Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #1
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,033

    Soft Brexitt border with Northern Ireland wouldl result in demands that businesses record all their imports and incentivise vast smuggling networks

    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    gleeful gleeful is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,491

    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.
    The prolonged Fitzgerald agony seems to have distracted p.ie readers from discussing here the practicalities of Brexit for the border trade.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Man or Mouse Man or Mouse is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,972

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.
    My experience of NI commercial drivers was one where many of the laws that seem to be enforced down here are blithely ignored up there. Cash is a big part of that scenario. And that's under present arrangements.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Man or Mouse View Post
    My experience of NI commercial drivers was one where many of the laws that seem to be enforced down here are blithely ignored up there. Cash is a big part of that scenario. And that's under present arrangements.
    The soft border was confirmed in the UK/EU negotiations yesterday.Two cheers for smuggling occupations and a boom in hiring customs and excise agents north and south!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Roll_On Roll_On is offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,372

    If NI does indeed leave the customs union, buy yourself a van. Items with a significant price differential on either side of the line will be a goldmine
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39,773

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.
    Isn't that just what the IRA were doing for years?

    "Soft border" means the status quo, by the way. What you have right now.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39,773

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.
    Sounds just like Brexit, then.

    Its like the Red Queen in Through the Looking Glass. She runs very fast but always stays in the same place.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    39,773

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    The soft border was confirmed in the UK/EU negotiations yesterday.Two cheers for smuggling occupations and a boom in hiring customs and excise agents north and south!
    "Soft Border" = Status Quo

    A border with new excise agents by definition is not a soft border, and has been ruled out by the DUP and the UK gov.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    "Soft Border" = Status Quo

    A border with new excise agents by definition is not a soft border, and has been ruled out by the DUP and the UK gov.
    The agents won't worlk at border crossongs but will be needed to collect customs and excise taxes on shipments at delivery points past the border.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment