Register to Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

More overpaid public servants - how hard is it to run Dun Laoghaire Harbour?

€20,000 pay rise for chief of port that lost €800,000 - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

Pretty hard apparently if Gerry Dunne's earnings of eur188k is to go buy. Meanwhile DLHC lost 800k. I know Dun Laoghaire Harbour, it is basically a leisure harbour with 1 HSS ferry a day (but not in winter). Revenues dropped 36% in 2011.

Somehow we need to cut the ridiculous salaries of overpaid pen pushers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    €20,000 pay rise for chief of port that lost €800,000 - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

Pretty hard apparently if Gerry Dunne's earnings of eur188k is to go buy. Meanwhile DLHC lost 800k. I know Dun Laoghaire Harbour, it is basically a leisure harbour with 1 HSS ferry a day (but not in winter). Revenues dropped 36% in 2011.

DLHC was set up to put Berties mates on the public payroll, no other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post

Please specify the actual workload and the required qualifications that the office entails. I'd like to know that before rushing to hang the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Please specify the actual workload and the required qualifications that the office entails. I'd like to know that before rushing to hang the guy.
    Des, hard for me to do without inside knowledge but knowing Dun laoghaire I can't see how it is a very taxing job. I'm sure someone could put together a spec that would make it sound like the toughest job on earth. Turnover was eur6.8m and it lost eur800k. Not very well run as far as I can see. 4 yacht clubs, a lot of leisure sailing and 1 HSS per day in the summer season. Laying off staff according to the article while he gets a pay rise!

Des even the most loyal of public servants should be questioning this one. It is not a question of right or wrong, it is simply that in a time when austerity is being force on all sections of society, why is someone who is overseeing a loss making venture being given a pay rise?

Why is anyone in his position being given a pay rise at all? I do not care about his qualifications or anything else, even if his work load has increased twice. I am private sector, self employed I find this totally abhorent. We all work hard, most of us have seen a massive rise in workloads as staff cannot be replaced, saving money is the objective in all businesses at the moment as well as trying to maintain as many staff as possible and still delivery a service that is profitable, timely, and completely services the needs of your customers.

Laying off staff under his control, and taking a pay rise, while making a loss......something stinks here.

Am I correct in saying that Stena are pulling out of DL in the near future,

Somebody told me that the reason was that the harbour charges were to high,

DLHC is a sham Quango should be shut down,

Iv seen cars in empty car park get clamped while the owners are enjoying an evening walk on the pier,

Why are they called Harbour Police when all they do is clamp cars,

DL has everything needed to make it a great town, ocean, pier, dart, 46a, nice mix of houses and shops, resturaunts and pubs,

But it is being eaten alive by the fckn council!

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    As far as I know, it was run by the Port & Docks board for 150 years until Bertie needed to fix his mates up

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Des even the most loyal of public servants should be questioning this one. It is not a question of right or wrong, it is simply that in a time when austerity is being force on all sections of society, why is someone who is overseeing a loss making venture being given a pay rise?

Why is anyone in his position being given a pay rise at all? I do not care about his qualifications or anything else, even if his work load has increased twice. I am private sector, self employed I find this totally abhorent. We all work hard, most of us have seen a massive rise in workloads as staff cannot be replaced, saving money is the objective in all businesses at the moment as well as trying to maintain as many staff as possible and still delivery a service that is profitable, timely, and completely services the needs of your customers.

Laying off staff under his control, and taking a pay rise, while making a loss......something stinks here.
    Err I'm just asking for facts. The sort of thing that I (in the private sector) ask for all the time.

It's a pretty straightforward request.

I ask these questions almost daily of my staff.

I'm entitled as a tax-payer to ask those questions, am I not?

Or am I simply obliged to condemn without any data?

I'm entitled as a tax-payer to ask those questions, am I not?
    Don't hold your breath waiting for finacial details from our numerous quangos

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Am I correct in saying that Stena are pulling out of DL in the near future,

Somebody told me that the reason was that the harbour charges were to high,

Iv seen cars in empty car park get clamped while the owners are enjoying an evening walk on the pier,

Why are they called Harbour Police when all they do is clamp cars,

DL has everything needed to make it a great town, ocean, pier, dart, 46a, nice mix of houses and shops, resturaunts and pubs,

But it is being eaten alive by the fckn council!
    I'd hate to think that any of this anecdotal stuff is true, but your last line is utterly true.DL is a fantastic resource. It has it all - as you say - and should be exploited fully.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment