Register to Comment
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree18Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    You have clearly never visited China in any capacity and know nothing about China. As a regular business visitor to China, I can assure you that the ghost towns have not "filled up", they continue to rot, some are quietly being demolished.

Large numbers still live in the countryside, not sure it it is still 50%.

These rest of your post is without foundation in fact and reality.
    I read economic reports about China in The Economist and stock market media. Those articles are written by people making a living from their forecasts and observations and are probably a lot more informed than you.

For instance, The Economist noted recently that the government is freeing Chinese farmers to sell their land tenancies with a view to consolidating the vast numbers of small holdings into larger units that can be mechanised. This will have a big impact on the roughly 50% of the population in the countryside and will lead to migration of labour to the cities where labour shortages are occuring. You didn't learn that on your travels there now, did you?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    An interesting question is what caused the lack of imagination in planning regulations? Leaving Cert crammer mentalities?
    I'd say it was a number of things. The period after the Second World War was, in many days, a dark age for architecture. The new doctrines of modernism in architecture and planning were all the rage, and they were applied willy-nilly all over the world. Conventional wisdom as to how cities should be built was thrown out and planners, bewitched by the ideas of the modernists, imagined a future ruled by the car, with tower blocks sticking out of green parks. Even good ideas, the accumulated wisdom of centuries were dumped too. But it was more the post war American ideal that struck a chord here, the idea of every family in their own home with front and back gardens with a car in the garage. The city centres were left to rot, reserved for shopping and office use, with freeways bulldozed through them.
    Of course, as in other matters, Ireland picked up these ideas second hand, and made a right botch of them (in some areas, probably fortunately: The Corpo and Govt. didn't have the money to run the carriageways through old Dublin).
    Some people claim that the ruling mentality of the Irish elites was anti-Urban to start with. The planners who ruled the roost in Dublin Corporation certainly seemed to have no sympathy for the city, outside of certain showpieces. They certainly didn't imagine it as a place to live. I think there's a grain of truth in that. The reigning ideology of post-independence made much of rural ireland as the "real" Ireland ("a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads" -no mention of the cities) and I think there was a (sometimes unvoiced, perhaps unconscious, but present, nevertheless) feeling of cities as an alien, English thing.

See also https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ents-1.3302506
    Last edited by IvoShandor; 9th December 2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment