Register to Comment
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Up public transport.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by im axeled View Post
    stats guru samson posted that 70% of the population were living on under €230 per week, simples really
    I don't think I said that, I think I asked you where you got that stat!

On the car sales, and todays exchequer returns, the excise duties are down a bit, so whether that's brexit, the financing deals or otherwise, certainly down a lot. CSO stats on cars comes out next week, so we'll see how the second hand/imported market is faring, and whether people are going for that.

Local anecdote dictates that Jan and Feb have been back on last year and disappointing , the last time this happened was 07

Last year could have benefited from pent up demand over the previous few years and obviously that would be a one off sales boost, not repeated each year.

Were last years sales unusually high would be the question?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Within 10 years self driving cars will lead to a collapse in ownership rates. People will use uber-style services and rent on demand. Few people will bother owning a car.

Nonsense. Frankly I am at a total loss as to why people feel compelled to make such fatuous predictions. Consider a couple of predictions from 50 or so years ago. The year was 1969 when men walked on the moon and Concorde flew for the first time. Predictions ? Mars within a short time and supersonic flight for all. What have we now ? We have Saturn Vs and Concordes......in museums.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Within 10 years self driving cars will lead to a collapse in ownership rates. People will use uber-style services and rent on demand. Few people will bother owning a car.
    Don't own a car, haven't for a couple of years, rent with one of the biggies whether in Uk / Ireland and generally get 10-15 a day rentals in UK. Can bring back and switch to something else when needed and when travelling I just hand back and rent whereever I am going.

If not working for a month or two then don't generally need a car so don't bother.

People rave about their new car and spending 300 on a car per month they will never own after putting a big cash deposit down, they responsible for tax and insurance plus any repairs.

Now reckon probably spent 6-7k on cars last year, no insurance, no servicing, no repairs................. liability limited to 1000 if I have an accident rather than taking all the excess Insurances.

I struggle to see a downside long as remain accident free.

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Don't own a car, haven't for a couple of years, rent with one of the biggies whether in Uk / Ireland and generally get 10-15 a day rentals in UK. Can bring back and switch to something else when needed and when travelling I just hand back and rent whereever I am going.

If not working for a month or two then don't generally need a car so don't bother.

People rave about their new car and spending €300 on a car per month they will never own after putting a big cash deposit down, they responsible for tax and insurance plus any repairs.

Now reckon probably spent 6-7k on cars last year, no insurance, no servicing, no repairs................. liability limited to 1000 if I have an accident rather than taking all the excess Insurances.

I struggle to see a downside long as remain accident free.
    The man who does not own and love his car has no soul, you would do well to look to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    The man who does not own and love his car has no soul, you would do well to look to yours.
    Oh I love cars but why chuck hard earned cash into something that spends majority of time parked.

Last year did 35,000 km.................

I think the only sensible solution is to appeal to paddys low self esteem and change the registration plates to show that a car bought in march 2017 is newer and therefore the driver is a 'better' person than a car bought by an Irish person in February 2017.

This would give car sales a shot in the arm!

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    A number of small business owners in the West tell me that Christmas trade was back on previous year, and that first two months of 2017 have been quieter than same period in 2016.

Online sales, difficulty of getting credit, Brexit are blamed
    Usual BS.

THe government are to blame for mismanaging the economy and targeting average joes disposable income to line the pockets of party sponsors business interests and bail out uninsured junior bondholders , not to mention the NAMA bailout the busted developers trust fund.

Corrupt as ************************.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment