Register to Comment
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    Very well said.
    I see full pubs most evenings with people having plenty of dosh.
    I see the bookies thriving in town- is it all coming from these 100 euros per month ?
    I see plenty of new cars and people go on holidays as usual.
    A lot of folks have money- no question.

No doubt- the unemployed and people on the minimum wage are really f ucked....
    But do not tell me half of the country lives like that !
    Only the Real Olli Rehn could be excused a post like that because he doesn't live here.

I see pubs closing down and many in what were and still appear to be fairly prosperous areas cutting back to bar only during the week and family only for staff, basically anything to cut overheads to try to stay in business.

I see bookies closing and the ones still open operating with minimum staff (remember Celtic bookmakers?)

I see a lot of potential NCT failures on our roads, very very few 2010, 2011, 2012 registrations.

Some people have money and Thank God for them or we all would be rightly in queer street.

Yes the unemployed, under-employed and minimum wage earners are f ucked there are lot of us.

Approximately 450,000 officially unemployed, how many on disability, old age pensions, slave labour schemes, why do you think the country is running such high defecits?

I wish you were the real Ollie Rehn living here, many of the adults who should be earning have children and other dependents which means that out of our 4 million (something) population at least 50% of them could easily be living well below the official poverty lines.

Yes Enda & Co. are responsible for failing to make that case to our E.U. paymasters, time to start using our E.U. veto until they are listened to.

Good Europeans my ar#e the majority are too busy trying to survive to complain loud enough.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Two things jumped out at me in this article

That needs to be nipped in bud immediately. Credit cards should be cleared every month and if going over limit then a scissors should be applied and manage without. They are a disaster of a thing if you don't have discipline. Banks should be precluded from giving them out and should revise downward the credit limit of those struggling while making arrangements to help them make payments.

My view that children's allowance should be scrapped and free child care be given for all. It would create employment and ensure the money went to the kid and not a centra special offer. If child is in school all books and uniforms are covered.
    Some of us were using the dreaded plastic to meet day to day bills since late 2006 / early 2007 because we were not told the true situation in this country by those who continued the dream instead of waking up to the reality.

The opposition are equally responsible for this mess because they were too hungry for power instead of being an effective opposition and doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Yam View Post
    There is no doubt that there are paralell universes at work here. Having taken the long suffering Mrs Yam out for a meal last Saturday - short notice, no booking - I was amazed at the number of restuarants that were full solid- "sorry come back at 10 etc etc). And this not for the first time. (And I guess many pubs are empty).

And the relative pain point is interesting. I have to deal with a lot of people whose income has changed. 2 contrasting examples last week - one person whose income was cut by over 50% - down to 65,000. Very angry. Another individual whose pay went from 41,000 to 42,000 - over the moon. All depends where your coming from.
    Did you happen to notice the number of restaurants that were no longer in business?

Did you notice how many that were open had customers benefiting from special deals?

Be thankful there are still some including yourself who can afford to go out they are supporting jobs as most of what they spend stays in the Irish economy, now if we could figure out how to remove the Governments take from the evening out we might have more jobs because even more money would be properly in circulation, Up The Black Economy!

Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post
    Where did I say that? All I've asked you to do is prove your post. Maybe there's a massive problem and you are in position to prove it, at the moment you've failed to do that.

You said 'many' of the citizens with less than €100 disposable income at the end of the month have are in that position because they buy Scrumpy Jack and cigarettes and go to the bookies. You want food and clothes stamps to cut out this abuse. Yet you can't prove how many engage in this behavior. Your 'proof' seems to be some people you've seen outside a school and 'everybody knows someone'.

Like I said at the beginning, you've no facts or figures, just a big brush to tar the working poor, underemployed and unemployed with conjecture and weak anecdotes as proof of your position.

Are 'many' of the 400k newly unemployed all in the bookies? Are 'many' of the citizens on a short week all out of their faces on a never ending Scrumpy Jack binge? Are 'many' of the citizens on minimum wage smoking 80 a day?

You can't even quantify what you mean by 'many', what % is that? Many implies a sizable % of the 50% of of the population that don't have €100 disposable income at the end of the month engage in this behaviour.

You've zero facts and zero figures, I said that would be the case at the start and have been proven true.
    Apologies.

You are so right. I have no hard evidence and have only seen this behaviour from three instances I can recall.
    I have no evidence that this behaviour is repeated elsewhere up and down the country.

I have no evidence that any financially hard pressed parents put buying Scrumpy Jack, Cigarettes or placing Bets above the needs of their children.

Without the full statistical analysis to back up my observation I should never have made a post on a discussion forum.

Without statistics to the contrary it must be assumed that no child in Ireland goes without because of the indulgent vices of skanger parents. The status quo must be maintained.

Improvements to the system aimed at ensuring Children's Allowance and social welfare payments are spent on children and welfare instead of alcohol, tobacco and betting should not be considered as statistics are impossible to establish.

Bravo Niall78 you are the downtroddens people's cash payment champion and win an Umbro jersey.
    Last edited by Daniel Plainview; 10th July 2012 at 09:02 AM.

I must confess I treat most of these surveys with a pinch of salt. They are not scientific and they are usually carried out by vested interests. What do they mean by "disposable" income? After all bills or essential bills? After savings?

Another thread is discussing the 85% of employers have increased employment recently. This is patently untrue as if it were we would see a fall in unemployment

This one too does not really stand up to scrutiny. Facts are 85% of people are still in work, the vast majority of these incomes have not seen a significant fall and in many cases are rising. OAPs have been very little hit so far. When I go out on a Friday night for a meal the restaurants are busy, Phoenix Park was packed for concerts and large numbers of Irish fans made their way to the Euros. The evidence is not there.

Many of these "studies" are used to get free publicity for a product/service. I see in the article

"To help customers in debt, the Credit Union has launched Fix Your Finances | fixyourfinances.ie, the smart phone budgeting tool MYBUDGETBUDDY, and has tips and a budget planner to download on www.creditunion.ie/whatweoffer."

Let's see what the CSO Household Budget Survey says which is a far more comprehensive assessment of consumer spending.

There are a lot of people here who do not want to know what you just wrote.
    For them EVERYBODY is down in the sh it and we are all fu cked. Everything is doom and gloom, Kenny/Merkel/The Euro/Banks/Rehn are the cause of it.
    This so called research by the CU is another example. Used as proof for the misery of "at least" 50 percent of the population.
    The paper has absolutely no scientific value, but is greedily snatched up by people to bolster their case.
    The CU gets a lot of publicity for free- and that is one of the reasons why they published it.

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    There are a lot of people here who do not want to know what you just wrote.
    For them EVERYBODY is down in the sh it and we are all fu cked. Everything is doom and gloom, Kenny/Merkel/The Euro/Banks/Rehn are the cause of it.
    This so called research by the CU is another example. Used as proof for the misery of "at least" 50 percent of the population.
    The paper has absolutely no scientific value, but is greedily snatched up by people to bolster their case.
    The CU gets a lot of publicity for free- and that is one of the reasons why they published it.
    do you get called a hypocrite much ? , you are the exact opposite to the people you are slating , both sides are probably removed from reality , you much more defiantly so , spinning and trying to talk up an economy is not working or wont work its high time blue shirt propagandists such as yourself , hiding behind a clown , hammer etc realised that

100 euro a month? After they pay off the loans for their rocket car and solid gold house presumably?

Its seems to be the great social divide hedgehog.

Some people are absolutely, 100% suffering.

It was said to me about 3/4 years ago that the people that will survive this depression are the ones that can hold on to their employment.

We really need to STOP the full time gloom and concentrate on coming up with any ideas that will help create or maintain employment.

Things WILL get worse before they get better. We are still overspending by €16 billion per annum.

(BTW you are one of Quinners biggest supporters and he owes indirectly the exchequer some €3 billion and the rest of us need to pay extra insurance levy to the tune of €750m )

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Plainview View Post
    Apologies.

You are so right. I have no hard evidence and have only seen this behaviour from three instances I can recall.
    I have no evidence that this behaviour is repeated elsewhere up and down the country.

I have no evidence that any financially hard pressed parents put buying Scrumpy Jack, Cigarettes or placing Bets above the needs of their children.

Without the full statistical analysis to back up my observation I should never have made a post on a discussion forum.

Without statistics to the contrary it must be assumed that no child in Ireland goes without because of the indulgent vices of skanger parents. The status quo must be maintained.

Improvements to the system aimed at ensuring Children's Allowance and social welfare payments are spent on children and welfare instead of alcohol, tobacco and betting should not be considered as statistics are impossible to establish.

Bravo Niall78 you are the downtroddens people's cash payment champion and win an Umbro jersey.
    At least you admitted in the end that your original post stating 'many' of the citizens with less than 100 disposable income at the end of the month are drinking Scrumpy Jack, smoking cigarettes and betting has no basis in fact.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment