Register to Comment
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonS View Post
    Again, using an example we are all familiar with, garages and , how they have evolved over the last 10 -15 years - one place in Ballymahon opened recently in 2017, replacing a very small petrol pumps and tiny shop with 1 guy working there. The new place has the full whack, hot and cold deli, sit down area and loads of staff.
    At the same time an old established but tired looking shop/newsagents in Ballymahon closed in 2017 as well.

I suppose my point is the innovate or die position.

For normal retail, the same principle applies, whether that's about the "experience" or some other means.
    Indeed SamsonS

But I am not sure innovate or die will work very well with this ONLINE and AUTOMATION thing. All seem to mean way less jobs in the future for us humans?

The examples you give are still sort of based in B&M. In this Online / Automation time we are shifting away from real estate and tangible businesses you see on the street daily over to the virtual. At least in the past all these massive changes where innovate or die occurred were still rooted in tangible physical things. Its a big transition & as Niall said above .. at best the world reaction so far is kneejerk rather than proactive & much about it is being ignored by some hoping it might not happen soon or might just go away?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    Indeed SamsonS

But I am not sure innovate or die will work very well with this ONLINE and AUTOMATION thing. All seem to mean way less jobs in the future for us humans?

The examples you give are still sort of based in B&M. In this Online / Automation time we are shifting away from real estate and tangible businesses you see on the street daily over to the virtual. At least in the past all these massive changes where innovate or die occurred were still rooted in tangible physical things. Its a big transition & as Niall said above .. at best the world reaction so far is kneejerk rather than proactive & much about it is being ignored by some hoping it might not happen soon or might just go away?
    Yep, I suppose when I let the mind wander you really can see how online and AI could completely change what we do and how we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsonS View Post
    Yep, I suppose when I let the mind wander you really can see how online and AI could completely change what we do and how we do it.
    Online has been around for 20 years now - and there are more jobs than ever. So I don't think we can claim that it's going to 'destroy jobs' - if anything the reverse is the case.

AI however is still very much in its infancy. My organisation is trying very hard to introduce bots\AI to replace certain human roles - it's very hard and we have probably created more jobs trying to build the technology than we have removed!

The nature of jobs and work has changed constantly over the course of human history (think about farming over the centuries. Or teaching). This is just another iteration in that cycle. If you find yourself on the wrong side of it - adapt. What do you think all those telegraph clerks did?

But I dont think thats what I was saying?

As it stands now, via the EU directives etc .. the likes of AMAZON are not selling IN IRELAND so that €35k doesnt matter?

Some new ruling happened around 2015 where an Irish Citizen when buying something outside of Ireland on a European based Ecommerce site is charged the IRISH RATE of VAT at checkout. This VAT is then collected by Amazon and passed onto Irish revenue. Thats what I understand anyway. Its that whole VAT MOSS thing ( Google same )

In this case AMAZON are not a foreign company doing business in Ireland. I dont think that €35K worth of sales thing has anything to do with these EU directives

Previous to these EU directives that same Irish citizen might have paid the UK VAT amount on the Amazon.co.uk product checkout. I think that went to the UK revenue? I stand to be corrected on this
    Robut..... the 35K sales is part of the EU Vat Directive..... all the large MNC will have had to register for vat as their sales would well have exceeded the 35K barrier ......

[QUOTE]
    As it stands now, via the EU directives etc .. the likes of AMAZON are not selling IN IRELAND so that €35k doesnt matter?/QUOTE
    ]

this statement is wrong in regard vat ..... vat is an end consumer tax .... therefore while a company may not be physically selling here or have a presence ..... if the goods have their finally supply here then the goods are sold here and are liable for Irish vat provided the company sales of the EU company has exceeded the 35K level....
    Last edited by The Old Woman; 3rd January 2018 at 11:16 PM.

They had a great article on Panormama about "the 1 billion tax fraud"

It related to all the non UK companies selling on amazon I think it was.

Many compete on price because they DONT register for Vat in the UK.

Could be happening in Ireland also.

Loads of seperate companies selling under the Vat registration threshold amount annually.

You might get it on iplayer...BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    They had a great article on Panormama about "the 1 billion tax fraud"

It related to all the non UK companies selling on amazon I think it was.

Many compete on price because they DONT register for Vat in the UK.

Could be happening in Ireland also.

Loads of seperate companies selling under the Vat registration threshold amount annually.

You might get it on iplayer...BBC.
    Which means so that not alone is IRISH B&M Business not gaining the profit or the sale BUT Irish revenue are not receiving the VAT either?

Which means so that not alone is IRISH B&M Business not gaining the profit or the sale BUT Irish revenue are not receiving the VAT either?
    Exactly.

To what scale I have no idea.

Try and watch the program. It was very good.

Exactly.

BAH .. a double hit so ..

Will do .. thanks

BAH .. a double hit so ..

Will do .. thanks
    And the Inland Revenue were very lax about it also.

You definitely will enjoy

Exactly.

The vat directive is in operation over 20 yrs .... the Revenue will have course have all that info.....

They have a vat policy section in Dublin Castle the function of which is all things vat ..... surely surely surely they would have considered and recorded and foreseen the consequences of transfer pricing, web sales outside our borders ..... etc... that report if it exists would be an interesting read
    Last edited by The Old Woman; 4th January 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment