Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

No income tax increases in the budget because it would impact on jobs? Huh???

I know the government have been saying for ages that there wouldn't be any increases in income tax - never heard the rationale however, obviously they've spouted out some spin but I've missed it. However tonight on the Six One News they were saying there'd be no income tax increases because it would have an effect on jobs (or words to that effect) Em, maybe I'm missing something here but how the hell does an increase in personal income tax have an effect on jobs? Maybe there is a very simply explanation which I've overlooked but I don't see how adding a couple of percent on the tax someone pays threatens their job or disincentivises an employer from hiring?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm guessing the rationale is a person needs to be able to make a high six figure cash sum before they would consider launching a business and employing some people. The so called entrepreneurs have sold the line that they need a benign tax regime for themselves so that they can do their thing. This means that a third tax band that kicks in at 80 k is anathema-- far better to take an extra 1.50 a month from a sick poor person with a medical card. These people have incredible influence both overt and tacit in all arms of the state (not least the judiciary btw) they have an intense sense of privilege but don't mind driving down the minimum wage social welfare and any other benefits lesser mortals might feel are necessary.

This is also wrapped in a load of pseudo philosophical and theoretical mumbo jumbo about market forces, competitive advantage, the market fixing optimum prices automatically and on and on -this is neo liberal nonsense and stands up to no scrutiny whatsoever as in all societies the markets are rigged in favour of the wealthy.

And of course the public service is enemy no.1 except of course when it is paying out grants, fixing streets and generally doing other business friendly stuff.

In short there is no business argument for the absence of a third tax band.

What a load of Crap from FG

If take home was reduced anymore it would effect the decision of people whether they should work or not.

Work 40 hour week, another 10 hours commute
    Pay the creche
    Or sit at home

We need to incentivise EMPLOYMENT. REWARD HARD WORK.

Well done FG.Lab
    PS - tax those over €100,000 to the hilt sometime soon

they are certain to reduce the USC for low paid workers thereby increasing their take home pay and incentivising people coming off the dole

Total logic bypass by the government. Income tax reduces people power to spend money in this country, spend money abroad and to save. VAT increases reduce what people spend in this country only. Spending in this country creates jobs, spending abroad and saving doesn't. Therefore if you want to create/preserve jobs income tax increases do less damage. Either way, ANY tax increases will reduce what people spend here and should not be done. The money raised by the VAT increase could be made up by a band on all paid overtime and allowences in the public services and semi-state companies.

There must be work out there.

Was it 60,000 new PPS numbers issued so far this year to new entrants to Eire.

The 2013 budget has to take out the same amount as the 2012 budget. Perhaps more. So the CPA, taxes, benefits...if they're not hit in the 2012 budget, there's plenty of time left down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    I know the government have been saying for ages that there wouldn't be any increases in income tax - never heard the rationale however, obviously they've spouted out some spin but I've missed it. However tonight on the Six One News they were saying there'd be no income tax increases because it would have an effect on jobs (or words to that effect) Em, maybe I'm missing something here but how the hell does an increase in personal income tax have an effect on jobs?
    People who don't pay income taxes, but contribute from taxpayer, don't create jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The money raised by the VAT increase could be made up by a band on all paid overtime and allowences in the public services and semi-state companies.
    So € 300,000,000 (before deductions) is equal to € 650,000,000 is it?

You're some spoofer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment