Register to Comment
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    Im sure that post will not last long .. it will be shilled to death and alt stat-ed to within an inch of its life

Please have a look at the show ( its on tv3+1 now ) on player .. interested to hear your thoughts
    Yes, wrt a recession in The UK, which is very likely, I doubt there has ever been a case where The UK was in that situation and we didn't follow it, pretty sharpish.
    Re bringing our own emigrants back, sure why would they come back to provincial Ireland to be treated like shyte and it's impossible to live in Leoland due to the impossible cost of living!
    Essentially, we are very much in a situation, where the great and the good (who weren't let suffer in the first place, during the recession are surprise, surprise doing better than ever)
    Landlords are huge winners!
    For most common folk we are in a CT excess scenario - massive rents and increasing prices, but wages are nowhere near CT levels and won't be either!
    Oh and the point about our national debt is extremely valid, when things go belly up it will be another massive boot into our collective genitals!
    Also another thing, with a degree in most cases (yes, there are exceptions) now being the equivalent of the old Inter Cert for employment purposes, I wonder has this actually disproportionately benefit the imbecile kids of the middle classes (not regular middle class kids, but those who would never have got near a university, a decade ago), who will now have paper behind them to justify their class equals employing them ahead of others!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Good show tonight about this IBEC report thing .. on TV3 THE TONIGHT SHOW.

Niamh Hourigan played a blinder.

- 60,000 on activation courses, 90,000 parttime workers .. all classed as working for stats purposes.

- Retail Excellence Ireland saying retail has been down down down in last two quarters of 2017 and more than likely 1st quarter of 2018.

- REI also saying HUGE amount of Irish People buying ONLINE outside of Ireland .. in the main from UK sites ... and CHINA ( didnt know China figured as much )

- Excise duties down by 300 Million in third quarter of 2017. Mainly via SME exporters, sterling/euro exchange rate. Not an FDI issue as much. Irish SME exporters at highest risk.

- Even though its overall 15% export reliance on UK, factor out FDI and that figure goes well north of 40% for Irish SME exporters

- Ireland currently has highest debt in EUROZONE. Higher than GREECE.

To be sure I got all that correct please listen to show on TV3 Player catchup. Ill post the link here when its up

Most likely appear here ( lasts nights at the mo ) - https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/1294
    All of this stuff has been done to death.

Yes, there are people on labour activation programmes and yes there are part-time underemployed workers but the numbers of both are dropping like stones.

Retail Excellence Ireland are saying that on the one hand people aren't spending money in their shops and yet on the other hand people are spending huge sums online. If people are spending more where is the money coming from? Extra income perhaps. Sluggish sales are not showing up in VAT receipts or the CSO's retail sales stats with both growing 7% or so.

People buying stuff online is not necessarily bad. It is likely it would have had to be imported anyway so the loss is just the part that would have gone to the Irish retailer. If the consumer gets the good cheaper we get the product AND can spend the saving on something else. How's trade in the pubs? Maybe that's being funded from savings by shopping online. REI just want their paws on that.

The Excise point makes no sense. €300 million down on what? Excise is up 4% on 2016. Excise is paid on fuel, alcohol, tobacco and motor vehicles sold or brought into Ireland. It has got absolutely nothing to do with SME exporters.

Export reliance on the UK is a risk. It says nothing about growth. And anyway exports to GB are up, notably food exports.

We've lots of debt. Wow. Who knew! And what does that say about growth? Absolutely nothing. Which is pretty much what that post adds.
    Last edited by Taxi Driver; 12th January 2018 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Journalism in this country seems to be fairly poor.

A lot of questions that seem obvious never seem to be asked.
    Any word on OPEC?
    Do you need a reminder before you run away again, just like the last time!

What a load of tosh!(from IBEC)
    Meanwhile ,on planet earth, large urban centres have 20% + unemployment and rampant crime.
    I thought peeps were recoiling against 'Fake news' ?
    Seemingly not

I think when they say "we" maybe they mean themselves i.e. big business.

Quote Originally Posted by SuirView View Post
    Any word on OPEC?
    Do you need a reminder before you run away again, just like the last time!
    Happy New Year.

Did you roll over the carers contract for 2018 ?

DOF said excise was down on new vehicles but I believe they made it up on second hand cars imported from the UK etc...

I thought all tax heads were up in 2017 Robut.

You even have the doomsters on p.ie giving out about low paid jobs and yet they have no problem spending money online with UK Companies etc..

As I keep saying

Buy Irish
    Shop in The Republic
    Holiday at home

If we all spent an extra 5 on Irish Products per week we would create 5,000 new jobs.

We can continue the turnaround ourselves if we SPEND our money intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    The Excise point makes no sense. €300 million down on what? Excise is up 4% on 2016. Excise is paid on fuel, alcohol, tobacco and motor vehicles sold or brought into Ireland. It has got absolutely nothing to do with SME exporters.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    DOF said excise was down on new vehicles but I believe they made it up on second hand cars imported from the UK etc...

I thought all tax heads were up in 2017 Robut.
    €300m tax hit as Brexit drives shoppers across Border

Signs of a significant pick-up in Brexit-related cross-Border shopping has emerged in the national accounts.

A €300 million fall-off in excise duty receipts in the second quarter of 2017 was attributed to increased purchases of alcohol, cigarettes and fuel across the Border.

From Sat, Sep 16, 2017, 05:35

The show about all this is up on TV3 now at:

https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/1294

Matt and Ivan. I think it was Niamh Hourigan Ucc made point about the excise down ..
    Last edited by robut; 12th January 2018 at 08:51 PM.

€300m tax hit as Brexit drives shoppers across Border

From Sat, Sep 16, 2017, 05:35

The show about all this is up on TV3 now at:

https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/1294

Matt and Ivan. I think it was Niamh Hourigan Ucc made point about the excise down ..
    On excise, the target figure for 2017 for 5.895b, The actual was 60m below that. In year on year terms excise increased by 214m.

In year on year terms every tax head finished well up, with 2.8b more in taxes collected than in 2016 , a 6% rise.

Coast, Oasis and Warehouse continue to see Irish sales decline

Top high street fashion brands are struggling to survive on Ireland’s high street.

In the same week that Forever 21 announced it is to close its only store in Ireland after racking up losses of more than €40 million since 2010, newly-filed accounts for the Irish subsidiaries of three high street brands – Coast, Oasis and Warehouse – show sales continued to decline last year.
    Online no doubt ..

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment