Register to Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #1
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    263

    The NIMBY power structure is the main cause of high housing prices and high rents

    Ireland's biggest cities have modest populations by international standards, so housing should be cheap. The main reason it isn't cheap is the NIMBYS-the "Not in My Backyard" home owners who opposes all housing building in their locality, often under environmental pretexts.

    Unfortunately, existing home owners who dominate council elections include a high proportion of NIMBYS. Naturally, councils and councillors in big cities like Dublin,Cork and Galway are sensitive to NIMBYISM and pass regulations to hobble housing development or underfund housing infrastructure. The national government is also sensitive to NIMBYS who often approach TDs about preventing housing projects.

    Despite this,some progress was made in recent years. Former Environment Minister Kelly removed the setting of technical house building standards from councils and centralised it in his department because councils' standards were becoming too stringent, including excessive minimum apartment sizes in Dublin and dual aspect windows that added substantially to costs. He also should have remove planning permissions from councils, though leaving council planning offices in place for local knowledge. If housing building fails to meet government targets this year, Housing Minister Coveney should do so.

    The political influence of NIMBYS is completely underestimated by Irish media who ought to report on the situation like this article on Seattle https://thecisforcrank.com/2017/04/0...wer-structure/
    Last edited by Patslatt1; 19th April 2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Socratus O' Pericles Socratus O' Pericles is offline
    Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26,271

    Shane Ross of closet Fine Gael is one of the biggest NIMBY 's in the history of the state.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Taidhg Gaelach Taidhg Gaelach is offline
    Taidhg Gaelach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    11,309

    That's one reason for the ludicrously high house prices, but not the most important one by any means. Much more important is the structure of Irish banking, where Irish mortgages can be securitized, and then sold off on the international bonds market. The price of Irish housing is now a function of transnational Shadow Banking demand for asset backed securities - not Irish national needs.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Sweet Darling Sweet Darling is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    584

    Clare "meee Daaa wss in daaa armeeee" Daly the closet posh girl is one of the biggest
    nimby's in her worr kin class constituency

    Clare Daly & Leo Varadkar opposed housing developments because of impact it would have on neighbouring property values



    Michael O'Leary hero of the working class.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Voluntary Voluntary is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,467

    Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Shane Ross of closet Fine Gael is one of the biggest NIMBY 's in the history of the state.
    Ross fighting plans to build 108 homes in his constituency - Independent.ie




    anybody knows what's the status of these 108 homes?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    mr_anderson mr_anderson is offline
    mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,531

    NIMBY isn't the problem.
    Dublin has plenty of land outside of NIMBY areas.

    Look at build costs, then look at build costs + all taxes, levies, contributions etc.
    Combine that with mortgages being limited by salary & deposits (a good thing !) and the ordinary punter cannot afford a property.
    So the developers don't build.

    The government needs to eliminate VAT on property built & sold over the next 4 years.
    It also needs to force DCC to permit high-rise in the city centre.

    We don't have a NIMBY problem.
    We don't have a housing problem.
    We have a tax & planning problem.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Voluntary Voluntary is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,467

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    NIMBY isn't the problem.
    Dublin has plenty of land outside of NIMBY areas.

    Look at build costs, then look at build costs + all taxes, levies, contributions etc.
    Combine that with mortgages being limited by salary & deposits (a good thing !) and the ordinary punter cannot afford a property.
    So the developers don't build.

    The government needs to eliminate VAT on property built & sold over the next 4 years.
    It also needs to force DCC to permit high-rise in the city centre.

    We don't have a NIMBY problem.
    We don't have a housing problem.
    We have a tax & planning problem.
    Planning restrictions and NIMBY opposition impose very high land prices. We have 'affordable' land available outside NIMBY interest areas and that's why Dublin is spreading to Longford. Majority of current development happens in semi remote locations. It's like copying America but they at least have 6 lanes+ motorway network so people are kind of able to commute tens of miles from their 4 bed houses to work.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    263

    Quote Originally Posted by Taidhg Gaelach View Post
    That's one reason for the ludicrously high house prices, but not the most important one by any means. Much more important is the structure of Irish banking, where Irish mortgages can be securitized, and then sold off on the international bonds market. The price of Irish housing is now a function of transnational Shadow Banking demand for asset backed securities - not Irish national needs.
    Mortgage credit has dried up, thanks to endless legal delays on housing repossessions. It seems Celtic Tiger home owners in mortgage defaults deserve sympathy comparable to rackrented 19th century Irish tenant farmers who rented a few acres for growing potatoes to feed their families.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    263

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    NIMBY isn't the problem.
    Dublin has plenty of land outside of NIMBY areas.

    Look at build costs, then look at build costs + all taxes, levies, contributions etc.
    Combine that with mortgages being limited by salary & deposits (a good thing !) and the ordinary punter cannot afford a property.
    So the developers don't build.

    The government needs to eliminate VAT on property built & sold over the next 4 years.
    It also needs to force DCC to permit high-rise in the city centre.

    We don't have a NIMBY problem.
    We don't have a housing problem.
    We have a tax & planning problem.
    We have a lack of high density problem
    Ditto high rise limits problem.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Patslatt1 Patslatt1 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    263

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Darling View Post
    Clare "meee Daaa wss in daaa armeeee" Daly the closet posh girl is one of the biggest
    nimby's in her worr kin class constituency

    Clare Daly & Leo Varadkar opposed housing developments because of impact it would have on neighbouring property values



    Michael O'Leary hero of the working class.
    GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS

    TDs write letters for everything, probably a majority being cut and paste. Hopefully, planners understand the political posturing. Councillors depend more on homeowner votes for local issues than TDs and their objections are more likely to be taken seriously by planners.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment