Register to Comment
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Economic measure? 21% fall in car sales .. 27.5% fall in commercials sales vs feb 2016

21% fall in new car sales for February - SIMI

New car sales fell by 21% last month when compared with February 2016, according to new figures from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI).

There were 17,128 new car registrations during the month, down from 21,573 for the same period a year ago.
    Commercial:

New Car Sales Down 21 Percent in February | Industry & Business

The commercial sector is down almost 27.5% in February with 2.5k new registrations compared to 3.4k in 2016.
    I did not hear much mention of this in the various Media, on TV / Radio news etc??

The RTE site says something I dont get .. One day can make THAT difference??

However, industry bodies have cited an extra trading day in February 2016 due to it being a leap year as a reason for such a pronounced fall in sales.
    Anyway .. whats going on here, these figures seem significant? Even a 5 or 10% drop would be seen as something to talk of BUT no discussion much anywhere on percentages like 21% fall in car sales .. 27.5% fall in commercials sales??

This ties in for me where ( from biz owner to biz owner chat ) many small to medium businesses around the country ( outside Dublin in the main ) have felt a big drop in business this January / February in comparison to last few previous years. When asked most cannot explain it.

I am not saying that this is a sign of doom, its just that it is peculiar. Maybe its Brexit fears, US Trump uncertainty ..

Lets hope this is a temporary business blip / anomaly
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The loss in Excise/VAT will certainly start to show in the public finances in the coming months.

It could be a sign of tightening credit lending for new car purchases? Lots of car companies offer credit facilities to buy their cars, maybe they're not offering as much as they were before??

AHA ..

Brexit to blame for sharp fall in new car sales in Laois - Leinster Express

Brexit is to blame for a sharp drop in car sales in Laois and around the country according to the motor industry.

The drop in Sterling caused by Brexit is resulting in the Euro going a lot further on the import market. Used car imports shot up by 46% to 7,787 nationally in February.
    AND

The Industry projections for the year suggest that new car sales could drop by 7,000 this year.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/519011/br...ime-last-year/

Look no further. Bought a Brit car myself a few weeks ago.

I was considering a 2017 Passat in November. I had intended going when VW do their 0% finance deal. There is one running at the minute. I would be in a new car for €299 per month. I want to wait a little longer as I am looking at moving job at the minute and I'm concerned about how this Brexit thing will work itself out.

The industry I'm currently working in is exposed to Brexit fairly deeply. If I were to move job, the company I am looking at is not as exposed. If I get the job, I'll buy the car.

The undercurrent out there is Brexit. It is having an effect on consumers propensity to consume. The consumption here being the commitment to a car loan of some type. As soon as certainty comes back into the debate, things should settle once more.

I fecking hate car sales. So much money sent to Germany , USA, Japan. Better if people kept their cars for longer and spent it on local goods and services

21% fall by value I assume. Cars got cheaper because of the fall in sterling?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    21% fall by value I assume. Cars got cheaper because of the fall in sterling?
    No, by volume.

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    I was considering a 2017 Passat in November. I had intended going when VW do their 0% finance deal. There is one running at the minute. I would be in a new car for €299 per month. I want to wait a little longer as I am looking at moving job at the minute and I'm concerned about how this Brexit thing will work itself out.

The industry I'm currently working in is exposed to Brexit fairly deeply. If I were to move job, the company I am looking at is not as exposed. If I get the job, I'll buy the car.

The undercurrent out there is Brexit. It is having an effect on consumers propensity to consume. The consumption here being the commitment to a car loan of some type. As soon as certainty comes back into the debate, things should settle once more.
    id prefer either the mondeo , honda accord or toyota avensis in that class but VW do hold their value in this country

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment