View Poll Results: Would Ireland be better off in Sterling than the Euro?

Voters
271. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

146 53.87%
  • No

125 46.13%
Register to Comment
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Mc Willams thinks we should join Sterling

David McWilliams Rome Rule V London Rule

That will be our choice – London or Rome.For the EU, a new softer euro would be a great move for the integrationists. It allows them to snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat. It would allow the weaker countries to devalue against the stronger ones, thus going some way to rectifying the competitive imbalances at the core of Europe. It would allow countries like Poland, the Baltics and Croatia – as well as further east in the Balkans – to join the weaker euro and give them time to adjust to the rigours of Italy, not Germany.

So ‘project Europe’ goes on. The defeat allows a more democratic solution for the rest of non-eurozone Europe and it gives a united Europe more impetus just at a time when the project was stalling.
    For Ireland, the ludicrous choice would be to put Rome ahead of London. But stranger things have happened.

The key is to look beyond the immediate crisis and see it as being the result of bad planning, rather than the cause of something new. The result of this bad planning is that we go back to proper foundations based on economic and financial ties. We will be given the choice of Rome or London, I know where I would prefer to be.

this looks like a very wise move
    for trade, for stabillity, for common sense and for a united Ireland
    personally I hope it happens
    the Brits are no longer our enemy, we have a new one, who could not care if the people of Ireland suffer economic hardship for 100 years as long as they are ok.

Mc Williams on BBC this morning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9727284.stm

Economist David McWilliams said that "the pattern is very simple" for the future of the Eurozone.

"The evidence from the last four years is that Italy will be next," he said.
    Last edited by kkkkkkkkkk; 11th June 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by kkkkkkkkkk View Post
    David McWilliams Rome Rule V London Rule

That will be our choice – London or Rome.For the EU, a new softer euro would be a great move for the integrationists. It allows them to snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat. It would allow the weaker countries to devalue against the stronger ones, thus going some way to rectifying the competitive imbalances at the core of Europe. It would allow countries like Poland, the Baltics and Croatia – as well as further east in the Balkans – to join the weaker euro and give them time to adjust to the rigours of Italy, not Germany.

So ‘project Europe’ goes on. The defeat allows a more democratic solution for the rest of non-eurozone Europe and it gives a united Europe more impetus just at a time when the project was stalling.
    For Ireland, the ludicrous choice would be to put Rome ahead of London. But stranger things have happened.

The key is to look beyond the immediate crisis and see it as being the result of bad planning, rather than the cause of something new. The result of this bad planning is that we go back to proper foundations based on economic and financial ties. We will be given the choice of Rome or London, I know where I would prefer to be.

this looks like a very wise move
    for trade, for stabillity, for common sense and for a united Ireland
    personally I hope it happens
    the Brits are no longer our enemy, we have a new one, who could not care if the people of Ireland suffer economic hardship for 100 years as long as they are ok.
    who could not care if the people of Ireland suffer economic hardship for 100 years as long as they are ok.

this would be OUR elites and politicians would it ?, the enemy within is always more dangerous than any perceived or real external one

I should be a paid economist. I've been saying this for years.

You don't need to join the United Kingdom, you just need to have some sort of federation with them and adopt the Pound. Ireland naturally closer to the UK culturally anyway, and the UK needs a prosperous Ireland to sell stuff too. Mutually beneficial for us both.

I cant see the point of it, exchanging one Fiat currency for another doesnt really sound like progress. The only benefit I could see is Ireland not having access to a central bank to print up funny money on its account also it might force the government to balance the budget as the government could only borrow if people were dumb enough to lend it money

Forever with this obsession for fixed exchange rates.

Float the thing. It is the only sensible economic choice.

I admire what the foppy one tries to do, but his thinking does suffer in some areas due to cultural influences.

That is also why your poll makes no sense.

Why don't we re-introduce the Punt?

What's this obsession with Sterling?

I've been saying this for over a year.

Of maybe we could finally come to the conclusion that currencies have no intrinsic value and that for as long as we spend more than we earn we're fukked regardless of what colour paper we have in out pockets?

it doesnt matter what money you have, you cant spend more than you take in, FACT

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    Of maybe we could finally come to the conclusion that currencies have no intrinsic value and that for as long as we spend more than we earn we're fukked regardless of what colour paper we have in out pockets?
    Currency:

A unit of account
    A means of exchange
    A store of value.

An exchange rate = the price of one currency relative to another.

That is it.

Reintroduce the Punt and float the f_ucking thing.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment