View Poll Results: How will Greece vote in the referendum on the proposed bailout?

Voters
278. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

    115 41.37%
  • No

    163 58.63%
Register to Comment
Page 514 of 1318 FirstFirst ... 144144645045125135145155165245646141014 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 13173
Like Tree10627Likes
  1. #5131
    sport02 sport02 is offline
    sport02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20,637

    Karl Whelan
    Late and off to bed. But people drawing analogies between Greek banks and Cyprus deposit haircuts are largely comparing apples and oranges.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #5132
    RobertW RobertW is offline
    RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22,107

    Quote Originally Posted by an innocent abroad View Post
    Owen Jones: The elites are determined to end the revolt against austerity in Greece



    It's not the financial greek contagion they are worried about, it's the Anti Austerity contagion they are more worried about.
    Good article

    When people talk of this being a political battle this is what they mean.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #5133
    wombat wombat is offline
    wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35,530

    Quote Originally Posted by Nudavongs View Post
    People really need to read this article.
    Its worth reading but like most articles on the subject, its good at identifying the problems and their causes but offers no sign of a possible solution.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #5134
    Nudavongs Nudavongs is offline
    Nudavongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,718

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Its worth reading but like most articles on the subject, its good at identifying the problems and their causes but offers no sign of a possible solution.
    It was interesting for me in that it explains how Greece is pretty much outside the eurozone already. What we need now is an acceptance of realities by all sides, a launch of the new drachma with the ECB providing assistance in stabilising it and the EU ensuring there's no humanitarian crisis while the situation normalises itself.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5135
    DaveM DaveM is offline
    DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,835

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b8b090ac-2...#axzz3euTK7H3y

    The FT post their colours to the mast today, listing the three scenarios they see potentially playing out.

    1. Yes, Tspiras goes, Dragsakis takes over and leads a grand coalition of willing Syrizans and the pro EU parties into accepting a deal. Can be done before July 20. If there aren't enough Syrizans then it goes to a General election which runs past July 20.

    2. Yes, Tspiras stays but he continues his approach (Making offers in the morning, call people blackmailers in the afternoon), no one trusts him and July 20 is missed.

    3. No and Grexit.

    Now....I love the FT. And I view the three above as the most likely scenarios. But surely you've got to talk about the fourth option (Which is the one the govt are actually aiming for) which is No and the EZ buckles to whatever the Greeks want.
    Buckle to what extent though? Then the question shifts to the Bundestag and what Merkel can sell back there. And let's face it, the Germans are still labouring under the misconception that there are entirely blameless for the EZ crisis so it is going to be one hell of a sell for Merkel. One which could cost her her political skin.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #5136
    Sync Sync is offline
    Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42,368

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Buckle to what extent though? Then the question shifts to the Bundestag and what Merkel can sell back there. And let's face it, the Germans are still labouring under the misconception that there are entirely blameless for the EZ crisis so it is going to be one hell of a sell for Merkel. One which could cost her her political skin.
    Right. But it's a possibility. The Ez buckles to some extent, which subsequently sees issues for the Irish, Spanish, Italian and German govts.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #5137
    Nudavongs Nudavongs is offline
    Nudavongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,718

    Greece is like an obese man who hears one morning that there's a marathon running in his town that afternoon. All his friends are running in it so he's determined to run too. He lines up on the starting line but after only a couple of hundred metres, he's collapsing. The medics are around him as is the crowd and some of his friends telling him to get up, he can do it etc.

    Of course, he can't. He needs to drop out of the marathon (euro), go on a diet, get fit and come back to run another marathon in maybe two years' time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #5138
    RobertW RobertW is offline
    RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22,107

    Quote Originally Posted by Nudavongs View Post
    Greece is like an obese man who hears one morning that there's a marathon running in his town that afternoon. All his friends are running in it so he's determined to run too. He lines up on the starting line but after only a couple of hundred metres, he's collapsing. The medics are around him as is the crowd and some of his friends telling him to get up, he can do it etc.

    Of course, he can't. He needs to drop out of the marathon (euro), go on a diet, get fit and come back to run another marathon in maybe two years' time.
    Wow. . Remarkable insight.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #5139
    johnnypockets johnnypockets is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,433

    Quote Originally Posted by Nudavongs View Post
    Greece is like an obese man who hears one morning that there's a marathon running in his town that afternoon. All his friends are running in it so he's determined to run too. He lines up on the starting line but after only a couple of hundred metres, he's collapsing. The medics are around him as is the crowd and some of his friends telling him to get up, he can do it etc.

    Of course, he can't. He needs to drop out of the marathon (euro), go on a diet, get fit and come back to run another marathon in maybe two years' time.
    Two years?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #5140
    Nudavongs Nudavongs is offline
    Nudavongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,718

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
    Two years?
    Depends on how obese he is......
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment