Register to Comment

Equality of Opportunity in Education

"Equality of Opportunity in Education " is a concept I believe in. I am passionate in the pursuit of education for the children of our nation. Every year Irish Times publishes a list of Secondary schools who do very well academically. Many of the top performing schools are "Fee-Paying" , many are not. When you look at these "non-fee-paying schools" you begin to realize that they have something in common with the successful 'fee-paying schools' - They pay attention .

In these non-fee-paying schools there is an ethos of contributing to the education of our children. Most parents will pay the annual subscription asked by the school, some will pay a proportion (I think education is important and I am damned if I will not contribute to my child's education even if all I can afford is 5.00). Then there will be the minority in these schools who refuse to pay. The ethos of these schools is to open opportunity to their pupils.

"Equality of Opportunity in Education " has only a small amount to do with money. It has far more to do with attitude. Parents who commit to the education of their children will see their children succeed .

Children from "socially difficult" backgrounds (the place they were born) probably have a bigger/harder hill to climb. The thing is that with the educational support from their parents they get at least some way up that hill,some more than others . It would be naive and dishonest to deny that money does not give advantage.It is also naive and dishonest to deny that family attitude to education can impact negatively on the success of the child.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    "Equality of Opportunity in Education " is a concept I believe in. I am passionate in the pursuit of education for the children of our nation. Every year Irish Times publishes a list of Secondary schools who do very well academically. Many of the top performing schools are "Fee-Paying" , many are not. When you look at these "non-fee-paying schools" you begin to realize that they have something in common with the successful 'fee-paying schools' - They pay attention .

In these non-fee-paying schools there is an ethos of contributing to the education of our children. Most parents will pay the annual subscription asked by the school, some will pay a proportion (I think education is important and I am damned if I will not contribute to my child's education even if all I can afford is €5.00). Then there will be the minority in these schools who refuse to pay. The ethos of these schools is to open opportunity to their pupils.

"Equality of Opportunity in Education " has only a small amount to do with money. It has far more to do with attitude. Parents who commit to the education of their children will see their children succeed .

Children from "socially difficult" backgrounds (the place they were born) probably have a bigger/harder hill to climb. The thing is that with the educational support from their parents they get at least some way up that hill,some more than others . It would be naive and dishonest to deny that money does not give advantage.It is also naive and dishonest to deny that family attitude to education can impact negatively on the success of the child.
    good post. i never really liked school and did everything i could to get it over and done with as soon as possible but if i could go back, my attiude towards education would be very different. My old schools motto is Knowledge is strenght and i only really understood it after i left.

Parental attitude, amongst other things, has an impact on educational outcomes.

However, an educational system that requires a certain type of parental involvement in order to work cannot result in equality of opportunity.

Also, let's not forget that what some will call "top performing schools", aren't schools that give students a well rounded education that teaches children to think for themselves and function in the real world, but rather are schools that teach kids the best ways to do examinations that don't predict the long term retention of knowledge. Likewise, are the parents of these children better parents, or are they parents who know how to play the system and who push kids towards an end that the children would not choose form themselves?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment