Register to Comment
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    As my boss used to tell me when I bitched - there's no lock on the gate.
    As two people, probably neither of which was your boss, used to tell me when I bitched: Man is born free and yet everywhere is in chains..........and...... you have nothing to lose except your chains!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Apple has a fairly diverse range of operations in Cork, but it's not uncommon to have strict timekeeping in some parts of any business. For example, in Customer Service, you need to have the right number of people on the phones at any given moment to avoid situations where customers are waiting 10+ minutes to get through (clearly Bank of Ireland does not plan this well).

One thing I have noticed in companies where I've worked (and Apple is not among them) is that managers who have come through from that direct operations background is that they don't know how to switch off from that mindset when working in more strategic, project-focused roles.
    Only in Ireland is arriving 5 minutes late for work considered an acceptable norm.

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    One thing I have noticed in companies where I've worked (and Apple is not among them) is that managers who have come through from that direct operations background is that they don't know how to switch off from that mindset when working in more strategic, project-focused roles.
    that's very true

people from an Ops background get a little bit panicked when they don't have a daily checklist to tick off

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    As my boss used to tell me when I bitched - there's no lock on the gate.
    Two competing elements to this however, in a healthy employment market, Apple would lose their staff on the basis of there being better jobs available in other companies...but that doesn't seem to be happening so we don't exactly have those conditions.

And the second question is why we as a society should stand idly by as our quality of employment is dragged down to that of a third world backwater.

Right wingers should understand this as well as anyone else. Indeed the gates not locked, just you'll have to find another way to finance the family and the mortgage, and if that's not available, then failure in governance shouldn't be seen as acceptable. I would have thought that in this era of right wing populism the center right would have learned it's lessons in avoiding the race to the bottom...guess not.

oh bullying and the workplace is a hell. So tell us something we didn't know.

and in other news, IT is not all its cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinnerBot No.32564844524 View Post
    Two competing elements to this however, in a healthy employment market, Apple would lose their staff on the basis of there being better jobs available in other companies...but that doesn't seem to be happening so we don't exactly have those conditions.

And the second question is why we as a society should stand idly by as our quality of employment is dragged down to that of a third world backwater.
    Eh... I think that's over-egging the negativity tbh...

There are sh!t jobs in all industries. Did one myself many moons ago... call centre... wretched stuff...

For the most part though... the MNCs provide decent enough jobs in decent enough work places...

Ireland isn't some big global economic power house with masses of natural resources either... so we're not exactly in a position to be demanding unrealistic pay and conditions etc...

In the globalised world we're in now if we don't remain competitive the choice is likely to be no work or emigrate...

Right wingers should understand this as well as anyone else. Indeed the gates not locked, just you'll have to find another way to finance the family and the mortgage, and if that's not available, then failure in governance shouldn't be seen as acceptable. I would have thought that in this era of right wing populism the center right would have learned it's lessons in avoiding the race to the bottom...guess not.
    Unfortunately Ireland is more like a small fishing boat in the global economic ocean as opposed to being a huge tanker...

We have to roll with the punches as a result even if doing so isn't particularly palatable at times...

eww i was of better opinion about Apple

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Eh... I think that's over-egging the negativity tbh...

There are sh!t jobs in all industries. Did one myself many moons ago... call centre... wretched stuff...

For the most part though... the MNCs provide decent enough jobs in decent enough work places...

Ireland isn't some big global economic power house with masses of natural resources either... so we're not exactly in a position to be demanding unrealistic pay and conditions etc...

In the globalised world we're in now if we don't remain competitive the choice is likely to be no work or emigrate...

Unfortunately Ireland is more like a small fishing boat in the global economic ocean as opposed to being a huge tanker...

We have to roll with the punches as a result even if doing so isn't particularly palatable at times...
    Which then takes momentum of it's own internationally leading to ever decreasing standards of living and the rise of right-wing populism as has been so ably demonstrated in recent events.

Can you alter your position towards something more constructive, or do we see the world falter for prevailing neo-liberal dogma? Ireland's competitive advantage has to be built on the attractiveness of its employment conditions in the same global market as with other factors such as cost and productivity, so do we innovate or do we just follow everyone else down the path that brought us the global financial crisis in the first place?

or maybe, just maybe, a disgruntled ex-employee may not have the most objective view of the situation?

you should take a trip to a third world backwater to find out why comparing a country with one of the highest minimum wages in the world and a first world standard of living with real, abject poverty is not just crass but also displays a total lack of any awareness

yep, we should try and be more like those myriad left-wing success stories like......er, um, er

Quote Originally Posted by Man or Mouse View Post
    Only in Ireland is arriving 5 minutes late for work considered an acceptable norm.

who said it was the norm?

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment