Register to Comment
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    And SEANIEFITZ - When starting this PCP deal in most cases you need to pay a deposit - typically around €5000 to €7000 - I wonder where that money is coming from? A credit union loan perhaps? If so then you get a loan to pay for the deposit on another loan. Remind you of anything in our recent past??
    Someone, somewhere is going to be left holding the baby. Pyramid selling
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Down in the rural county areas there are a fair amount of 151 & 161 cars on the road and I would say it is because they have to have a decent car to drive the long trip to the city to work. You could be doing 80 miles a day return trip. It's a necessity but you have to pay it back to the credit union...hence less local spend.

Nigh on impossible to start or run a business on the street in a small town. You have money going out as soon as you open the door and without local spending (plenty footfall) your in trouble.

Sorry to hear Clanrickard is looking at the doom scenario...hopefully it will not come to that.
    I will be fighting on. It may mean being smaller with just me and the other half. Between rates, taxes helt and saffitty and assorted red tape it is not easy.

And SEANIEFITZ - When starting this PCP deal in most cases you need to pay a deposit - typically around 5000 to 7000 - I wonder where that money is coming from? A credit union loan perhaps? If so then you get a loan to pay for the deposit on another loan. Remind you of anything in our recent past??
    that would be the trade in would it not ? , next time they will have go looking to credit union though , nothing to trade , madness

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    I guess the horse has bolted in terms of large retail outlets on the edge of towns and I do believe internet shopping is only going to increase in popularity. I feel that Local Authorities/government policy should focus on encouraging people to live in towns and not just estates on the outskirts. Most rural towns seem to empty out at 6ish!
    I have mixed experiences of internet shopping and tend not to if unless there is no alternative, such as certain books which may be out of print. I can get most of life's requisites in our local town so that's where I tend to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Irish businesses have a terrible online presence. Apart from the large chains, browsing their websites is a complete waste of time. Why can' they have a real presence in a real building AND a proper presence on the net? Try getting prices and ordering stuff from Irish shops online is just not an option.
    Yes WATHCHER2 .. they have a terrible online presence and believe me its not from lack of coaxing & cajoling from the web design / web people ( me included ) .. but to no avail. Alot of the local businesses will not go selling online via the following stupid excuse .. I dont want the other guy down the road to see my prices .. go figure.

Another reason is .. as I have found out .. alot of small retail do not want the discipline of splitting their stock between online sales and shop sales. Online YOU HAVE TO fullfill the order in the time you specify, if not - game over. The resistance is based on not having the discipline to keep the two stocks separate .. they want the "flexibility" to grab when they need.

The other reason is extra staff to look after the ecommerce site and fulfill the orders in a timely fashion. I have had businesses trying this half hearted, not wanting to hire anyone extra OR assign an existing staff member JUST to the online sales. All that was happening is when the floor gets busy the online guy is told to get his a** down here.

They are some of the reasons ...
    Last edited by robut; 26th April 2016 at 05:36 PM.

Yes WATHCHER2 .. they have a terrible online presence and believe me its not from lack of coaxing & cajoling from the web design / web people ( me included ) .. but to no avail. Alot of the local businesses will not go selling online via the following stupid excuse .. I dont want the other guy down the road to see my prices .. go figure.

Another reason is .. as I have found out .. alot of small retail do not want the discipline of splitting their stock between online sales and shop sales. Online YOU HAVE TO fullfill the order in the time you specify, if not - game over. The resistance is based on not having the discipline to keep the two stocks separate .. they want the "flexibility" to grab when they need.

The other reason is extra staff to look after the ecommerce site and fulfill the orders in a timely fashion. I have had businesses trying this half hearted, not wanting to hire anyone extra OR assign an existing staff member JUST to the online sales. All that was happening is when the floor gets busy the online guy is told to get his a** down here.

They are some of the reasons ...
    When it comes to running a business online it's all or nothing. If you are a small local business it's worth keeping an up to date site just to reassure people that you exist, what you do and where to find you, nothing else. Some will benefit from interacting on FB but there's no respite from it and FB is not a substitute for a proper site. If you are intent on running an online business do just that and forget the actual shop, unless as suggested, you can afford to pay someone to run either side of it full time. I know that web developers will call me all sorts of names but that's the way it is.

Retailers have to understand that Revenue processes that permit the transfer or free movement of goods within the EU changes significantly when you are dealing with for example a UK supplier and an UK MNC Head Office..... the vehicle that allows this movement and transfer pricing is the vat directive.......

So in very simple terms ( I stress it is more complicated) A Uk supplier who has no relationship to the MNC can ship goods into Ireland for the MNC exempt of vat ( absorbing freight and warehousing costs) and then go on to invoice the goods to the UK MNC Head Office ...... The MNC HO can then onward invoice the goods again exempt of vat to its individual out-lets in Ireland having secured a profit on the paper transaction.......

Serious questions arise as a result of this process

* What happens if the UK supplier has an Irish distributor or agent in place .... the Revenue process undermines that contract .... so here we have a position where the Irish Revenue are essentially assisting the UK exchequer to the harm of Irish businesses

* What happens if this supplier has the rights for product within the UK and Ireland and that supplier operates a trade price for Ireland that is considerably higher than domestic UK ?..... so now the process is assisting UK suppliers and UK MNC competing in the Irish marketplace with Irish business and is providing an unfair advantage to foreign business. The two trade price lists have created a higher end user price in Ireland and thus the onward invoicing of these goods by the MNC can carry a substantial charge and no Irish business can under cut .....these are processes that have no counter balance for Irish business built in even though the EU commission stated that member states had to introduce measures to stop unfair market advantage or abuse.......

Isn't it interesting that the Dail requested the Competition Authority to define why prices were one price in UK mainland and NI and another much higher price in the Republic....... it is my understanding though I am open to correction that matters pertaining to vat fall outside the remit of the Competition Authority....thus this process was not reviewed as a matter of course..... anyone know if the Revenue then went on to inform the Dail that their processes may have something to do with assisting this pricing difference?

Now what to discuss the right of the Irish business to a level playing field?

Even better want to discuss how this process has hindered the Irish consumer from securing fair and proper competitive pricing .similar to that of its UK EU citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    When it comes to running a business online it's all or nothing. If you are a small local business it's worth keeping an up to date site just to reassure people that you exist, what you do and where to find you, nothing else. Some will benefit from interacting on FB but there's no respite from it and FB is not a substitute for a proper site. If you are intent on running an online business do just that and forget the actual shop, unless as suggested, you can afford to pay someone to run either side of it full time. I know that web developers will call me all sorts of names but that's the way it is.
    The online side of my wife's business does well and is a real boon to the figures. Admittedly, it isn't a retail business, so the markup is huge; she can't very well undercut her brick-and-shelf outlets.

It's far more work, though, to pack and address many packages as opposed to making up a pallet and shink-wrapping the thing.

France, like the US, has always had a strong mail-order sector, so the culture of shopping online is only a step from that.

I was struck last year by an incident when we needed to replace our iron, which had been knocked over and broken.

We decided to go for a replacement at the higher end of the range - one which had a separate reservoir etc.

We went to a high-end store and got great advice in selecting the best one for our needs. I discovered a few weeks later that I could have saved €50 by buying it online. OK, the extra €50 also goes towards a far better after-sales service, but it struck me that I could have gone into the shop, availed of their expertise (and the salesperson was very helpful indeed) and then gone home and fired up the internet. That's not me, though. I'd prefer to shake hands with a Catalpast and do the deal. The thought of exploiting a shop owner's good faith (and, yes, I know, they're salesmen) still seems wrong to me.

Small traders need support.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Few black sheep shade a very dark light on a program which could be otherwise be considered useful.

The schema should improve, there's no question about that. But cease it? No, it's still a good program taking long term skilled unemployed off dole. The program has changed many lives, for better.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    The recession made a lot of people re-think their lives and become a lot more circumspect about spending. Minimalism, mindfulness and other kinds of non-material views are very common now.

They are not good for business.
    It takes time, but people will forget the bad times. Until recession hits again.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment