Register to Comment
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127
Like Tree49Likes
  1. #21
    blindjustice blindjustice is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,091

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    It's not all bean counting and free market guff. Socially this has merit and it's what a civilised society does. TBH it doesn't look like you've really thought through the consequences beyond suggesting that they should be kicked out.

    What ************************e. If Ballsy Canny Mc Savvy & family bought a mansion in Foxrock or on Howth Island and can no longer afford the mortgage then society should step in the plug the gap and allow them to stay because you think it is the civilised thing to do.

    Paddy & Patricia & family who were sensible and rented during the boom lose their jobs and can no longer afford their place they can burn in hell for all society cares.


    You horrible hypocrite
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    ShoutingIsLeadership ShoutingIsLeadership is online now
    ShoutingIsLeadership's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27,165

    Quote Originally Posted by hedzog View Post
    funny how 60% of Germans (you know those funny little people keeping our atms working ) manage to rent and call it home , patrick has a whole lot of learning to do , and one of those things is that property ownership is not always logical or indeed necessary, you would have thought that after 4 years of ruin he might be cottoning on to that , but it appears not
    Did you even read my post?

    I asked where is says people get to keep their homes. It is clear that they don't get to keep their homes.

    Implicit in what I said was that they would be better off renting elsewhere then in the home they are currently living in.

    You would have thought that after 3,855 posts you would have been cottoning on to the fact that it's usually a good idead to read what people say.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    hedzog hedzog is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,287

    Quote Originally Posted by blindjustice View Post
    Renters get kicked out on their ear if they dont pay why shouldnt these people
    exactly , which is why the property market in this country is still totally imbalanced , i went to a few allsorp viewings recently for the auction on july 7 and they were crowded , people will buy at the right price , people still have money , but the banks , government are stalling it , this is just another example of it
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    ShoutingIsLeadership ShoutingIsLeadership is online now
    ShoutingIsLeadership's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27,165

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    There's always council housing as an option. Home is a state of mind IMO and many Europeans happily rent for life. We're just hung up on ownership.
    I never suggested otherwise. I asked where it said these people get to keep their homes.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    blindjustice blindjustice is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,091

    Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post
    There is the slight glitch of the banks which enjoy a total state guarantee. My understanding is that if there is a fire sale, they will be in danger of collapse, and peoples' deposits will be wiped out. I hope I've got that wrong, because I want a fire sale.
    The banks were recapitalised to prop them up. In the event of them lacking the money to keep going we can:
    Let them fail
    Recapitalise them
    or plug the gap via sectarian schemes like this
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Victor Meldrew Victor Meldrew is online now
    Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,243

    Quote Originally Posted by blindjustice View Post
    Don`t pay your mortgage and the government gave you two years protection from eviction. That is two years rent free. Renters cant do that. The government interfered in the market to favour a select portion of the population.

    Now this - you get to keep the house. We all should have bought mansions. There was no risk
    The simplest thing to do would be to make all mortgages non-recourse. This would mean people would be able to have either write downs or walk aways.

    Another option would be a blanket write down of 30% (say) on mortgages,

    Instead the Government are using the economics of housing to prop up the zombie banks.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    hedzog hedzog is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,287

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Did you even read my post?

    I asked where is says people get to keep their homes. It is clear that they don't get to keep their homes.

    Implicit in what I said was that they would be better off renting elsewhere then in the home they are currently living in.

    You would have thought that after 3,855 posts you would have been cottoning on to the fact that it's usually a good idead to read what people say.
    why would they be better off renting elsewhere ? .
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    ShoutingIsLeadership ShoutingIsLeadership is online now
    ShoutingIsLeadership's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27,165

    Quote Originally Posted by blindjustice View Post
    What ************************e. If Ballsy Canny Mc Savvy & family bought a mansion in Foxrock or on Howth Island and can no longer afford the mortgage then society should step in the plug the gap and allow them to stay because you think it is the civilised thing to do.

    Paddy & Patricia & family who were sensible and rented during the boom lose their jobs and can no longer afford their place they can burn in hell for all society cares.


    You horrible hypocrite
    The article says the following:

    The scheme will be aimed at those who have no realistic possibility of being able to make full repayments on their mortgages.

    A housing association will buy the homes from people unable to afford their mortgage and the occupants will be able to remain as tenants, paying an affordable rent.
    Please point out where society will step in and plug the gap, as you have put it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    sic transit sic transit is offline
    sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,710

    Quote Originally Posted by blindjustice View Post
    What ************************e. If Ballsy Canny Mc Savvy & family bought a mansion in Foxrock or on Howth Island and can no longer afford the mortgage then society should step in the plug the gap and allow them to stay because you think it is the civilised thing to do.

    Paddy & Patricia & family who were sensible and rented during the boom lose their jobs and can no longer afford their place they can burn in hell for all society cares.


    You horrible hypocrite
    Now deep breath, step way from the keyboard, and read the silly nonsense you've just written. Given that you have no idea who any of these people are you might be better to avoid making up cringeworthy McWilliamsesque sobriquets. But I bet it is good to get it all out.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    Dan_Murphy Dan_Murphy is offline
    Dan_Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,507

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    3,500 families out on the street or on a housing list is good? I agree on Govt interference but desperate times need desperate measures.
    But the houses they are in now won't just disappear. If there is 3,500 households evicted then there will be 3,500 extra houses available to rent.

    Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post
    There is the slight glitch of the banks which enjoy a total state guarantee. My understanding is that if there is a fire sale, they will be in danger of collapse, and peoples' deposits will be wiped out. I hope I've got that wrong, because I want a fire sale.
    They'd almost certainly collapse, its a mess either way isn't it?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment