Register to Comment
Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

"It seems the vulnerable and those with all benefits will be those that never did a days work, Cradle to grave welfare. Tough luck on those who paid in cause their going to find out that all tax, prsi and any savings , mortgage paid off home is going to be a barrier to any benefits."

Exactly. So what's the point of working, paying tax, prsi etc. and paying for your own house and your children's education etc. and trying to save a little to keep your independence? You'll be classed as "the well off" and denied any benefits, and those that you supported with your taxes, who never did a days work, and live in houses that the state (you) provided will continue to lead a charmed life, and see Ireland for free in their old age!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

My 71 year old wife is presently coughing herself to death because of the state of her lungs after suffering the filthy atmospheres of industrial growth in the 1940s and 50s. Should I withhold her medication? Turn off the central heating, feed her less so the young whiners can complain by LAPTOP on the Internet!

Go and read a little of Charles Dickens compassionate works.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    My 71 year old wife is presently coughing herself to death because of the state of her lungs after suffering the filthy atmospheres of industrial growth in the 1940s and 50s. Should I withhold her medication? Turn off the central heating, feed her less so the young whiners can complain by LAPTOP on the Internet!

Should we withhold the cervical cancer vaccine for teenage girls so that wealthy pensioners can get free electricity, medical card, phone service?

Going down the emotional blackmail route isn't advisable imo.

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Should we withhold the cervical cancer vaccine for teenage girls so that wealthy pensioners can get free electricity, medical card, phone service?

Going down the emotional blackmail route isn't advisable imo.
    That's how your twisted perspective sees it? Oh deary me. Callousness is ugly in one so young. Yes like a previous poster pointed out let's divide and conquer! Whilst the real culprits behind our economic troubles dine in the Bahamas etc!

Maurice, I hope you live to be an energetic 100. With the way the country is going, your wonderful photos look like that will be all I will see of our beautiful country. I am at work at the moment, supporting my dependent students, (1 down, 2 current, 1 to go)so my provision for my future is minimal, and so I will retire to be at home minding my health and with no transport funds. That will be my rewared for a lifetime of working, tax paying, and independence from state benefits. Keep up the travelling, gardening, and photography.

Quote Originally Posted by sydney2007 View Post
    Maurice, I hope you live to be an energetic 100. With the way the country is going, your wonderful photos look like that will be all I will see of our beautiful country. I am at work at the moment, supporting my dependent students, (1 down, 2 current, 1 to go)so my provision for my future is minimal, and so I will retire to be at home minding my health and with no transport funds. That will be my rewared for a lifetime of working, tax paying, and independence from state benefits. Keep up the travelling, gardening, and photography.
    Thank you.

The future is another world and I feel it my bones this wonderful country will climb back up and you will have a great time Discoverong Ireland in happier times.

For a six year period in the past I had no holidays at all. Was too busy earning a measly living to notice.

That's how your twisted perspective sees it? Oh deary me. Callousness is ugly in one so young. Yes like a previous poster pointed out let's divide and conquer! Whilst the real culprits behind our economic troubles dine in the Bahamas etc!
    I find it gas how you will moan about 'divide and conquer' as if there is an option that if we all stick together, there would be no need for cuts anywhere.

There is a fixed amount of resources that needs to be divided up.
    At the moment, a significant chunk of those resources are borrowed every year, that cannot go one indefinitely.
    So we must tax more and spend less.

Now you can either accept this or keep your head buried in the sand.
    Tar and feathering the culprits in the Bahamas is fine by me, but won't change above.

Off topic I know, but best wishes to you and your good wife Maurice, keep the wonderful photos coming.

Quote Originally Posted by neveragain View Post
    Off topic I know, but best wishes to you and your good wife Maurice, keep the wonderful photos coming.
    Thanksamillion. Nice.

Unlike paulp who forgets we oldies lived through times as young people starved of resources and opportunities but never thought to rob the elderly, or blame them for economic woes.

But the VERY young just need to experience a little more life and with luck mature into compassionate citizens.

Thanksamillion. Nice.

Unlike paulp who forgets we oldies lived through times as young people starved of resources and opportunities but never thought to rob the elderly, or blame them for economic woes.
    Yes, Maurice, God help you, having to spend 6 years where you had to go without a holiday. How did you survive?
    I grew up in the 70s and 80s, where we had 2 holidays in a 15 year period.

Also, during that period, where you were one of the workers footing the bill, the state's support to pensioners, in real terms, was a fraction of what it is today.

In 1997, the pension stood at 99Euro. Today it's 230Euro.
    A whopping 132% increase paid for by the heartless young whiners that you incessantly whinge about.

But, keep your head in the sand and make lame attempts to tug at heart strings - while you enjoy your jolies around the country.
    We'll increase our pupil teacher ratios to pay for it.

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment