Register to Comment
Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Public-private sector pay gap narrows

The CSO has produced a research paper for the years 2011-2014, and it suggests that the pay gap is narrowing (see below table). The figures produced when using gross weekly earnings, show a narrowing gap from the years 2011 to 2014, and when the pension levy, a public sector tax is factored, then the gap closes more quickly and by 2014, private sector earns slightly more. In general those who are lower paid are better off in the public sector, and for the top earners they are better off in the private sector. The results also show the gap between male and female pay, with women better off in the public sector.

There is no one set of data that best presents the so called pay gap, as there is disagreement over methodologies, something which the CSO point out. It is the latest offering in this debate and therefore I would welcome any comments and thoughts.

[IMG][/IMG]

Public-private sector pay differential narrows since crash
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/new...na20112014.pdf
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Does the comparison methodology factor in job for life and pension benefits?

Because if it doesn't, it's meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post

Job for life is becoming less common. Then throw in public sector pension v's oap then not such a difference. Assumptions that public sector is on bloated wages and ergo a drain on taxes, meets facts. As pointed out in the OP, there are many variables that can be taken into account, agreement over these not so straight forward.

I don't believe a single word I hear about Public Sector pay. The Irish PS is a vast criminal enterprise of which the CSO and RTE are just a part.

Quote Originally Posted by ted08 View Post
    Job for life is becoming less common.
    Really!.. so how many of the hundreds of thousands of public sector workers have been made redundant since say 2008?...

P.S.please answer with mathemathical precision i.e. numbers and not the usual bull schit weasel words.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabilito View Post
    Really!.. so how many of the hundreds of thousands of public sector workers have been made redundant since say 2008?...

P.S.please answer with mathemathical precision i.e. numbers and not the usual bull schit weasel words.
    As in newer staff being given time specific contracts, let go and onto the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    I don't believe a single word I hear about Public Sector pay. The Irish PS is a vast criminal enterprise of which the CSO and RTE are just a part.
    Or you don't like something that doesn't suit your narrative and all you can do is stick your fingers in your ears and spout, something.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ted08 View Post
    As in newer staff being given time specific contracts, let go and onto the next person.
    Yes the public sector shamefully pulled up the ladder on new recruits in order to selfishly retain their pay gap.. meanwhile the jobs for life for "older staff" continues along with their LOTTO pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post

seeessh, you cannot mention that, or the fact the longeer you stay in your job the higher the grade you will get, its time they were like the army, pass your exams in five years or take a trip to civvy street

A public sector body collecting this info could be (mis)construed as keeping the Apartheid going through using statistics!
    Private sector workers are heavily paying for a 4th woprld service and paying on the double/treble, because we not only have to pay through our taxes, we also usually have to pay excessive amounts at the point of access as well!

Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment