Register to Comment
Page 1 of 31 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Hollyhell - What's It Like To Work For Apple In Ireland

It's now quite common for Apple employees to refer to their workplace in Cork as Hollyhell. A former employee liked the situation to a digital chicken factory with long well designed bank of cages. That's since they have removed the cubicle floor design at the facility to introduce a more "transparent workplace". Employees were ordered to remove all personal items from their desk spaces during a visit by Tim Cook to the Apple European HQ in 2015.

Apparently local Apple managers control employees continuously and record minutes, and seconds spent on toilet visits. They have diligently created special codes to record these events in employee observation profiles to ridicule individual employees during all-hands meetings for overusing the "AUX-Code null".

Here is another one. If you arrive late for work, let's say 5 minutes, an automatic "incident" record will be created which over time can change your company health insurance coverage significantly.

Former Apple employee Daniela Kickl has summarized her experience at the Cork facility in "Something is rotten in the state of Apple" and it really reminds the reader to a Gulag like corrective labor camp with a communist overload "The Company" that uses "business needs" as the ultimate guide for employees to follow unquestioned. With managers as camp guards that ruthlessly enforce rules meticulously every step of the way. Guards with MacBook always ready in hand to find another reason to punish you for negligence.

Not a nice place to work for some tis?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...-search-policy

http://roadlesstravelled.me/2015/04/...to-quit-apple/
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

As my boss used to tell me when I bitched - there's no lock on the gate.

These are the great jobs we are giving up 13 billion in tax for?

The really startling thing is that Apple sounds, well, just like every other large organisation in the world:

It’s an organised boys club where perception is valued over substance and tenure over talent.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    True enough... although I really don't get the whole 'Apple' cult thing at all...

Nice enough products but the competition caught up long ago and have bettered Apple in some ways...

For a company as rich as Apple is however... it really should be treating ALL staff well... including those of subcontractors and ensuring they're properly paid and looked after...

Ditto many other western 'brands' which undoubtedly take the p!ss around the world and make obscene profits on the backs of the poor...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    These are the great jobs we are giving up 13 billion in tax for?
    FFS... ... will you please clue yourself up a bit before regurgitating sh!te...

Little if any of the €13 billion is owed to Ireland... a fact that has been widely known and accepted for a long time now...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    True enough... although I really don't get the whole 'Apple' cult thing at all...
    I did 2 interviews to work at Intel, neither time was the role explained in English although the 2nd guy apologised for the Intelese jargon and said they really looked for people with site experience as its so different to anywhere else. Thereafter if an agent suggested Intel, I said no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Apparently there is another more popular exit at Hollyhell now these days, and Apple HR has already created the all-new suicide helpdesk... if you follow Kickl's line of thought here.

Apple has a fairly diverse range of operations in Cork, but it's not uncommon to have strict timekeeping in some parts of any business. For example, in Customer Service, you need to have the right number of people on the phones at any given moment to avoid situations where customers are waiting 10+ minutes to get through (clearly Bank of Ireland does not plan this well).

One thing I have noticed in companies where I've worked (and Apple is not among them) is that managers who have come through from that direct operations background is that they don't know how to switch off from that mindset when working in more strategic, project-focused roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Eh... you may be getting close enough to legal issues with this... unless you've got proof other than 'apparent' hear say?
    It's all published here now:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Intern-.../dp/3990012185

Page 1 of 31 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment