Register to Comment
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Trickle down is voodoo economics.
    We've thrived on 'leprechaun economics' for the last 20 years - why not voodoo economics?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters View Post
    Word is from my friends in the industry that Google and LinkedIn are going even larger scale in Dublin. Google buying at least one more new or refurb block , LinkedIn leasing one. I said some days ago when the T was in California that he hadn't gone there for nothing. Several announcements followed including one I forecast re Facebook. Fascinating times we live in.
    High profile companies for sure but these are jobs for the smug geeks - we need more industry that employs hundreds at a time.

This move is only made for tax reasons and the economy doesn't benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uganda View Post
    Dear Google

You may only offer ar$eholes your jobs.

Ireland
    You'd fit right into Victorian England with the labels applied to demean the less fortunate in society who grow up in impoverished backgrounds. I suppose you don't think they should rise above their station?

Wow! Fab! Now if only this large scale investment could house it's workforce,
    US firms warn housing crisis could harm Ireland’s competitiveness
    Call for 30,000 rental properties for multinational staff
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ness-1.3279433

A representative body for US businesses, including some of the biggest employers in the country, has warned the housing crisis is so severe it could damage Ireland’s competitiveness.

A report for the American Chamber of Commerce Ireland said more than 30,000 new one- and two-bedroom rental properties will be needed in Dublin by 2022 to sustain new jobs in multinational companies and maintain growth in inward investment.
    The report said 232,500 new housing units will be required nationally over the next five years, including 81,500 in the greater Dublin area. Of these, 82,500 will be required in the rental sector, including 32,500 in and around Dublin.

Demand for new dwellings is estimated to be “at least 40,000 and closer to 50,000 per year,” according to the report on the housing shortage and its impact on foreign direct investment (FDI).

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Yes and hardly any unemployed Irish will get these jobs I suspect if Googles building in Ringsend is anything to go by., I hope I am wrong. We need local recruitment requirements so that these investments benefit the local community and lift them out of poverty.
    Local community in theses areas have declined to take free education serious . so sadly they will not be trying for the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Darling View Post
    Local community in theses areas have declined to take free education serious . so sadly they will not be trying for the jobs.
    You need a university degree for these kind of jobs which is increasingly unattainable for the working class especially considering costs of accomodation in Dublin.

I do agree but you need to be realistic. Would the unemployed in the local community have the tech or foreign language skills to avail of these new positions ? I am afraid that is doubtful or in modern Dublin they wouldn't be unemployed anyway. You must look at secondary positions. I know it sounds harsh but if someone from outside Ireland can meet the likes of Googles requirements and pay taxes and contribute to the nation then I am fine with that. Yesterday IBM announced 150 jobs for Mulhuddart. Most of the people you speak of are completely unqualified for these roles. Does that mean we don't want the investment? There are millions of Irish and Plastics overseas who can and do fill these jobs. And if there were not then Google et al would not be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara2 View Post
    Wow! Fab! Now if only this large scale investment could house it's workforce,
    US firms warn housing crisis could harm Ireland’s competitiveness
    Call for 30,000 rental properties for multinational staff
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ness-1.3279433
    Pity we cannot balance the growth but it's all being driven by what the companies want and if that helps a few citizens then that's positive too

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Mac View Post
    You really thought it was serious.

That's where we are folk's Even a parody response which shows how misguided it is to just bow down to big business and give them anything they want gets taken as serious.

What did DE write that was problematic? Bar problematic for neo liberals.
    Last time I looked, we were in the EU. That means any EU native can apply for a job here. The auld Freedom of Movement thang.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    I suppose something has to be salvaged from the Apple/Athenry debacle.
    Yep. Country poke can eat there scenery. While we in Dublin get the jobs.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment