Register to Comment
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    And you are.....?
    Oh, an anonymous internet forum poster called myksav who has looked at the Tol piece and found it wanting in accuracies. Why? And who would you be?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    Yes. He's spending 20% of his disposable income on transport.

Though it costs John as much to go to interviews for work, etc.
    Rubbish.

What's the problem with accepting that there is a cost incurred with working?

Discussion of the relative costs of working/not working should include the fact that the unemployed have higher heating costs as they are at home most of the time whereas the working couple do not need to heat their home 5 days a week in the day. Given our climate, we need our heating not just in the winter months. I have my heating on this evening (in 'flaming' June) as it is damp and miserable and I also need to get washing dry.

More social housing so we don't have to pay rent allowance to private landlords and people will be able to afford to go back to work. Tax credits for childcare will also enable people to go back to work.
    Of course there have to be jobs there - otherwise it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by inthemire View Post
    However, John doesn't get 50 euro a week on unemployment, he gets 188.00 per week, like most people who are unemployed.
    If he has a partner/spouse he gets another 110 per week
    If he has a child he gets 29.80 per child per week
    If he has rent allowance he gets whatever the rent allowance for that area is, dependign on where he lives ie anything from 50 to 300 euro per week

He also gets the medical card for himself and his partner/spouse and children. I'm not sure what this equates to per annum, but it also covers the cost of medicines for himself, his partner/spouse and their children.

He is not liable for the housing property tax
    Nor is he liable for bin charges

As he is unemployed he can also go to the Community Welfare officer and get back to school payments for any and each child, footwear allowances, communion (if christian) payments for clothes, clothes for funerals, payments for broken appliances (fridges, freezers, dishwashers etc) at the discretion of the Community Welfare officer of course.

Like employed people, John can also get childrens allowance.

However, employed people can........................eh..................... well.............????
    Underlined. A medical card only has value of a financial character when one is sick. Otherwise, it's a piece of plastic to the holder. It is an income source to a doctor somewhere, though.

Bold. Not correct. Unemployed are not exempt from the household charge if they own a house. Nor are OAP's or the disabled (unless forced to not live in their house due to that disability).

Bin charges are mostly private sector services now.

You can also access a Community Officer if you are working. There are means thresholds that apply though.

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Rubbish.

o.O! You opened the can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Rubbish.

What's the problem with accepting that there is a cost incurred with being unemployed?

As for transport costs, use less expensive transport.

As for Tol's papers claim, any time I've been unemployed, I sure as hell was not better off than when working.

[
    QUOTE=myksav;5449821]Underlined. A medical card only has value of a financial character when one is sick. Otherwise, it's a piece of plastic to the holder. It is an income source to a doctor somewhere, though.

I posted this before, my cousin has a medical card, after weekly visits to the doctor, his advice " stop reading take a break and other weekly magazines" with all the true life stories, she can't be the only one going to the doctor with symptoms that she read up on, she wouldn't go if she had to pay 50/60 euro.

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    Underlined. A medical card only has value of a financial character when one is sick. Otherwise, it's a piece of plastic to the holder. It is an income source to a doctor somewhere, though.

Bold. Not correct. Unemployed are not exempt from the household charge if they own a house. Nor are OAP's or the disabled (unless forced to not live in their house due to that disability).

Bin charges are mostly private sector services now.

You can also access a Community Officer if you are working. There are means thresholds that apply though.
    Just wanted to correct the last sentence. If you are working full time you cannot get help off the CWO. If you are a student you cannot get help off the CWO. The only time they can help is what is called an urgent needs payment ie say you had a fire in your house . But you are not entitled to anything else or any regular payment.

I was listening to some tiresome individual on the radio the other day whining about how good those on SW have it and how the tax payer is subsiding the good life for such wasters. He said his wife "who has a very good job" might as well not be working at all,such were the amount of expenses she incurs through having to work. According to him,when the cost of childcare and transport were taken into account,his wife was effectively working for nothing.
    What confuses me is why this woman continues to work for "nothing". Why not give up the job,stay at home and do her own child minding.There's also the added bonus that she would avoid the stress of commuting every day.
    My son,after four years in college,graduated two years ago.Since then he has been claiming his €180 every week courtesy of the venerable and much abused tax payer. I know he would be deliriously happy if he could secure "a very good job". I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of people like him in the country who would also jump at the chance of "a very good job".

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment