Register to Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The System Works View Post
    Michael D. Higgins seriously claimed on RTE Radio that the heterodox Austrian School of Economics was responsible for the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act and the fact that credit was too cheap during Ireland’s boom period. This is not only a massive factual error, but to my mind a great sign of who people like Higgins are really afraid of.

Michael D. Higgins should be forced to explain what exactly he believes the Austrian School of Economics is about, as he showed no signs that he knew this during his interview on RTE Radio.

Just to remind everyone, the only advocate of Austrian Economics in the US Congress at the time, Ron Paul, actually voted against the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Ignoramus in the Áras « thesystemworks
    The Austrian School is for people with no social responsibility whatsoever. Carefully ignoring how unfettered markets dragged us into the economic mire in the first place.

Whether Higgins knows a lot about the economy is irrelevant, it doesn't matter now.

Furthermore, let's take a look at this OP, hardly the most unbiased of souls. It'll be like this for the next 7 years, as Higgins has supported Palestine on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by Gauloises; 31st October 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling Error.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Gauloises View Post
    The Austrian School is for evil people with no social responsibility whatsoever.
    Whether Higgins knows a lot about the economy is irrelevant, it doesn't matter now.

Furthermore, let's take a look at this OP, hardly the most unbiased of souls. It'll be like this for the next 7 years, as Higgins has supported Palestine on more than one occasion.
    Evil eh? Top notch analysis there, and you wonder why people don't take you seriously!

Systemdoes'nt work dislikes Mickey D and his views re Israel so we'll have to listen to this stuff for 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCash View Post
    As an Austro myself, the thought of politicians actually understanding Austrian economics is laughable.

The only thing they understand is how big a cheque comes through that letterbox.
    The laughable thing about this is the belief by a nation of idiots that a crowd of parasites, of which MDH could be described as a Queen Bee would have a bulls clue about creating jobs. Those wasters are the problem, not the solution

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by rebellin View Post
    So what is the lad with the strange user name, the system works, saying here.
    That Michael D. Higgins made false claims about the Austrian School of Economics.

But one side of Ron Paul, The System Works will not be able to champion, is Paul's active opposition to perpetual war. If you scroll through TSW's website, you will find a posting full of extravagent praise for warmonger Bibi Netenyahu.
    I have been against the Iraq War from the beginning, and I oppose the nation-building project in Afghanistan. Not long ago I wrote a long blog post criticizing NATO in Libya. Libya’s Revolution: Western Guns, African Gold and Conspiracy « thesystemworks

I have disagreed with many of Israel's military actions and other policies, though I believe that Israel's wars have been of a far different nature than America's global crusades that have little to do with her own people's real interests.

So first of all ditch the user name, if you want anybody to believe you.
    The username is meant to be ironic.

Secondly, why not figure out what you're actually talking about before you start a thread calling someone else an ignoramus.
    I fully understand what I am talking about. It is you who doesn't seem to understand the point of the thread: Michael D. Higgins lied about or misrepresented the Austrian School of Economics.

Let's write a letter to MDH and educate him.

Damn it I won't rest until he apologies....

Austrianism is an odd beast. On the one hand the ABCT is almost certainly far closer to the truth that the standard models....in my adult lifetime I've seen numerous bubbles, booms and busts, and the Austrian model, cheap credit, malinvestment, the effects of what I call the "buffer overflow error" skewing and distorting the value of pricing mechanisms during inflationary credit-fuelled bubbles, definitely works for me.

And then on the other hand the solution most Austrians propose for this problem - a sort of anarcho-libertarian capitalism with absolute deregulation and the bare minimalist state imaginable is just plain nuts and would lead to a world even worse than the current horrible dystopia.

Quote Originally Posted by The System Works View Post
    Michael D. Higgins seriously claimed on RTE Radio that the heterodox Austrian School of Economics was responsible for the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act and the fact that credit was too cheap during Ireland’s boom period. This is not only a massive factual error, but to my mind a great sign of who people like Higgins are really afraid of.

Michael D. Higgins should be forced to explain what exactly he believes the Austrian School of Economics is about, as he showed no signs that he knew this during his interview on RTE Radio.

Just to remind everyone, the only advocate of Austrian Economics in the US Congress at the time, Ron Paul, actually voted against the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Ignoramus in the Áras « thesystemworks
    Ireland is having it's Obama Moment now, having realised the media, er, forgot to probe MDH's past properly the way they did with other candidates, and having elected a complete loon to a high position. Fortunately, MDH has little power as president, but he will go off abroad on the taxpayers' dime spouting his worn-out brand of mindless slush to all and sundry on our behalf.

regarding the OP, MDH may be a "political scientist" but he is indeed an economic illiterate. Didn't he blame "capitalism" for the famine in East Africa? And he seems to think "the market" is some kind of person that, if you don't chain it him properly, will run amok knocking stuff over. His knowledge of American politics is limited to hating "the Tea Party" and "Sarah Palin" although he gives no indication of understanding either (or even wanting to), and he thinks said villains believe in "no healthcare". He is a dangerous lunatic in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Austrianism is an odd beast. On the one hand the ABCT is almost certainly far closer to the truth that the standard models....in my adult lifetime I've seen numerous bubbles, booms and busts, and the Austrian model, cheap credit, malinvestment, the effects of what I call the "buffer overflow error" skewing and distorting the value of pricing mechanisms during inflationary credit-fuelled bubbles, definitely works for me.

And then on the other hand the solution most Austrians propose for this problem - a sort of anarcho-libertarian capitalism with absolute deregulation and the bare minimalist state imaginable is just plain nuts and would lead to a world even worse than the current horrible dystopia.
    There's unanimity in belief of the cause of the bubble. There is none when it comes to the solution. I know some who would like to move at once to the anarcho system you mention but not all feel that way or think that shock would be beneficial. However if people agree that the problem is central bank regulation surely people can agree that scraping that system is a good thing?

Is this thread kind of like a creche for crazy posters?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment