesn't transfer through a faraday cage so would have little or no effect on the nervous system, canceling the knock-out effect.
    To have a microwave oven effect, the device would have to project mw at a high enough and be sustained for longer than the pulse generated. That would be a deliberate use of mw energy against the target.
    And until energy sources become hyper-efficient and powerful, it would need a source that would need an artic trailer just to power it. Kind of obvious.
    Anyway, the mw energy would have to be inside metal cage to effect what/who is inside the cage.

A similar 'defence' occurs if a person is tasered while faradayed and grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    The particular device generates a plasma shock, not microwave. The emp effect I mentioned doesn't transfer through a faraday cage so would have little or no effect on the nervous system, canceling the knock-out effect.
    To have a microwave oven effect, the device would have to project mw at a high enough and be sustained for longer than the pulse generated. That would be a deliberate use of mw energy against the target.
    And until energy sources become hyper-efficient and powerful, it would need a source that would need an artic trailer just to power it. Kind of obvious.
    Anyway, the mw energy would have to be inside metal cage to effect what/who is inside the cage.

A similar 'defence' occurs if a person is tasered while faradayed and grounded.
    You weren't exactly clear to which device you were referring to..you were referring to the former, Nemesis to the latter. Regards the Faraday Cage Defense and the PEP..yes..it might defend against the shockwave, the same way being inside a room would defend against a flash-bang grenade (which is what being hit by the PEP is like..at lower power levels)..but given that the PEP generates that shockwave through laser ablation of the target surface, you're going to be like the little piggy in the straw house..just going to take a few huffs-and-puffs of the Big Bad PEP ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment