Register to Comment
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Yet when I'm out in the morning it's one 161 people carrier after another dropping the kids to school. It's a selective recovery. I suppose if you're a medical malpractice lawyer, you've never had it so good.
    There was an interesting discussion on Radio on the number of new cars sold in the recent past. Seemingly most of the car companies have finance deals that are proving hugely popular however they do leave a final sting in the tail at the end of the payment schedule which could prove problematic for some new purchasers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Thanks for your concern. I do believe there is a need for a retail bricks and mortar presence in towns otherwise they will little better than giant dormitories outside the main cities. The job opportunities is a big thing. Broadband is very poor and there is a lack of services due to population being too dispersed and an over reliance on the car. Until that changes and proper planning is brought to the fore I don't see it changing.
    I guess the horse has bolted in terms of large retail outlets on the edge of towns and I do believe internet shopping is only going to increase in popularity. I feel that Local Authorities/government policy should focus on encouraging people to live in towns and not just estates on the outskirts. Most rural towns seem to empty out at 6ish!

Twitter
    @

Down in the rural county areas there are a fair amount of 151 & 161 cars on the road and I would say it is because they have to have a decent car to drive the long trip to the city to work. You could be doing 80 miles a day return trip. It's a necessity but you have to pay it back to the credit union...hence less local spend.

Nigh on impossible to start or run a business on the street in a small town. You have money going out as soon as you open the door and without local spending (plenty footfall) your in trouble.

Sorry to hear Clanrickard is looking at the doom scenario...hopefully it will not come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Yet when I'm out in the morning it's one 161 people carrier after another dropping the kids to school. It's a selective recovery. I suppose if you're a medical malpractice lawyer, you've never had it so good.
    To follow up SeanieFitz on this - Just because you might see lots of 161's on the road is a bit misleading. Their is one big reason you are seeing this and its called PCP ( PERSONAL CONTRACT PLAN ).

YES - The Irish people are off again .. All they are worried about is how much the car will cost them monthly and only for the next few months. Worry about the other complcations of the PCP "deal" later on. Unfortunately this is building up to be a big car finance bubble already

More new cars but warning issued amid fear of car finance bubble | Irish Examiner

While the increase in sales has been broadly welcomed, car history experts Motorcheck.ie yesterday warned that, with one third of all cars sold on hire purchase style finance deals such as the popular personal contract plan (PCP), there is a fear that we could be creating a “car finance bubble” that cannot be sustained.
    Here is how PCP works:

Car finance: to PCP or not to PCP

A friend of mine is in a garage in midleton - car sales. He said 85% of people buying off him are going PCP ... be worried, another bubble. And this also applies to commercial vehicles ..

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Down in the rural county areas there are a fair amount of 151 & 161 cars on the road and I would say it is because they have to have a decent car to drive the long trip to the city to work. You could be doing 80 miles a day return trip. It's a necessity but you have to pay it back to the credit union...hence less local spend.

You are not hard up if you are driving a 161 car. A new car hemorrhages its resale value from the second you turn the key. If you 'needed' a brand new car for a long drive to the City, and you had that kind of money to blow on a car, you would simply by an apartment in said City and save yourself 80 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post

You are not hard up if you are driving a 161 car. A new car hemorrhages its resale value from the second you turn the key. If you 'needed' a brand new car for a long drive to the City, and you had that kind of money to blow on a car, you would simply by an apartment in said City and save yourself 80 miles a day.
    Its got nothing to do with affording the new car. In my opinion it is about BEING SEEN in a new car. The affordability aspect is kicked down the road for 3 years via these precarious PCP deals ( see my post explaining this above yours Roll_On ) that the garages offer now and make up most of the sales.

So yes - another business that seems to be doing well is the Garage Car Sale business but only via this precarious PCP / PERSONAL CONTRACT PLAN thing ..

Note I bolded the PERSONAL CONTRACT part .. Do people ever learn here .. NO

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post

See post by Robut which explains it very well, this is another clusterf$ ck waiting to happen

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    See post by Robut which explains it very well, this is another clusterf$ ck waiting to happen
    And SEANIEFITZ - When starting this PCP deal in most cases you need to pay a deposit - typically around €5000 to €7000 - I wonder where that money is coming from? A credit union loan perhaps? If so then you get a loan to pay for the deposit on another loan. Remind you of anything in our recent past??

Quote Originally Posted by publicrealm View Post
    My understanding is that the nature of retail has changed.

Footfall is no longer such a useful measure. Many stores are now just display areas for browsers who will then order online - this is bad for the small guys who don't have an online presence.

Rural town centres - even traditionally 'strong' towns such as Nenagh - have lots of closed/to-let shops in the main street - leading to lower footfall as people move to the out of centre retail parks, reinforcing the decline at the town centre.

It all in flux but not in a good way.
    Irish businesses have a terrible online presence. Apart from the large chains, browsing their websites is a complete waste of time. Why can' they have a real presence in a real building AND a proper presence on the net? Try getting prices and ordering stuff from Irish shops online is just not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    There was an interesting discussion on Radio on the number of new cars sold in the recent past. Seemingly most of the car companies have finance deals that are proving hugely popular however they do leave a final sting in the tail at the end of the payment schedule which could prove problematic for some new purchasers.
    The car sales people push the financing very hard because they get even more profit from the financing. They don't want cash anymore.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment