Register to Comment

INTEL may cut 20000 jobs: 1/5 of Total Workforce

According to the RTE website www.rte.ie/aertel/p133.htm Intel may announce the cutting of 20000 jobs next week, or 1/5 of their workforce. The only question is how deep the cuts are going to bite at the Leixlip plant?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The story has disappeared. Is there another link?

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    The story has disappeared. Is there another link?
    They seem to have shifted it. Try this instead.
    www.rte.ie/business/2006/0901/intel.html

I hope this doesn't turn into another WE'RE DOOMED!!!! thread. I think most people now understand that it's the skills of the workers that is most important. I remember when Digital closed in Galway. There is no a much more diverse, successful industrial base in the area.

It may be that Intel reduce the workforce - but they are highly skilled. Equally, Intel has actually increased investment in Ireland during past retrenchments. There's no basis for thinking this is even the beginning of the end.

Before we see the releases which will inevitably flow, I think one of the lowest things some politicians do is to encourage fear and uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Salthill
    I hope this doesn't turn into another WE'RE DOOMED!!!! thread. I think most people now understand that it's the skills of the workers that is most important. I remember when Digital closed in Galway. There is no a much more diverse, successful industrial base in the area.
    Before we see the releases which will inevitably flow, I think one of the lowest things some politicians do is to encourage fear and uncertainty.

Doh! So this is potentially a good news story?
    There are 4,700 Intel employees in Ireland and if 20% of them lose out then that will be significant. I dont believe that will happen but if I was working in Intel I would be slightly fearfull about the uncertainty that hangs over the company this weekend. Thats not down to politicans but to journalists

So the axe didn't fall after all. However, Constantin Gurdgiev on The Breakfast Show this morning was implying that the workforce were on borrowed time before the manufacturing operation is moved to India. This is due, in his opinion, to our R&D deficits, which he attributes to our "ossified academic structures". I was hoping Ger Gilroy would ask him to spell out what he meant, but he didn't.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment