Register to Comment
Page 102 of 157 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1565
Like Tree368Likes
  1. #1011
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38,114

    Bitcoin has a history of collapses and surges but its still 58% higher than a month ago. Its too soon to admit defeat.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #1012
    gleeful gleeful is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,491

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Bitcoin has a history of collapses and surges but its still 58% higher than a month ago. Its too soon to admit defeat.
    Collapse and surge is all it does. It has no other function.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #1013
    Ruff says Flaherty Ruff says Flaherty is offline
    Ruff says Flaherty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,335

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Its 7950.88 now, compared to 9550 before the crash a few days ago.
    The crash?

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #1014
    jmcc jmcc is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    43,826

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Collapse and surge is all it does. It has no other function.
    You really don't have a clue about Bitcoin and its uses. What are you, an Irish Times reader?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #1015
    gerhard dengler gerhard dengler is offline
    gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44,839

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    The banks, in this case are the intermediaries. With a cryptocurrency, it is a person to person transaction.

    They have physicality but their value is that which you and others ascribe to them.

    How difficult is it to counterfeit a coin in a cryptocurrency?
    I think you make some great points. Whatever else we may say about the Irish Central Bank and the ECB, at the very least there is some measure of public accountability with the euro currency. Part of this accountability is due to the currency being tied to a sovereign state(s). If you look at the bank note in your wallet you will see a signature of Mario draghi on each note. Whether that signature is worth the note its depicted upon is debatable (and god knows there are many if us here who've catalogue the disaster that the euro has been).

    With crypto currencies there is no sovereign accountability. Nor is there sovereign legal basis underpinning, the operation of these currencies
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #1016
    jmcc jmcc is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    43,826

    Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    I think you make some great points. Whatever else we may say about the Irish Central Bank and the ECB, at the very least there is some measure of public accountability with the euro currency. Part of this accountability is due to the currency being tied to a sovereign state(s). If you look at the bank note in your wallet you will see a signature of Mario draghi on each note. Whether that signature is worth the note its depicted upon is debatable (and god knows there are many if us here who've catalogue the disaster that the euro has been).
    The difference between a cryptocurrency and a conventional one is that the transactions ledger is publically available and verifiable with a cryptocurrency. With a conventional currency, one really only has the word of the CBs and the bankers and they have, as a group, proven disinctly untrustworthy.

    With crypto currencies there is no sovereign accountability. Nor is there sovereign legal basis underpinning, the operation of these currencies
    This is what makes them quite dangerous to governments. There's no central bank as such and nobody really controlling it. What probably really upsets the banksters is that cryptocurrencies are probably better for the kind of illicit transactions that banksters used to do with drugs and other ventures.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #1017
    jmcc jmcc is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    43,826

    There's actually a good documentary on Netflix about Bitcoin.

    Banking on Bitcoin.
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80154500
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #1018
    gerhard dengler gerhard dengler is offline
    gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44,839

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    The difference between a cryptocurrency and a conventional one is that the transactions ledger is publically available and verifiable with a cryptocurrency. With a conventional currency, one really only has the word of the CBs and the bankers and they have, as a group, proven disinctly untrustworthy.

    This is what makes them quite dangerous to governments. There's no central bank as such and nobody really controlling it. What probably really upsets the banksters is that cryptocurrencies are probably better for the kind of illicit transactions that banksters used to do with drugs and other ventures.
    I take those points, but none of the crypto currencies are accountable to sovereign state (s).

    The established sovereign currencies at least have some measure of sovereign oversight by comparison. Although trying to do an inventory for gold held at Manhattan seemsto be always problematic.

    What about the real, unpublished, crypto ledgers?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #1019
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38,114

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    There's actually a good documentary on Netflix about Bitcoin.

    Banking on Bitcoin.
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80154500
    Saw that some weeks ago is good. But its also slightly out of date because it stops more or less at the collapse after NY introduced regulations that collapsed many Bitcoin traders around 2014-5. It doesnt cover the doubling of its value this year.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #1020
    Gin Soaked Gin Soaked is offline
    Gin Soaked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,056

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    How much money have you in your pocket? How much in your bank accounts? Do people hoard "real" currencies?

    What makes you think that it is not stable?
    The buying power of the euro is pretty stable. And for most people, the currency has a lot of velocity. I can rely on it on an annual basis. Banks will lend against it being valid decades later.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment