Register to Comment
Page 3 of 238 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree776Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    I never said they did. I was merely stating that they are saying nothing of substance here.
    Yes you did. The IMF said they thought a "smooth contraction" was likely. You said that "I think all this "soft landing" rhetoric is put about by those who have a vested interest in the property boom."
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by frankie
    In saying all that I have said I will admit that there is never a guarentee that things will stay good for ever but our economy is in good hands and even if FG got into power I am confident they could manage it quite well but Trever the terrible scares me.
    Which one of Trevor's policies scares you so?

Might it be the Green policy to rapidly build up an indigenous energy industry? You know, spend our energy dollars with Irish farmers and energy companies instead of with Siberian Oligarchs and Saudi Sheiks!

The only thing that can derail us at the minute is a world war which seems to be developeing between East and West.
    Between the US and China, with the Middle East and its oil & gas as the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    I never said they did. I was merely stating that they are saying nothing of substance here.
    Yes you did. The IMF said they thought a "smooth contraction" was likely. You said that "I think all this "soft landing" rhetoric is put about by those who have a vested interest in the property boom."
    No I didn't. The IMF also said that "an abrupt correction cannot be ruled out." Therefore, seeing as how they are on both sides of the issue, and therefore are saying nothing of significance, I do not regard them as being part of the argument I was making.

I think all this "soft landing" rhetoric is put about by those who have a vested interest in the property boom.
    That's unlikely in an IMF report.
    You posted above:

"The IMF expect "While the contraction of the construction sector to a more sustainable size over the medium term is likely to be smooth", while noting that "an abrupt correction cannot be ruled out." "

The IMF are speaking out of both sides of their greedy mouth here.

I was specifically refering to the government, the legal profession, the banks and the builders - all of whom, through their pandering latchicos in the media, will seek to maintain the facade that all is well in the property mnarket when it so obviously isn't.

Dear Johnny
    I really hate telling you this but Santa is dead actually he never really existed. Its just like communism a big joke.

Build a bridge Johnny and get over it.capitolism has served the people well in Ireland and in most other countrys and the only BUBBLE bursting at the minute is the communists one
    Can you not make your point without resorting to poorly-spelled invective?

Johnny and pidge will you both relax you are like two cats fighting and you both are going of the topic by argueing.

I am in the process of buying apartment number 6
    and then, without batting an eyelid....

There is no bubble going to burst.....
    Don't worry frankie: I'll be here to take all 6 of them off you when the letters from the building society start getting a bit hot and heavy.

Its time someone took on these doom merchants and expose them every time their predictions are wrong .

Ireland is still one of the fastest growing economys in Europe 100% employment and one of the highest rates of home ownership inthe world most familys have two or three cars ,everybody has access to third level Education etc etc and these dam economists are trying to still upset us.
    Shur t'will all work out fine Career politicians love suckers like you.

Economic illiterates like you prefer to get their analysis from them.

Wouldn't life be grand if the economy was like a huge Roches Stores, where after a 105 years at the graft of retailing and any other business, we let the Brits takeover the operations and sit back as the rent money flows?

The IMF said that the economy is "unbalanced."

Why worry about falling exports, falling foreign direct investment, falling industrial jobs, falling productivity and competitiveness, when we can continue producing almost half of the equivalent of the UK annual housing output?

Johnny and pidge will you both relax you are like two cats fighting and you both are going of the topic by argueing.
    What? I thought that was a decidely good-natured argument as they go. And how is it off-topic? The thread concerns an IMF report, doesn't it?

I think all this "soft landing" rhetoric is put about by those who have a vested interest in the property boom.
    That's unlikely in an IMF report.
    You posted above:

"The IMF expect "While the contraction of the construction sector to a more sustainable size over the medium term is likely to be smooth", while noting that "an abrupt correction cannot be ruled out." "

The IMF are speaking out of both sides of their greedy mouth here.

I was specifically refering to the government, the legal profession, the banks and the builders - all of whom, through their pandering latchicos in the media, will seek to maintain the facade that all is well in the property mnarket when it so obviously isn't.

Dear Johnny
    I really hate telling you this but Santa is dead actually he never really existed. Its just like communism a big joke.

Build a bridge Johnny and get over it.capitolism has served the people well in Ireland and in most other countrys and the only BUBBLE bursting at the minute is the communists one
    Yes. That JM Keyne was one communist wasn't he? :P

The imf is from the family of global financial institutions seized decades ago by those that see the world through a one-size-fits-all smudged prism. Every report they issue should be viewed with that in mind whether they have a vested interest in the sector they are talking about or not.

Pidge, Johnny said 'I think all this "soft landing" rhetoric is put about by those who have a vested interest in the property boom.' He said nothing about the IMF but that does not mean that their views can't concurr with those with a vested interest in construction. Like they did with say those wishing to see the introduction of third level fees in Britain say, or upfront fees for everything and anything for that matter...

Pssst! Don't mention JM Keynes
    http://business.guardian.co.uk/story...127538,00.html

In the press, these reports are normally graced with the adjectives "authoritative" or "influential". A better description, however, would be "neo-liberal" or even "dogmatic", given that both the IMF and the OECD have a view of the world that was forged in the inflationary 1970s and has remained unchanged ever since. These institutions were long ago seized by those who be lieve as a matter of ideology that low tax economies are superior to high tax economies, that the private sector is to be preferred to the public sector, and that any government which pursues an alternative agenda is heading for inflation and bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by qtman
    I am in the process of buying apartment number 6
    and then, without batting an eyelid....

There is no bubble going to burst.....
    Don't worry frankie: I'll be here to take all 6 of them off you when the letters from the building society start getting a bit hot and heavy.
    Hey qtman why would the building socieys be sending me letters? and why would you wait till things get hot and heavy to buy an appartment? Go out and buy one now, never keep your cash for rainy days invest it now.!

You give the impression that you have money on hold for the hot and heavy days ,take my advice and use it now because as time goes by you cash stash will be worth less and less.

If you want advice send me your email address and any questions you might have

Page 3 of 238 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment