Register to Comment
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Quote Originally Posted by DownTheyGo View Post
    With almost half million people unemployed in this country, I have to raise at least one curious eyebrow over the authenticity of such claims !!!
    As there is actually 300,000 unemployed we will have to raise at least one eyebrow back at you.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    As there is actually 300,000 unemployed we will have to raise at least one eyebrow back at you.
    Please explain, as the figure I read recently was closer to 468,000 approx.

The 11 types of depravation are (percentage of those at risk of poverty reporting this for 2010):

Without heating at some stage in the last year (17.9%)
    Unable to afford a morning, afternoon or evening out in the last fortnight (32.0%)
    Unable to afford two pairs of strong shoes (5.5%)
    Unable to afford a roast once a week (10.0%)
    Unable to afford a meal with meat, chicken or fish every second day (5.8%)
    Unable to afford new (not second-hand) clothes (13.9%)
    Unable to afford a warm waterproof coat (4.6%)
    Unable to afford to keep the home adequately warm (12.2%)
    Unable to afford to replace any worn out furniture (30.3%)
    Unable to afford to have family or friends for a drink or meal once a month (28.0%)
    Unable to afford to buy presents for family or friends at least once a year (7.1%)
    What a crock. The shoes and coat are valid, the rest are nonsense. Without knowing what the spend their income on to render them unable to 'afford a roast' it is worthless. What's the expenditure on alcohol, cigarettes, tv, the bookies, consumer electronics etc..? Without knowing that it is impossible to determine who is really genuinely in poverty and who is not.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    DEBT write off. If I can write off some or all of my mortgage debt
    Good luck with that .

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    What a crock. The shoes and coat are valid, the rest are nonsense. Without knowing what the spend their income on to render them unable to 'afford a roast' it is worthless. What's the expenditure on alcohol, cigarettes, tv, the bookies, consumer electronics etc..? Without knowing that it is impossible to determine who is really genuinely in poverty and who is not.
    You might deem them to be a crock. However they are the "Eleven Deprivation Indicators" used for measuring poverty.

Combat Poverty - Measuring Poverty

The CSO's Survey of Income and Living Conditions has got some attention, particularly for its insights on inequality. However, there are some under useful figures in it. One is that in 2010 average household disposable income in Ireland was €43,333. Granted this is down 12% on the €49,043 that was recorded in 2008 (though the 5.4% decrease in the CPI over the two years will have ameliorated some of the drop). The 2010 figure is pretty much in line with what it was in 2006.

This is a weekly disposable of €830 a week. Plenty of scope for at least some households to go an a holiday on that!

There is undoubtedly a huge number of households in serious difficulty. The numbers "at risk of poverty" are around 720,000. For a family of two adults and two children the threshold is a disposable income of €25,127 or €483 a week. I appreciate the difficulties that those below this threshold are enduring and how quickly this money will be consumed by basic necessities but there are 3,850,000 people above the threshold.

Of the 15.8% of the population who are at risk of poverty, 39.4% of these experienced two or more types of enforced deprivation. There is 6.2% of the population, or 275,000, who are at risk of poverty and experiences two or more types of depravation. The are 4,300,000 people not in this category and 61.6% of those at risk of poverty did not report two or more types of depravation.

The 11 types of depravation are (percentage of those at risk of poverty reporting this for 2010):

Without heating at some stage in the last year (17.9%)
    Unable to afford a morning, afternoon or evening out in the last fortnight (32.0%)
    Unable to afford two pairs of strong shoes (5.5%)
    Unable to afford a roast once a week (10.0%)
    Unable to afford a meal with meat, chicken or fish every second day (5.8%)
    Unable to afford new (not second-hand) clothes (13.9%)
    Unable to afford a warm waterproof coat (4.6%)
    Unable to afford to keep the home adequately warm (12.2%)
    Unable to afford to replace any worn out furniture (30.3%)
    Unable to afford to have family or friends for a drink or meal once a month (28.0%)
    Unable to afford to buy presents for family or friends at least once a year (7.1%)

There is still a requirement for huge progress to be made in this area, and the figures show that we are going in the wrong direction but this remains an economy in which most people are reasonably well off by domestic standards and hugely so by global standards.
    So 17.9% were without heating at some stage in the last year, while 12.2% were unable to afford to keep the home adequately warm. I guess the rest were without heating in the summer.

This means that 82.1% of people had the heating on all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by DownTheyGo View Post
    Please explain, as the figure I read recently was closer to 468,000 approx.
    Where did you read that?

There was an estate of some kind of socially assisted housing - I can never be sure which programme exactly any of them belong to - near me opened recently to great fanfare. Within a week, there was a sky antenna on 90% of them.

I could believe that the average family has a net income of 830Euro a week, but I just can't see how they could have a disposable income of 830 Euro?

That would mean that after all bills have been paid, including mortgages and car loans if applicable, the 'average' family has the guts of a grand a week to play around with? Sorry, that just doesn't ring true to me.

It's all a crock, including the shoes and coat. There are dozens of charities which will hand out any amount of stout shoes and coats to anyone who cannot afford same.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment