Register to Comment
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 251 to 260 of 260
Like Tree161Likes
  1. #251
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    I know of more than a few teachers who 'own' properties in sunnier climes than ours.

    Perhaps the former, and now deceased Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan (God rest his soul), did indeed have a point when he said that we all 'partied'.
    Was that when he was accosted by a teacher demanding to know how could she be expected to continue to afford her apartment in Croatia?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #252
    gatsbygirl20 gatsbygirl20 is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16,599

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Yam View Post
    Well there was a report in the paper over the w/e (cant remember where) that the group in society who proportionately borrowed more for second properties were............teachers.

    Maybe that explains why they went soahrd trying to get 30%?

    It was the Sindo.

    Jody Corcoran.

    He of: "Public servants are inherently dysfunctional people....When was the last time you saw a happy nurse, or a happy teacher..?....I feel that they do not exist...I believe that they are actually averse to the joy of living ""Public servants aren't cut out to be shiny happy people - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

    If Jody says it, it must be true...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #253
    Sensor Sensor is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    542

    Now they want use to dry up our pension savings.

    An example how stupid the agencies that determine policies in this country are. Now IBEC is proposing to let people to withdraw their AVCs so that it will be used to generate profits for their members. Crazy, crazy idea. Absolute greed.

    http://www.independent.ie/business/i...y-18bn-3217248.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #254
    Analyzer Analyzer is offline
    Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28,530

    It is a spending problem.

    The institutional state in Ireland has is too fond of largesse, waste, and nepotism.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #255
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    It was the Sindo.

    Jody Corcoran.

    He of: "Public servants are inherently dysfunctional people....When was the last time you saw a happy nurse, or a happy teacher..?....I feel that they do not exist...I believe that they are actually averse to the joy of living ""Public servants aren't cut out to be shiny happy people - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

    If Jody says it, it must be true...
    I hadnt spotted this, but it was reported elsewhere in less colourful language
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #256
    brughahaha brughahaha is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,574

    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Are you in favour of unions or not? Do you think all workers should be unionised? That contract / freelance workers should all be in a union?
    Or that there should be some attempt to limit freelance/contract work and put it on a more stable footing, because it is more difficult to offer such workers the protection offered more long term or stable workers?

    Or do you hate unions, and wish that they would fekk off and disappear ? Leaving all workers equally unprotected, but at least with equality of misery...

    Some strawman there ... we have gone from me pointing out Unions have been complicit in the removal of rights of a certain (growing) sector of the economy ... to you asking if I hate unions ..... thats some paranoid leap ....and for the record I don't

    But I do think , unions are more interested in trying to preserve the status quo for PS workers and access to cushy quango jobs than facing up to the very real problems in the private sector .... so your response and attitude ( see reference to ladder pulling) suprises me not one jot and reflects a certain mindset in my experience , very common in the PS

    Still , if the union movement is even prepared to sacrifice its young an the alter of the long established, maintaining all those allowances , i guess Im naive to expect anything approaching sympathy or activity for anything or anyone thats "Private sector"

    Now a question for you .... do you think its OK to spend hundreds of millions in allowances and increments to those on over 50,000 in the PS whilst carers allowances are cut ? because THAT is the choice as per the OP
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #257
    ChickenBiryani ChickenBiryani is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    686

    In all the debate provoked by my OP, I'm a little surprised that noone has commented on my suggestion that we can increase corporation tax somewhat. This has been a sacred cow in Ireland for some time.

    Its also hilarious to read the indo this morning.....about councillors getting promoted from Councils to the Dail.....and getting gratuities for vacating their council seats.

    Its my firm belief that this type of "ah shure its only taxpayers money" mentality pervades the Public Sector but its a shame in this day and age of computerisation that the data coming from our government is extremely hard to get in terms of figuring out how much the wastage is. I suspect its more than nothing but not as bad as my worst nightmare, but its hardly a basis on which to make any firm conclusions.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #258
    brughahaha brughahaha is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,574

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBiryani View Post
    In all the debate provoked by my OP, I'm a little surprised that noone has commented on my suggestion that we can increase corporation tax somewhat. This has been a sacred cow in Ireland for some time.
    I agree with you .... It could easily be raised to 14-15 %

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBiryani View Post
    Its also hilarious to read the indo this morning.....about councillors getting promoted from Councils to the Dail.....and getting gratuities for vacating their council seats.
    Hilarious wouldn't be my first description ...... infuriated nauseated and disgusted would be closer ..4 years and 2 Governments on , No change ( in fact we now have a Minister intent on slowing reform) in how the state lavishes money on itself

    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBiryani View Post
    Its my firm belief that this type of "ah shure its only taxpayers money" mentality pervades the Public Sector but its a shame in this day and age of computerisation that the data coming from our government is extremely hard to get in terms of figuring out how much the wastage is. I suspect its more than nothing but not as bad as my worst nightmare, but its hardly a basis on which to make any firm conclusions.
    According to Newstalk this morning - credit card style driving liscences have been delayed by discussions, Unions are kicking up because of the reduced workload their introduction would bring .......
    According to Saturdays Irish times ... Howlin is saying its too late to make any substantial savings on allowances in 2012,(what a suprise!!!!) however savings in the region of 5% could be made in 2013 .....so thats 5 years after the financial crisis they MAY manage savings of 5 %
    Financial crisis , what financial crisis???
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #259
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    I agree with you .... It could easily be raised to 14-15 %



    Hilarious wouldn't be my first description ...... infuriated nauseated and disgusted would be closer ..4 years and 2 Governments on , No change ( in fact we now have a Minister intent on slowing reform) in how the state lavishes money on itself



    According to Newstalk this morning - credit card style driving liscences have been delayed by discussions, Unions are kicking up because of the reduced workload their introduction would bring .......
    According to Saturdays Irish times ... Howlin is saying its too late to make any substantial savings on allowances in 2012,(what a suprise!!!!) however savings in the region of 5% could be made in 2013 .....so thats 5 years after the financial crisis they MAY manage savings of 5 %
    Financial crisis , what financial crisis???
    But as I said previously with an economic council consisting of 3 schoolteachers and a trade union official you can bet your bottom dollar that reform = what we have we hold.

    As for the Corporation Tax rate - yes it could go to 14 or 15% and I dont think it would make a huge difference (either in increased revenue or in inward investment). The big risk however is that the overseas companies, while they wouldnt worry about the 14% would wonder where it might end.

    After all they would be making investment decisions influenced by a government whose very clear policy is that public servants pay, pensions and pay rises take precedence over everything else. The ps have first call onmoney here and the rest can make do with whatever is left over.

    And that wont be good for investment.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #260
    Will Yam Will Yam is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,034

    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Are you in favour of unions or not? Do you think all workers should be unionised? That contract / freelance workers should all be in a union?
    Or that there should be some attempt to limit freelance/contract work and put it on a more stable footing, because it is more difficult to offer such workers the protection offered more long term or stable workers?

    Or do you hate unions, and wish that they would fekk off and disappear ? Leaving all workers equally unprotected, but at least with equality of misery...
    The question "are you in favour of unions or not" is downright silly. Its like asking "are you in favour of newspapers or not"

    And no I dont think all workers should be unionised. If they opt not to join that is their choice. Blaming employers/IBEC/INM/Uncle Tom Cobley and all doesnt wash. The reason the overwhelming majority of private sector employees have no truck with unions is because unions have utterly failed to convince them that they are worth joining.

    They are perceived as belonging to another era - england circa 1973. And those who hanker after that era and still behave as if we were in 1973 are the ones who join unions. And where do they work? We all know the anser to that.

    But you tell me - do you believe that every employee should have the right not tojoin a union? Thatthe effective closed shop in the ps is wrong?

    And why wont Jack and the rest of the beards not give reall free choice? Is it because Jack and the beards know better what is good for individuals than the individuals themselves?

    And dont tell me they have free choice in the ps. I can give you many examples of people forced to join up.

    But thats liberty - beards style.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment