Register to Comment
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    Reward people paying 50% taxes while working hard to have a family or, reware some who earns nothing but pops out a sprog every year. Ireland's future is what the UK is right now.

Whats a sprog? Would you like to be referred to as a sprog? Pops out? This is the language of Hitler. Your dirty tongue should be cut out.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Such a weird proposal. Is this for real ?
    Is labour 'throwing down the gauntlet' to ordinary people or just the wealthy , who are unlikely to pay attention to labour 'directives' anyway?
    Bizarre stuff.

Seems this may have been a non-story in the first place. Possible cock-up by the IT

"SOCIAL Protection Minister Joan Burton last night rubbished reports that said she was setting up a formal scheme to allow wealthy parents hand back the €140 child benefit payment.
    Ms Burton dismissed claims that she had asked government officials to to set up a mechanism to allow wealthy parents to refuse the payment or to return it to the Exchequer."

Indo

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    With almost 115,000 people earning more than €100,000 in Ireland Joan Burton for a change had a good idea to disposses the wealthy of their child benefits. Why do these €100k+ people receive child benefits in the first place? A good idea to support suffering families gone wrong I guess.

Carl O'Brien reports that child benefit payments of €140 are paid to some 600,000 families in the republic every month at the cost of about €2 billion a year for the 1,190,476 children in the state.
    Let me reach for my puke bag.
    Wealthy parents may hand back this largesse from the state?

Wealthy parents should not be receiving this largesse from the state in the first place.

What has gone astray that even the most junior civil servant can not place a cap on the salary levels at which childrens allowences are set?

Bureaucratic incompetence and political tardiness on the part of the Labour party who are sucking up to what they perceive as the Irish middle class are at the root of this problem.

---

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    I can hear the stampede already as thousands of middle and high income families rush to hand back their child benefit so the government can continue to keep high paid public servants in employment and Ruairi Quinn can sleep well at night knowing that there's enough cash to fund his expenses as he heads to the holiday home.

What a stupid idea.
    And sadly that's exactly the conundrum facing Irish tax payers – we’re not paying tax to get better services or quality of life for ourselves and across our community, we’re paying tax to pay off the likes of Sean Quinn’s gambling debt and to keep some of the best paid public “servants” in the world in the lifestyle to which they’ve made themselves accustomed.
    I, like many others, pay tax at the full rate, pay VAT, VRT, Road Tax, stamp duty, the house hold charge, etc., and getting children’s’ allowance is one of the few benefits I get back from the state. The notion that I, and many others, should pay high tax, but forego the universal benefits so that people who pay less tax/no tax can avail of them makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Let me reach for my puke bag.
    Wealthy parents may hand back this largesse from the state?

Wealthy parents should not be receiving this largesse from the state in the first place.

What has gone astray that even the most junior civil servant can not place a cap on the salary levels at which childrens allowences are set?

Bureaucratic incompetence and political tardiness on the part of the Labour party who are sucking up to what they perceive as the Irish middle class are at the root of this problem.

---
    "Largesse from the state"...where do you think they're getting the money from in the first place? The notion that somehow the government are "giving" free money to "wealthy" parents is ridiculous, basically they're just taking a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat

"Largesse from the state"...where do you think they're getting the money from in the first place? The notion that somehow the government are "giving" free money to "wealthy" parents is ridiculous, basically they're just taking a little less.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel

Did he? I've only ever heard him say he shouldn't get it.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/uncatego...e-to-have-sex/

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-2941134.html

I may be mistaken but, in the links above and others available, I got the impression that he / his wife receive it for their four children. I suppose he could be implying, that should they wish to, they could receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    Whats a sprog? Would you like to be referred to as a sprog? Pops out? This is the language of Hitler. Your dirty tongue should be cut out.
    Sprog is the language of hitler? Sweet jebus. Overreact much?

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123

Sprog is the language of hitler? Sweet jebus. Overreact much?
    True, as a parent however, I may be over sensitive, but I detest that word.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment