Register to Comment
Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree511Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    Buying shares is a risky business, of its very nature. The Eircom and Aer Lingus flotations as well as any given day watching the stock markets show this. People like Warren Buffett are the exceptions rather then rule.
    I'm not certain that putting a threshold on the potential purchase is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. It prevents a repeat of the Eircom situation where people who knew nothing about investing bought in, on the then governments advice, and lost heavily.

2. The public has already bought into, through state borrowings, AIB. Imagine a situation where the public, in large numbers, lost heavily, buying it a second time?

That might all make sense, but adults should be allowed to make their own decisions.

As I said, nobody cared about the thousands screwed out of variable rate mortgage holders, by AIB.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Casablanca makes an excellent point.

I'd add: income tax comes disproportionately from the wealthier PAYE sector.

And bank shares being pursued by "little people" was a disaster the last time. Lots of pensioners were wiped out.

All things considered, best that those who can't bear the risk stay clear.

I'd be amazed if AIB's floatation is a success.

Dandy. What about allowing adults to choose how to spend their money?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    You know that sellimg AIB is about paying back the public who funded the bailout, right?

Did you read the op?

I'd add the following from the said Mr Buffett:

"invest in what you know about, nothing else.
    Low-cost index funds are sensible for almost everyone.
    When you buy a stock, plan to hold it forever.
    Most news is just noise"

https://www.simplysafedividends.com/...stment-advice/

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Casablanca makes an excellent point.

I'd add: income tax comes disproportionately from the wealthier PAYE sector.

And bank shares being pursued by "little people" was a disaster the last time. Lots of pensioners were wiped out.

All things considered, best that those who can't bear the risk stay clear.

I'd be amazed if AIB's floatation is a success.

By the way, have you considered that somebody who has 10k in savings, might want to punt 2k on these, but this threshold might encourage them to punt the whole lot?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    That might all make sense, but adults should be allowed to make their own decisions.

As I said, nobody cared about the thousands screwed out of variable rate mortgage holders, by AIB.

I agree to a point. An adult can invest their savings/or borrow 10k if they so choose. Surely to have learned something from the grief caused by Eircom/AIB collapse and the variable rate mess is a good thing? A poster holding an opposing view to yours might well have written an OP lamenting the government lack of concern in repeating those errors if a free-for-all were encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    By the way, have you considered that somebody who has 10k in savings, might want to punt 2k on these, but this threshold might encourage them to punt the whole lot?
    I'd imagine, (but might be wrong), that a potential investor having weighed up the options and informing themselves of the risks and with the aim of a long term return, could buy 2k worth of shares on the open market after the flotation.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    You know that sellimg AIB is about paying back the public who funded the bailout, right?
    Yeah? So what will the funds be used for? TD's wage increases, funding bloodly useless quangos, recognising travellers as more equal than the rest of us, free legal aid for professional and habitual criminals, etc. etc. bejayus thanks for bringing that to my attention.

How much will I get for a fiver

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    I agree to a point. An adult can invest their savings/or borrow 10k if they so choose. Surely to have learned something from the grief caused by Eircom/AIB collapse and the variable rate mess is a good thing? A poster holding an opposing view to yours might well have written an OP lamenting the government lack of concern in repeating those errors if a free-for-all were encouraged.

I am not advocating a free for all. And I might believe that Noonan cared about the public, if he hadn't presided over the screwing of AIB mortgage holders for years, because he argued that it was not for him to interfere.

This is about Noonan trying to avoid political fallout for him and FG. That his party's voters typically might be more likely to have 10k,is a happy coincidence, of course.

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment